Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

The ULTIMATE Tinting Guide

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 12:43 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
Hope this has not already been coverd in here......i have a 2011 IS250....does the factory window already have a bit of a tinted glass to it?

I'm thinking of getting 50% all around, windshield as well. I had this on my S2000 with a hard top, because of the cabin being so small.

Everyone says 50% is throwing money away....but I feel with my black interior it will look just fine.
My ES was done as an add on so was already on it...wonder how much was tinted
Old 02-17-17, 09:54 PM
jungleX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been calling around tinting shops and one shop said that they would remove the door panels inside to do a good job. Just concerned that they may do damage e.g. stuffs up alignment, breaks something and not say anything, etc. Thoughts? My car is a 2017 RX450h.
Old 02-19-17, 04:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jungleX
Been calling around tinting shops and one shop said that they would remove the door panels inside to do a good job. Just concerned that they may do damage e.g. stuffs up alignment, breaks something and not say anything, etc. Thoughts? My car is a 2017 RX450h.
A tint shop that I've used a couple of times (once for my ES350) said that "with the right tools and technique" it's not necessary to remove door panels for the majority of cars. At the time he mentioned 1 or 2 BMW models that needed the panels removed.
Old 05-01-17, 04:41 AM
2Insane
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

My RCF has tints that I am not pleased with. I am looking at getting them darker. Any idea if it's a difficult job to remove and do you know the cost to remove?
Old 05-03-17, 07:26 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Insane
My RCF has tints that I am not pleased with. I am looking at getting them darker. Any idea if it's a difficult job to remove and do you know the cost to remove?
Any tint shop can remove the tint relatively easily, or you can DIY. If you want a professional to do it, just call a shop and ask what they charge. Some charge hourly and some have a set rate.

If you want to DIY, it is quite simple. I use a steamer, but this article shows you other ways to do it... http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Window-Tint
The following users liked this post:
2Insane (05-03-17)
Old 05-26-17, 12:13 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any photos of a windshield with strip tinted on top on a 3IS?
Old 11-12-17, 05:23 AM
Reston4GS
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write up! I really like the formula one ceramic and Llumar Ceramic Air Blue on the windshield. Can’t even tell it’s there, but the 99% UV and excellent thermal blocking is really noticeable in hotter climates.
Old 12-09-17, 05:49 PM
MythicOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Professional + OCD Installers in SoCal?

Can anyone share their experiences with getting their car tinted? I am looking for a great shop between Ventura, CA and Woodland Hills, CA...
Although, I will drive as far as I need to find great installers; specifically those that know how not to mess up the rear defroster lines or insist on taking the door panels off.
Any help would be appreciate it!!!
Old 07-28-18, 03:41 AM
nvK
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MythicOne
Can anyone share their experiences with getting their car tinted? I am looking for a great shop between Ventura, CA and Woodland Hills, CA...
Although, I will drive as far as I need to find great installers; specifically those that know how not to mess up the rear defroster lines or insist on taking the door panels off.
Any help would be appreciate it!!!
Give Bulletproof Auto Spa a holler; they should be able to accommodate your needs.

https://www.instagram.com/bulletproofautospa/
Old 08-27-18, 10:45 AM
lji
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Posted this on the ES350 forum, but seems this may be a better place for it. For those interested, below is the post:

Been researching tints like crazy and looks like there are some real good heat rejecting tints available as of the last few years. Xpel XR Plus and Photosync are two that stand out for their heat rejection properties. Next up looks to be the 3M Crystalline (has a brownish hue to it), Huper Optik, Llumar's Formula 1, Suntek CIR/CXP, Madico Wincos, etc.

Photosync is a hit among Tesla owners wanting to keep max heat out for maximum range. This looks to be a truly impressive film with TSER's reaching 79% and IR rejection reaching up to 95%. Overall looks to be a film on the lighter side in terms of shade, so those who want to keep max heat out and maintain a cleaner look, this is an excellent option. Downside is that it's pricey.
Old 12-08-19, 07:28 PM
psychowu
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have gotten 4 cars tinted at G5 in Pasadena, CA. Awesome place... they used to carry Huper but not sure if they do anymore. There service is awesome, never had any issues with bubbling, etc. You get what you pay for though... approx $650 for all windows tinted, including front.

If you just need cheap... California Tint in Rosemead, CA is the place to go to

Favorite tint is all the cars has been Huper... I've had old stuff, new stuff, put on various cars but at the end of the day, Huper has been the best.
Old 12-16-19, 07:54 AM
edubs77
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info. Thank you