Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Lexus paint-clearcoat is weak and worthless. Should we unite in a class action suit?
I agree the the weak paint-clearcoat issue, count me in the class action suit against Toyota-Lexus.
46.27%
I don't agree, the paint-clearcoat is absolutely perfect just the way it is!
16.42%
I don't agree, the paint-clearcoat is weak, yes, but it does conforms to the US Federal regulations.
37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus paint-clear coat. Should we unite in a Class Action Suit? POLL INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 04:24 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Warrionex, If you go back through all 589 of your comments and threads you will find that there is a definite pattern in your words regarding legal action against Lexus or whoever. I'm simply stating that I've noticed this pattern and pointed it out to other CL members. I mean, really, a class action lawsuit against Lexus because your paint is too soft and chips easily??? Come on, man. Do you realize just how silly that sounds?
Maybe your real class action lawsuit should be against all of the dirt and gravel truck companies. It's their trucks, after all, that cause all these chips to begin with. Leave Lexus out of it, it's not their fault.
Legal action as a last resort in a few threads, an you consider that to be pattern. Unbelievable !! To you, legal action is inherently bad, to me is a safe and sound alternative in the right situations when the law is in you side!! I obviously I prefer to work things out first, but you can't cross your arms and forget everything if your initial efforts doesn't prevail and you rights are affected.

You obviously know that there won't be any case here if Toyota abides to the rules and regulations but I insist that you let everyone speak themselves on how the fill about it. Man, let everyone vote, that's it!! How difficult is that to understand?

And let me tell you, your blind defense against Toyota/lexus it's very suspicious. What if the paint is mix with cheapo material to save cost and receive higher profits. This is speculative of course but it is always good to investigate everything. Why the paint is sustancially better in Mercedes than in Lexus? Why? I don't know. But don't you think people has the right to know or at least ask Lexus about it? Some changes could be made in the process. Don't you think so! I know your are with me on that.

Regards,

Warrionex
Old 09-22-07, 10:46 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I would be happy if Lexus would pay at least half or better yet 75% the price to get the hood and front bumper repainted which is where most of the problems are at. As for legal action I think making them replace the far too common broken door lock actuators for free instead of us paying around $500 at the dealer for their design defect is more appropriate for a class action suit.
Old 09-29-07, 03:26 AM
Static805
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paint is just fine...Look at my car...ORIGINAL PAINT! you just gota wax it ...lexus is high maintenane well waxing wize good paint just gota maintain it
Old 10-01-07, 04:55 AM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have waxed my front end 3 times since getting the car in January and that has done nothing to help with the chips and nicks. Please try again, this is not the answer.
Old 10-01-07, 07:03 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Wait, the EPA isn't done destroying our paint just yet. If you don't like the brittle water based paint mandated by the EPA rest assured that they are still actively regulating paint and paint shops.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has released a new proposed Auto Refinishing Regulation... (Sept 17, 2007)
Source: http://www.asashop.org/takingthehill/
The actual EPA proposal is linked in the source.
Old 10-01-07, 12:23 PM
modi-fied
Driver School Candidate

hahahahha, this is so ridiculous.
You guys should sue the rocks that chipped your paint!!!
Old 10-01-07, 05:53 PM
Necessary
Driver School Candidate

unless its a safety issue I doubt anything will get solved
Old 10-02-07, 11:50 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Necessary
unless its a safety issue I doubt anything will get solved
Even a safety issue I doubt would get resolved either, there is a problem with the lower ball joint design in GS sedans in which they have been failing around 90K miles and over which causes a bunch of suspension damage as well as can be extremely dangerous if the car is traveling at over 30mph, Lexus has done absolutely nothing to address this design defect so people who do not read up on Club Lexus or other Lexus forums will not really know that there is an improperly designed lower ball joint that is prone to failing prematurely. Luckily I do not think there have been any serious injuries yet but I am sure they are going to happen. Lexus should do the right thing and address this problem by replacing the defective ball joints with ones that are designed to last but they are choosing to ignore it. It may bite them in the end and they are aware of the problem. Sometimes companies have to bite the bullet and spend the movie to resolve things that they should.
Old 10-02-07, 11:53 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Even a safety issue I doubt would get resolved either, there is a problem with the lower ball joint design in GS sedans in which they have been failing around 90K miles and over which causes a bunch of suspension damage as well as can be extremely dangerous if the car is traveling at over 30mph, Lexus has done absolutely nothing to address this design defect so people who do not read up on Club Lexus or other Lexus forums will not really know that there is an improperly designed lower ball joint that is prone to failing prematurely. Luckily I do not think there have been any serious injuries yet but I am sure they are going to happen. Lexus should do the right thing and address this problem by replacing the defective ball joints with ones that are designed to last but they are choosing to ignore it. It may bite them in the end and they are aware of the problem. Sometimes companies have to bite the bullet and spend the movie to resolve things that they should.

"prone to failing early"

sounds like someone isn't doing their maintenance inspections... Lexus specifies inspection intervals for those - its not like they fail all at once, they always get loose and have play prior to failing... these should be checked at standard intervals (every 30k? I think) and caught prior to failing...

