Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Glass Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 04:35 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Glass Cleaning

I've cleaned a lot of glass and have found two OTC products that are superior at cleaning oil and film. The first is Stoners Invisible Glass. The second is Meguiar's NXT Glass Cleaner. When used with short nap micro-fiber towels they provide excellent cleaning with streak free results. There is a third product I'll mention that is extremely good but it is only available from Meguiar's direct. It's their Detailer Line Glass Cleaner concentrate. This gallon of concentrate gets mixed with water at 1:10 ratio. So the gallon turns out 11 gallons of a most remarkable cleaner. For those who detail a lot of cars this is worth getting.

Some Do's and Don'ts.

• Do clean your windows in the shade when the glass is cool.

• Do use a microfiber dampened with the glass cleaner and wipe dry with a separate dry miocrofiber using light strokes until the glass is dry and slippery smooth. If you feel any drag on the dry towel, the glass is not yet clean and you need to redo it until it feels slippery.

• Do use a product on your interior dash and vinyl that doesn't emit a lot of film or oils. I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. It isn't shiny, provides UV protection and doesn't seem to outgas. 303 also works well if you can get over the smell.

• Don't use a glass cleaner with ammonia in it. This will leave a film and ammonia might just ruin a tint.

• Don't use newspaper. This used to work back when the newsprint was printed on high rag paper with real inks. Today they will usually just leave oily streaks. Microfibers work much better.

• Don't let your microfiber towels get anywhere close to any cotton towels. MF towels draw up cotton fibers like a damp sponge draws up water and you will have a major lint problems with them forever after.

These products and microfibers work well on both the inside and outside. Occasionally you might find that the exterior glass might need more agressive cleanning. When I detail a vehicle, I begin by washing and claying. After claying the paint I clay the exterior glass. Clay will safely remove a lot of really tough road grime on the glass, especially the windshield.

Some Lexus vehicles come with a permanent water repelling coating on the side glass so be sure you know what your are doing before using any abrasives on this glass or you will damage this coating. Using steel wool, for example, will cut right through this coating.

I've also known people who wax their glass but I've found that this usually causes poor visibility at night in the rain.

Glass is hard and doesn't need wax to protect it unlike your paint. Wax clearly degrades over time and especially under harsh environmental pollution and sunlight. Why put something on your glass that will degrade your visibility. It's simply not needed. If you want the water to rush off the glass it's probably better to use a product designed for glass like RainX or Aquapel. I prefer clean glass as any coating you put on the glass may cause wiper chatter or visibility issues.
Old 09-13-07, 04:43 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks!
Old 09-13-07, 06:28 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I've also known people who wax their glass but I've found that this usually causes poor visibility at night in the rain.... I prefer clean glass as any coating you put on the glass may cause wiper chatter or visibility issues.
Roger on the wiper chatter. I stopped waxing windshields after a severe bout of wiper chatter on my Honda minivan. For the first few minutes into the rainstorm I thought the wiper motors were kaput because of the incredible noise, severe skipping, and what not. But no, after a couple of minutes everything gradually returned to normal and realized the wax had been the culprit. Since then, nothing on *any* glass. Good write up, and I can only vouch for the Stoner's product.

JB
Old 09-13-07, 12:45 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

good info

thanks Jim!
Old 09-13-07, 12:47 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Roger on the wiper chatter. I stopped waxing windshields after a severe bout of wiper chatter on my Honda minivan. For the first few minutes into the rainstorm I thought the wiper motors were kaput because of the incredible noise, severe skipping, and what not. But no, after a couple of minutes everything gradually returned to normal and realized the wax had been the culprit. Since then, nothing on *any* glass. Good write up, and I can only vouch for the Stoner's product.

JB
I use rainX for my Honda....
rain will fly away when you drive....
Old 09-13-07, 10:52 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

• Don't let your microfiber towels get anywhere close to any cotton towels. MF towels draw up cotton fibers like a damp sponge draws up water and you will have a major lint problems with them forever after.

Great tip. I'll keep that in mind. Many thanks!
Old 11-14-09, 07:05 AM
Akachan LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safely Claying Lexus Glass

I've cleaned a lot of glass and have found two OTC products that are superior at cleaning oil and film. The first is Stoners Invisible Glass. The second is Meguiar's NXT Glass Cleaner. When used with short nap micro-fiber towels they provide excellent cleaning with streak free results. There is a third product I'll mention that is extremely good but it is only available from Meguiar's direct. It's their Detailer Line Glass Cleaner concentrate. This gallon of concentrate gets mixed with water at 1:10 ratio. So the gallon turns out 11 gallons of a most remarkable cleaner. For those who detail a lot of cars this is worth getting.

Some Do's and Don'ts.

• Do clean your windows in the shade when the glass is cool.

• Do use a microfiber dampened with the glass cleaner and wipe dry with a separate dry miocrofiber using light strokes until the glass is dry and slippery smooth. If you feel any drag on the dry towel, the glass is not yet clean and you need to redo it until it feels slippery.

• Do use a product on your interior dash and vinyl that doesn't emit a lot of film or oils. I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. It isn't shiny, provides UV protection and doesn't seem to outgas. 303 also works well if you can get over the smell.

• Don't use a glass cleaner with ammonia in it. This will leave a film and ammonia might just ruin a tint.

• Don't use newspaper. This used to work back when the newsprint was printed on high rag paper with real inks. Today they will usually just leave oily streaks. Microfibers work much better.

