Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

The ULTIMATE Tinting Guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 10:50 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this may be a noob question.. but is it necessary to remove panels to have tints installed? I want to get them but I can't get them at the dealer b/c they can only do legal limit tints which look practically non-existent but if I do get them at another place I don't want them messing up any of my panels, putting them back improperly or just plain damaging them...
Old 08-01-08, 06:53 AM
LTDTeam
Driver School Candidate

Tint Laws for all states: http://www.tintlaws.com

This site is very informative. It's unfortunate I live in IL in this case, i've had SEVERAL friends get pulled for front tint and had to have a smooth tint job removed.

Thanks for the insight about tint, this is great info!
Old 08-17-08, 03:29 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone know if there is a film that looks like the OEM greenish tint on the S550 mercedes? i think that looks sick and would compliment the green factory tint on my gs3, i just don't know what it's called and if its readily available.

I have a reputable tint shop near me that will do it for 125, im just trying to decide what to do.

I either want the 20% charcoal, or the S550 style tint.

Also, anyone know if sprayway glass cleaner is okay for tint? i don't see why it wouldn't be as its alcohol based...
Old 06-07-09, 01:39 PM
glugar
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone recommend a good tint shop in Los Angeles that uses HuperOptik. Some have recommended Song's Tint Master.
Old 10-15-09, 08:00 AM
kmcwane
Driver School Candidate

Default rear window tinting

Ok so I have a 1991 LS 400. I love the car. However, the back tint is bubbling and peeling and I can't see out the back window. It's driving me crazy! I want to remove it myself just to save me the money of taking it in and having someone else do it. I am worried about possible damaging the rear defrost though. Any suggestions on removing this tint safely with out damaging any of the defrosters?
Old 03-29-10, 07:07 PM
mikeli689
Driver

Originally Posted by kmcwane
Ok so I have a 1991 LS 400. I love the car. However, the back tint is bubbling and peeling and I can't see out the back window. It's driving me crazy! I want to remove it myself just to save me the money of taking it in and having someone else do it. I am worried about possible damaging the rear defrost though. Any suggestions on removing this tint safely with out damaging any of the defrosters?
http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_removal.html
Old 04-04-10, 07:25 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the first time in my life I am considering having my car windows tinted. I know nothing about window tint. I have never owned a vehicle with anything but factory tint.
I have a 2006 LS430 Ultra, black interior and exterior. It would be nice to get a little bit of a break from the heat during the summer months when the car is outside from time to time. I want as little tint as possible because I don't really care for the tint look. My question is, what is the least percentage of tint I can get, and will that amount of tint be helpful for reducing the heat at all?
Old 05-27-10, 08:26 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
For the first time in my life I am considering having my car windows tinted. I know nothing about window tint. I have never owned a vehicle with anything but factory tint.
I have a 2006 LS430 Ultra, black interior and exterior. It would be nice to get a little bit of a break from the heat during the summer months when the car is outside from time to time. I want as little tint as possible because I don't really care for the tint look. My question is, what is the least percentage of tint I can get, and will that amount of tint be helpful for reducing the heat at all?
look at huper optik. 40% should be right what you are after. not too dark, but rejection is up their with lesser darker tint
Old 06-18-10, 11:37 AM
tintsunlim
Driver School Candidate

Illinois house bill 3325(actual house bill) has been heavily followed by Illinois car enthusiasts. While the new bill proposes some of the most stringent of regulations for window tinting it is a step in the right direction.

If you have tint darker than 30% on the rear, you will NOT be able to tint your front windows
If you have 35% on the rear section, you can also have 35% on the front doors, or if you go a touch darker in rear…30%, you are allowed 50% on the fronts
Suvs/Wagons/Vans with factory Privacy Tinting on the rear windows, only get to have 50% on the front windows

Last edited by tintsunlim; 06-29-10 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-03-10, 01:19 PM
redwhisky
Driver

Default 85%

I am not a fan of tint. Through the years I have heard of 60 percent being the lightest the popular shop in my area offers.

The past couple weeks the summer heat has been killing me. So I did some research and I am not sure of what I am reading.

Can someone tell me what percentage the tint in this section reads:

http://www.latint.com/uv_shield_film.php

I think If i get tint...i would opt for the UV shield 75.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-09-10, 08:48 PM
Tremonti
Rookie

okay question. right now i have the legal limit for the state of GA. I really want to go to a 15-20% tint. Correct me if i'm wrong but I hear that tint tickets are always a simple fix-it-ticket that you can either have a friendly cop sign off on or have your tint removed and show proof of it. The question is, after u got a fix-it-ticket could you put another illegal tint on and just expect another fix-it-ticket if you were to get caught a second time?
Old 07-10-10, 04:27 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I think i'm going to get 5% all around. This shop does tint for police cars
Old 07-16-10, 07:10 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
I think i'm going to get 5% all around. This shop does tint for police cars
Police cars have a whole different set of rules than us. They are just a vendor for your local police, I would not use that rational to get yourself in trouble by putting 5% tint on your car.
Old 07-20-10, 08:26 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Police cars have a whole different set of rules than us. They are just a vendor for your local police, I would not use that rational to get yourself in trouble by putting 5% tint on your car.
Lol. I know that but it's pretty lax down here with tint laws
Old 08-17-10, 08:10 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I'm thinking about getting my SC re-tinted in 5%. I had 15% but it doesn't keep the heat out of the car like the 5% tint I just got on my Saturn does. I got a 5% visor strip on my SC last week and I never new how big of a difference there is in how dark 5% is compared to 15%.

Quick Reply: The ULTIMATE Tinting Guide