Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Swirl Mark Removal- lexus dealer or local shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-02, 12:40 PM
bad-gs400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirl Mark Removal- lexus dealer or local shop

I have really bad swirl marks on my black 99 GS400 and I'm going to get them buffed out somewhere. Is it best to take it to my local Lexus dealer or can I trust the local detailing shop to do this. The local place said they can get them out easily for $100. Anybody have any experiences?
Old 01-13-02, 07:46 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having owned a black car once, I know what you mean. The swirl marks could be wax that has not been properly removed or it could be fine scratches in the paint.

The former would require a good rewax and buff either by hand or with a random orbital buffer. The latter would require proffesional re-polishing of the surface by an experienced detailer using an orbital buffer.

(swirl marks are usually caused by the miss use of an orbital buffer)

Most store bought swirl mark removers only cover or hide and eventually wear out.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-02, 12:53 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

I agree with you Genearch....

Why not do it yourself???? For what you'll pay the dealer, you could buy a PC orbital buffer, some SMR, and wax topper.
Old 01-14-02, 12:56 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

p.s. Those swirl marks where most likely caused by poor towels and "brushless" car washes.

Jahummer --- I think you're thinking of rotary buffer swirl and burn marks... it's almost impossible to put swirl marks on your car with an orbital buffer so long as the surface it clean before you use it.
Old 01-14-02, 04:48 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that is what I meant.

BTW once paid dealer $200.00 for a polish and it was terrible. So never again. I bought all of the tools and do it myself now
Old 01-14-02, 05:22 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

i hear ya... spend some $$ up front on quality, tested/recommended products and do it right. Besides, if you must keep your car clean, it's certainly cheaper in the long run:

$15 wash/week x 52 weeks/year = $780 in car washes!!!!

spend a few hundred to start on good cleaners, sealant, mitts, towels, etc and start saving money everytime you wash, polish, or wax.
Old 01-17-02, 11:37 AM
exdotcomer
Driver School Candidate

I just paid Classic Shine in Greenwich, CT $195.00 for a full detail, which included the exterior and Interior. It was the most amzing job I have ever seen, and I USED to own a detailing business. I stoped because I could never detail my own car exactly how I wanted!
Well, let me tell you... they didn't miss a spot- attention to detail is what I'm talking about...The interior was clean to begin with, so I thought that they couldn't get it any cleaner. Wrong! the interior was MINT-Show room clean (keep in mind my ES is a 1998). The exterior is metallic blue... and they got rid of all swirl marks, and even made sure the lugs were cleaned, and also inside the rims. They did a great job and I will plug them any chance I get! I have horry stories from the past too.I was burned by "detailers" in the past- from getting the car scratched, to dents, to cutting my leather seat. I try to do my best when I clean my own car, the neighbors look at me so weird- I wash my car almost every day and wax it once a month. I know they think I'm crazy! I just love a clean car. The way I see it, this detail job was worth every penny! I will have them do the car twice a year now. Once before winter and once afterwards. I can wax it on my own during Spring and Summer- I'll use Zymol Carbon!!!