These products and microfibers work well on both the inside and outside. Occasionally you might find that the exterior glass might need more agressive cleanning. When I detail a vehicle, I begin by washing and claying. After claying the paint I clay the exterior glass. Clay will safely remove a lot of really tough road grime on the glass, especially the windshield.

Some Lexus vehicles come with a permanent water repelling coating on the side glass so be sure you know what your are doing before using any abrasives on this glass or you will damage this coating. Using steel wool, for example, will cut right through this coating.

I've also known people who wax their glass but I've found that this usually causes poor visibility at night in the rain.

Glass is hard and doesn't need wax to protect it unlike your paint. Wax clearly degrades over time and especially under harsh environmental pollution and sunlight. Why put something on your glass that will degrade your visibility. It's simply not needed. If you want the water to rush off the glass it's probably better to use a product designed for glass like RainX or Aquapel. I prefer clean glass as any coating you put on the glass may cause wiper chatter or visibility issues.
I have a 2008 ES 350. Does anyone know if claying the Lexus name and infomation on the windows and windshields will damage them or take them off. I want to avoid removing them if I can.

Also, does anyone know if claying the water repellant glass on the front door windows will remove the water repellant coating?
Old 11-14-09, 11:29 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Akachan LS
I have a 2008 ES 350. Does anyone know if claying the Lexus name and infomation on the windows and windshields will damage them or take them off. I want to avoid removing them if I can.

Also, does anyone know if claying the water repellant glass on the front door windows will remove the water repellant coating?
Clay will not remove the Lexus info etched in the glass nor will it remove the permanent water repellant surface. I clay my glass with every detail, typically 2-4 time a year.
Old 11-14-09, 01:17 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

www.autodetailingsolutions.com

is an excellent site for ALL meguiars products. I am glad to see another Meg's user on this board! It is the best.

I love the Detailer Line Glass Cleaner. The Berry smell is amazing.
Old 11-14-09, 09:09 PM
lxslvr2500
Rookie

In terms of just the usual regular hand washing, when washing the windows, can I use dish soap? what about windex? or just forget about all that and just use the same soap that i wash the rest of the car with? sorry i sound naive im only 17
Old 11-15-09, 07:12 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by lxslvr2500
In terms of just the usual regular hand washing, when washing the windows, can I use dish soap? what about windex? or just forget about all that and just use the same soap that i wash the rest of the car with? sorry i sound naive im only 17
I wash the car with car wash soap. When dry, I do the glass with one of my automotive glass cleaners. Products that I prefer to use in order of their performance are:

1. Meguiar's Detailer Line Glass Cleaner Concentrate. This is sold in a 1 gallon size and makes 11 gallons of totally awesome glass cleaner.

2. Stoners Invisible Glass. Sold in many automotive parts stores as well as Walmart and Target.

Just to add a comment on the Meguiar's Detailer line of products. This lineup is really top notch. I find the gallon sizes to be very economical but I do a lot of cars. The downside is that the shipping is usually cost prohibitive. I say usually, as two to three times a year Meguiar's offers a deal with free shipping and this is when I restock. In fact, one of those times is now. Any Meg's order until 12/1/09 will get 10% off and free shipping if you enter the discount code MEGNOV9 at checkout at their meguiarsdirect.com website.

Also if you think 11 gallons of glass cleaner is too much you'd be surprised at just how fast this will go. I use it around the house for all the windows. My wife loves it for the mirrors and kitchen appliances. She also gives some to her friends and relatives. LOL, so I need to reorder frequently. Seriously this is the best glass cleaner I've ever used.

My favorite detailer line products include:
•All Purpose Cleaner $14.49 - dilution ratio of 10:1 or 4:1 makes 11 gallons or 5 gallons
•Super Degreaser $15.99 - dilution ratio of 10:1 or 4:1 makes 11 gallons or 5 gallons
•Glass Cleaner Concentrate $18.49 - dilution ratio of 10:1 makes 11 gallons

I also love their spray bottles and sprayers.

Chemical Resistant Sprayer $2.49
Standard Sprayer $1.49

APC Bottle $1.69 uses Chemical Resistant Sprayer $2.49
Super Degreaser Bottle $1.69 uses Chemical Resistant Sprayer $2.49
Glass Cleaner Bottle $1.69 uses Standard Sprayer $1.49

Besides being clearly marked with the product used and easily identified, these bottles also have the correct dilution markings on the bottles so that you full up to the mark with water and then fil to the second mark with product to make the correct mixture.

OK, I suspect this is more than you wanted to read.

Last edited by jfelbab; 11-15-09 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-15-09, 09:15 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

And people are supposed to learn this elsewhere, how? Osmosis? It's tribal knowledge that only lives when the tribe shares it, Jim.

Big Mack
Old 11-21-09, 10:20 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
And people are supposed to learn this elsewhere, how? Osmosis? It's tribal knowledge that only lives when the tribe shares it, Jim.

Big Mack
exactly what big mack said. i read your post twice and will re-read prior to making my purchase. only way i can learn is through word of mouth and learn from these forums as i do not detail professionally. thanks for the valuable info
Old 11-21-09, 12:26 PM
jfelbab

You are certainly welcome but keep in mind that there are a lot of ways to clean glass. These are my opinions, products and techniques, based on my experiences. There are several other equally good opinions here from very talented detailers.

I kind of like the sig of a well known detailer/enthusiast who's opinion I respect greatly.

"Find something you like and use it often"

If you find something you like it means that it works well for you and you will likely use it often.