Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

The ULTIMATE Tinting Guide

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 02:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The web sites of most of the major brands of window film (3M, Llumar etc.) show the performance characteristics of each of their films. This information comes in handy when shopping for window film/tint.
Old 09-19-13, 04:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very well written bud. Thanks. I have been thinking of getting the windows retinted in our 2013 Sienna limited. It has a tint from the dealership but its not blocking enough of the heat and with the huge windows you get in a van it can heat up a lot in the AZ summer heat
Old 10-16-13, 03:37 PM
endo022
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigAnthony
I am considering tinting my new GS F-Sport with 3M Crystaline on all 4 plus the rear and have gotten quotes between $500 and $600. The crystalene is 2 to 3 times the cost of other tint. Anyone have any experience with this product and these prices?

I just paid about $550 for a 3M Crystalline install here in Seattle. All 4 plus the rear.
Old 12-03-13, 01:42 AM
youngbuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tint law in Minnesota - what am I missing?

MN law says that the tinting provision does not apply to:
"(iv) the side and rear windows of a limousine as defined in section 168.002, subdivision 15"

A limousine is pretty clearly defined in that subdivision:
"Limousine" means a luxury passenger automobile that is not a van or station wagon and has a seating capacity of not more than 12 persons, excluding the driver

It is also defined identically in the administrative rules (8880) except for the addition of "unmarked" prior to "luxury".

Limousines are also referred to in 221.84; however, that refers specifically to "limousine service" and not "limousines." Further, the tint statute clearly indicates the definition is to be taken from 168.002 and not 221.84. The definition appears to clearly refer to a type of vehicle as opposed to a purpose of a vehicle. This is also indicated by the permit requirement exclusion for "limousines operated by persons meeting the definition of private carrier" which is basically someone not engaged in the business of transporting people.

My Lexus GS 350 is not a van or station wagon and has a seating capacity of not more than 12 persons. Therefore, it would appear that the only reason it would not be excluded from the tint law is that it is not a "luxury passenger automobile."

The administrative rules define a "luxury passenger automobile" as:
"Luxury passenger automobile" means a passenger automobile that does not have a meter and:
A. has a chassis and wheelbase that have been stretched beyond the length of the manufacturer's original specifications for the vehicle;
B. is a sedan that the manufacturer characterizes as a luxury automobile in sales or promotional material regularly distributed to the public; or
C. is a sedan with an original manufacturer's suggested retail price or present fair market value of more than $25,000.
Luxury passenger automobile does not include a bus, pickup truck, station wagon, taxicab, truck, or van.

The Lexus falls under both B and C.

Doesn't this seem like you can legally tint windows of pretty much any Lexus in MN?
Old 12-03-13, 08:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If you stop by a good tint shop, they can explain the tint laws in MN, and how they apply to you particular car.
Old 12-03-13, 08:49 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone have any tips for getting glued on purple tint off an old window?
i tried a few household compounds but nothing worked
even my heatgun didnt take any big chunks that i was hoping for
obviously i can slave away at it but its very slow and tedious
Old 05-14-14, 06:43 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by OKSTANCE
anyone have any tips for getting glued on purple tint off an old window?
i tried a few household compounds but nothing worked
even my heatgun didnt take any big chunks that i was hoping for
obviously i can slave away at it but its very slow and tedious
If you have a steam gun that may help.
Old 06-05-14, 11:40 AM
domonas
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have a good tint shop recommendation near Columbia, Maryland? I just had mine tinted and the more I look at it, the more I realize they did a crappy job. Put a gash in a plastic moulding, the edges are crap, etc.. etc..
Old 11-24-14, 04:49 PM
doc307
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 18% ceramic put on the back doors and rear window with 35% ceramic on the front doors.
I almost put 70% on the front windshield for heat reduction but decided against it.
Not a great picture though.
Attached Thumbnails The ULTIMATE Tinting Guide-rx350.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jamesss711 (07-21-21)
Old 01-12-15, 05:14 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by doc307
I had 18% ceramic put on the back doors and rear window with 35% ceramic on the front doors.
I almost put 70% on the front windshield for heat reduction but decided against it.
Not a great picture though.
That looks pretty good to me.
Old 06-20-15, 08:25 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts
Default Sun roof tinting danger?

I visited the website for a 3m certified installer in Orlando FL. They will not do sun roof tint. The reason they state is that tint on this glass can cause heat buildup and break the glass. They said that it's a different type of glass than windows. Any pros out there care to comment? I'd guess that this is more of an issue in the south during summer months.
Old 06-29-15, 01:54 PM
yjy4321
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know a good place with lifetime warranty near San Diego or Escondido?
Old 01-11-16, 06:22 AM
tava
Driver School Candidate

Default Response

Thanks for information!!
Old 06-13-16, 02:30 PM
carsonlexi
Driver School Candidate

What do you suggest?
Old 01-22-17, 06:40 PM
Handi
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
If you have a steam gun that may help.
I know this is an old post but for those they may need the help in the future.
I use to remove tint first by using ammonia on the tint, Spray ammonia on the tint and let it soak for 10+ minutes, if the tint allows the ammonia to pass thru the adhesive should release the tint. If not you can allow it to soak longer, maybe apply a little more ammonia. What runs off the tint does you no good. You can use a heat gun to help the glue release, be very slow and keep the tint in one piece.
You will have to go behind and remove the glue after you remove the tint.
It is a painful process but the glue maker never expected you to remove the tint.
You should use a razor to clean the glass also. If you haven't tinted windows you should not do this. It is much like tinting in reverse, also the ammonia can be dangerous in a confined area so be sure the area is well vented and have someone near by or checking on you regularly.
For those try to tackle a project as such, Good Luck and plan most of to all day to so.

Quick Reply: The ULTIMATE Tinting Guide