Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Any suggestions for BEST car wax?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-07, 03:15 PM
GNG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions for BEST car wax?

Curious what you guys are using to wax your cars - I'm betting you have some strong opinions for the best brand. I am looking for that compromise of time and effort to best shine. In other words, I don't need a spray on, but I also don't want to take all day to wax. Also, do you think I should wait until the car is a certain age to wax it?
Old 09-03-07, 03:24 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Moving this to the detail forum.
Old 09-03-07, 03:25 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Wax when you get it.
Today's urethane paints don't gas off like other paint formulas.
I've used Zaino products for the last 8 years.
I love the stuff.
Old 09-03-07, 08:03 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Surface preperation is 99% of how a job will turnout. If the surface isn't properly prepped, even the most expensive waxes will not show their full potential. I have probably 20 different types of waxes and sealants and have experimented quite a bit to see what looks best on what color. For my daughters pearl white I like using Megs NXT, On my almond colored Ram, I like using Duragloss 111. On our Dark Blue Mark VII, I like Souveran, and on the Lexus, DP MaxWax on top of Klasse glaze/sealant is the ticket. (see photo)
It just depends on what you are trying to acheive and how much time and effort you are willing to put into it.
Old 09-03-07, 10:46 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like MShybrid i have a ton of glazes, polishes and waxes including KLASS (the KLASS twins as they are called in the detail world). I prefer liquid waxes since I use a PC dual action polisher to apply. Off the shelf wax that works good is the MOTHERs carnuba paste wax. I prefer paste wax if im waxing by hand.

My go to paste type is meguiar's #16 (see pic) but from what I understand this wax may no longer be available because of VOC compliance issues but I am sure meguiar's will come up with something good. Again if you're not wanting to get into the "boutique" products (poorboys, zaino, ect) I have heard a lot of good things about meguiar's NXT line and those are readily available at any auto parts store.

One thing about the KLASS products, you have to put them on extremely thin or you will be scrubbing that stuff off for HOURS!. On a damp foam applicator pad a pea size drop will cover 1/2 a hood (depending on the hood size). Using so little product may make you think it's not enough but trust me, it's more than enough. I stopped using the sealant glaze (grey bottle) because i found the work in removing it wasn't worth the results. The Klass all-in-one (AIO) red bottle is great if you live in one of those areas that has harsh winters. apply it before winter hits and you're good to go for the next 3-4 months.

KLASS AIO is also good if you're not into waxing and polishing your car often, lasts a long time and keeps the car looking good. I do a complete polish and wax every 3-4 months so I don't use these types of products anymore since they'll be scrubbed away in a few months.

Finally to make any wax look good make sure to clay bar the car first if the finish feels rough when you drag your fingers across it. these are contaminants that have bonded to your paint. scrub it off with a clay bar and the waxing part will be easy on, easy off - because you now have a smooth surface.

Here's the meg's #16

Last edited by Armand; 09-03-07 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-03-07, 11:43 PM
fdelement
Driver

Meguire NXT is good enough for me.
Old 09-05-07, 09:29 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fdelement
Meguire NXT is good enough for me.
I guess you have low standards.

Personally, my cars wear Zaino...or they wear nothing at all.
Old 09-05-07, 09:40 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

My suggestion would be to use that search function button that's up there. You will find more discussions on this topic than you would ever imagine with pretty thorough discussions of pros and cons and some of the factors to keep in mind, your location, costs, personal finickyness, etc.
Old 09-05-07, 10:20 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Here is a FYI.

End of season clearance sale while supplies last, all Meguiar's products are marked down 25 to 50% at Autopia-carcare. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/meguiars.html

Meg's #21 is an outstanding sealant and unlike some other sealants, you can use #21 over a glaze for that unmatched wet look.
Old 09-06-07, 09:01 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GNG
Curious what you guys are using to wax your cars - I'm betting you have some strong opinions for the best brand. I am looking for that compromise of time and effort to best shine. In other words, I don't need a spray on, but I also don't want to take all day to wax. Also, do you think I should wait until the car is a certain age to wax it?
Oh my! This is like one of those dreaded oil questions. But since you appear to be one of us with "low standards", just get whatever wax/sealant is on closeout at your local auto parts store and save your money for your next Lexus.

After three years and several hundreds wasted on boutique products, I've concluded that... there's only one wax formulation and one sealant formulation and everyone packages it differently, call it whatever they want, and make whatever wild claims they wish. And after you properly apply it on your *well prepped* paint, nobody can tell the difference.
Old 09-06-07, 09:15 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And after you properly apply it on your *well prepped* paint, nobody can tell the difference.
I agree with you 100%..This is one of the reason why I feel that brands like Zaino is a bit overhyped..Don't get me wrong Zaino is a good product but, I don't see a bit of a difference btw Zaino and a OTC sealant over a professionally prepped surface..
Old 09-07-07, 01:24 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Jim hit the nail on the head when he stated that a well prepped surface is the key. Prep the surface properly and anything will look good on it.
Old 09-07-07, 02:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I always find myself reaching the DP wax whenever I wax a car. It's easy to apply and buff off. Not to mention, it really brings out the metallic flakes.

My friend has the Souveran Paste wax and the DP is at least 90% of what the sourveran is, but without the heavy price tag. The DP seems to last longer too.

But no matter what, you're going to have to polish the paint. Can't just slap on wax and call it a day if your paint is not in optimal condition.
Old 09-07-07, 05:41 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

When I first got souveran I put it on everything that was painted, but it only lasted for like 3 days or so, but my car looked awesome. My commonly used waxes are S100, #26, and nxt tech wax.