Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

how often to wax pearl white???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 04:40 AM
idsrvit
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how often to wax pearl white???

OK guys...dont beat me up on this question. Remember I am someone's Mom. I tried searching, but could not find an exact answer to my question. I have a 99 pearl white lx 470 and I am wondering how often this paint should be waxed. In all honesty...I have owned the car for 4 years and have only had it detailed/waxed once. It is garage kept..and shines beautifully. Call me crazy...but I kind of remember the guy I bought it from saying it has some kind of protective coating that it should never need waxed. (???) I must admit...it still shines better than 90% of the cars on the road...but the other day, my neighbor pulled up to the bus stop in her BMW that was just detailed and it was blinding me. My car did not have that much shine...so Im wondering if it is time??? Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-15-07, 05:15 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ideally once a year would be nice. claying would be 2 times every 2 years but depending on where you park it. but since you park it in the garage it should be in pristine condition. and the guy you bought it from is wrong, the protective coating is probably a clear bra which is only on the front/side mirrors. good luck though!
Old 10-15-07, 05:51 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

head over to autopia, find a (professional) detailer that is local, not just a random car wash detail - that would suck - and then you would be blinding the bmw mom
Old 10-15-07, 05:59 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Never needs wax" is a line car salesmen feed to people who, when considering the purchase of a vehicle, may express doubts about caring for a certain color, and they're either referring to the clearcoat, or if the customer has chosen some type of dealer applied "paint protection package", then that could be the suspect in such a cliche'.

Either way, there is no such thing as "never needs wax", at least IF you really care about the paint.

If the clearcoat is what they think never needs wax or care, then how? It's PAINT! Not magic, just paint. Urethane enamel. It does have UV inhibitors, but that only goes so far.

Waxing or sealing it 2 to 3x a year at minimum will allow it to gleam for many years to come, and help prevent other issues from causing immediate damage (bugs, acid rain, bird droppings etc.)

Best wishes.
Old 10-15-07, 04:21 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

twice a year minimum for wax. (Gold Class Cleaner Wax/Caranuba)
possibly once a year for a synthetic (like Meguiars NXT)
You should also consider getting your car professionally detailed every other year (clay/polish/glaze/wax).
I wax every two months...just because i have nothing better to do lol.
Old 10-15-07, 10:52 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

"Never needs wax" probably means that the car has had Xzilon paint protection installed. If you haven't taken it back to the dealer for reapplication (probably every 6 months), you've probably voided the warranty anyway.

If you plan on having it detailed by a pro, you might consider looking for one that can offer you a maintenance plan. Every month, wash/wax, and maybe every 3 months, get a full detail. Claybar definitely should be done twice a year.
Old 10-16-07, 04:35 AM
idsrvit
Driver

Default detail

Thanks everyone for the input...sounds like it is time to schedule a detail job. I know this is going to sound like nails on a chalkboard to many of you...but Im sitting here cracking up laughing at the suggestions of having my car detailed on a monthly basis. You gotta remember here...I am the kind of Mom who may as well hang a taxi sign on my roof...I am constantly running a car load of boys to football/lacrosse games/practices on a daily basis. I could probably come pretty close to finding a complete happy meal between/under my seats at times by the end of the week. I'll be happy (lucky) to get it in once a year for this luxury. But thanks for the suggestions to all.
Old 10-16-07, 10:10 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Detailing the car on a yearly basis might actually cost more than monthly. A quick wash/wax on the exterior and vacuum/wipedown on the interior should run no more than $100/mo. That will keep your "soccer-mom mobile" turning heads and having others asking how you keep it so clean. A mobile detailer can work around your schedule and shouldn't take more than a couple hours when the kids are in school. A full detail every 6 months/1year after the accumulation of food, toys, dust, etc will definitely take more than 6-8hrs.
Old 10-16-07, 01:10 PM
idsrvit
Driver

OK...how about quarterly???? Maybe he/she will arrange to meet me at the football/lacrosse fields
Old 10-16-07, 03:32 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman

Waxing or sealing it 2 to 3x a year at minimum will allow it to gleam for many years to come, and help prevent other issues from causing immediate damage (bugs, acid rain, bird droppings etc.)
this doesnt appy to detail nuts like our selves cause we both wax about 2 times a month and have the pearl white id say the more you wax the car the more pearl you will see !!
Old 10-16-07, 04:55 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Just use the Meguiar's cleaner/wax. It is easily found in Wal-mart or Target in the for under 6 dollars. Works awesome for white finishes. Just wash the car, dry, apply the wax and then wipe it off. If you have no experience, don't worry. I'm sure at some time in your life you have sprayed some type of cleaner on a counter or window and then wiped it off with a cloth/towel/rag. This is the exact same thing, only in a paste. Foolproof. You should (if willing to do so) be able to do your SUV in under an hour, not including the roof.
Old 10-16-07, 05:15 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I buff/polish my car at least once a year. I use NXT wax once at least 2-3 weeks. I believe waxing the car often give it more protection from contamination. I can tell when my car needs wax by running my fingers on the paint, if it isn't smooth anymore then I wax it. Here are a couple pics after I waxed my black IS last Saturday.

Old 10-16-07, 05:16 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

idsrvit
If you do decide to get your LX detailed, you may want to apply some type of sealer such as Klasse instead of just a good wax. Klasse sealant/glaze will provide an elastic layer which is chip resistant (not chip proof) and provides a wet look finish for up to 12 months.
Old 10-19-07, 02:24 PM
idsrvit
Driver

Default nice

TTO...that kind of shine is what I'm talkin about. That looks real nice!!!
Old 10-20-07, 12:10 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sealants usually last from 6 months all the way to the upwards of 8 months, depending on product, technique, surface prep, and number of washes in between..etc..Carnuaba type waxes last up 3 months...It really depends what you are using and maintenance in between coats..Wash and QD in between washes will lengthen the longevity..I usually coat another layer every month or so and re-detail every 3-4 months because I'm a maniac..

Last edited by One HoT; 10-20-07 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: how often to wax pearl white???