GM has a huge issue with their 3.x liter V6 motors found in all of their FWD cars from 1995 to 2002 - they leak coolant from the intake manifold gaskets (evidence supports the theory that the OE gaskets aren't compatible with dexcool, but its not rock solid) Anyways, its like an $800 repair... No recalls there either...
Old 10-02-07, 05:48 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Static805
Paint is just fine...Look at my car...ORIGINAL PAINT! you just gota wax it ...lexus is high maintenane well waxing wize good paint just gota maintain it
The problem here is your car is a 91 when the paint was good. Even my 99 LS paint is/was much better than my 04 Lexus paint. Trust me. It is the paints on the newer Lexus that is the problem, not maintenance.
Old 10-02-07, 06:52 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm not having a much on an issue with my 04 paint. I know the paint is now more brittle being that it's water based instead of solvent based but look at my 04. This vehicle has had 6 round trips from Milwaukee, WI to Cape Coral, FL (3,200 miles each) of freeway driving and I have no chips. I also drive the freeways around here in the winter when they are loaded with salt and I cringe when I hear the salt hitting the front of the car but so far the paint has stood up well. There is no clear bra or anything on this car. In one trip I was behind a gravel truck when his tailgate broke dropping a lot of golf ball sized gravel on the freeway right in front of me. These stones were bouncing off the front bumper and when I stopped to check for damage there was none. This is a Japan built RX if that makes any difference. So what does your car look like that prompts your complaints and where was it built?

Old 10-02-07, 09:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
"prone to failing early"

sounds like someone isn't doing their maintenance inspections... Lexus specifies inspection intervals for those - its not like they fail all at once, they always get loose and have play prior to failing... these should be checked at standard intervals (every 30k? I think) and caught prior to failing...

GM has a huge issue with their 3.x liter V6 motors found in all of their FWD cars from 1995 to 2002 - they leak coolant from the intake manifold gaskets (evidence supports the theory that the OE gaskets aren't compatible with dexcool, but its not rock solid) Anyways, its like an $800 repair... No recalls there either...
I don't think so, this is not a simple maintenance issue. I have read about and know several people that this happend to with little to no warning and Lexus never informed them of getting them inspected nor did their mechanics and the car gave no warning signs either. Some of the failures were well before 90K miles. Lower ball joints are not supposed to fail before or anywhere near 100K miles unless the car is driven extremely hard and takes alot of abuse. Ball joints are generally supposed to last the life of the car, at least that is what all mechanics have said to me when I insisted they be checked. My family and I keep our cars well over 100K miles some closer to 200K miles and have never once had any kind of lower ball joint issue, it is not normal for these ball joints to be failing like they are and it is a poor design where they destroy the suspension in the GS when they do fail and can cause a serious accident.
Old 10-02-07, 10:05 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't think so, this is not a simple maintenance issue. I have read about and know several people that this happend to with little to no warning and Lexus never informed them of getting them inspected nor did their mechanics and the car gave no warning signs either. Some of the failures were well before 90K miles. Lower ball joints are not supposed to fail before or anywhere near 100K miles unless the car is driven extremely hard and takes alot of abuse. Ball joints are generally supposed to last the life of the car, at least that is what all mechanics have said to me when I insisted they be checked. My family and I keep our cars well over 100K miles some closer to 200K miles and have never once had any kind of lower ball joint issue, it is not normal for these ball joints to be failing like they are and it is a poor design where they destroy the suspension in the GS when they do fail and can cause a serious accident.
I see cars with less than 100k miles that need ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, etc - and yes, all are designed to last the life of the car, but the fact of the matter is, they don't... you live with it... as far as not knowing to check them, well, whoever is doing your maintenance is to blame there... as you will see in the chart below, Lexus recommends ball joint inspection every 15k miles... We catch bad ball joints all the time - every time a customers car is in for oil change, we shake down the front end just for precaution. Fact of the matter is, if you don't look for it, you won't see it... good chances are they were never checked prior - or at least not checked properly or thoroughly... ball joints don't just break, they were first...
Attached Thumbnails Lexus paint-clear coat.   Should we unite in a Class Action Suit?  POLL INSIDE-balljoints.jpg  
Old 03-30-11, 12:33 PM
NealK
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus is well aware of their paint problems. Class action suit filed

http://www.protectingtheconsumer.com...t-problems.php

My name is on the complaint. Please see link and pass the word. I have a 1999 blazer with zero chips and better paint job. Theres a video on youtube showing a test between a Ford Taurus and an LS 460. The LS look like it went a 100,000 miles and the front end is destroyed while the Taurus looks great.
Old 03-30-11, 03:03 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Good bump of an old thread; that link has some good info. If you personally are having a problem, go for it, pursuit of perfection and all that.
But don't try to convince others or expect sympathy from people who aren't having an issue.

However it turns out, it'll make the lexus I buy in 2015 that much better.

Quick Reply: Lexus paint-clear coat. Should we unite in a Class Action Suit? POLL INSIDE