Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

which wax or polish gives most shine?

Old 09-05-13, 10:05 PM
andy350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default which wax or polish gives most shine?

which wax or polish gives most shine?
Old 09-05-13, 10:14 PM
TOMMYPHAM
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/

check the link , it will help
Old 09-05-13, 10:44 PM
smnlive
Driver School Candidate

Very subjective. I normally use wolfgang and pinnacle. Great shine. Then I switched to zymol concours and was told that it's somewhat shinier than the two i mentioned. Still, i don't see a difference.
Old 09-05-13, 11:44 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find what you like and used it. Shine comes from having a level clear coat that is swirl free. A good polish would do that. Join a detailing forum such as autogeekonline.net to get help with whatever you need. As for polishes I like Menzerna products. But any polish would do the job. If your paint is really bad then it would be a good idea to used a compound. Wash, clay, compound (if needed), polish, & protect (wax, sealant, or a paint coating). I've invested in a dual action polisher with various pads as I detail as a side gig. It can added up quickly. You can also find a good detailer in your area if you dont want to jump into buying all the products to get it done yourself.
Old 09-06-13, 06:52 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 509IS350
Find what you like and used it. Shine comes from having a level clear coat that is swirl free. A good polish would do that. Join a detailing forum such as autogeekonline.net to get help with whatever you need. As for polishes I like Menzerna products. But any polish would do the job. If your paint is really bad then it would be a good idea to used a compound. Wash, clay, compound (if needed), polish, & protect (wax, sealant, or a paint coating). I've invested in a dual action polisher with various pads as I detail as a side gig. It can added up quickly. You can also find a good detailer in your area if you dont want to jump into buying all the products to get it done yourself.
^This!

First, let's discuss what creates a shiny surface since most people don't fully understand. Dull, worn looking surfaces are caused by defects in the paint. Most commonly swirls, scratches, and etched water spots are what create this sub-par appearance. The vast majority of these defects are created from improper washing and drying, so before you decide you want to fix these defects, you must also decide you want to learn how to properly maintain your finish.

As 509IS350 already mentioned, shine comes from having a level clear coat (or top coat). Defects create microscopic voids in the clear coat that refract light in all different directions, creating a duller appearance. See the image below for more clarification as to what I am trying to describe.

Machine polishing using various pads, cutting compounds, and/or fine polishes that work by removing a fine layer of your clear coat in order to get rid of the defects and leave flat surface.

In the photo below, you can see the right side of the vehicle is full of defects. These are actually sanding marks that were left over by the body shop after doing a dent repair and repainting. This is very common, believe it or not, as many body shops do not inspect their work after "buffing" fresh paint. The left side was compounded and then refined with finish polish to a perfect looking finish.

After polishing, the car was washed again, then coated with a layer of sealant for protection. The polishing is truly what makes the car shiny and the sealant and/or wax simply protect the surface and offer minor gains in terms of appearance when compared to what you can achieve with polishing.

^Bet most red cars you see don't look like this one does

Anyways, proper detailing is something that can be learned and done by every single car owner. Dual Action polishers are extremely safe and effective - even in the hands of a total beginner.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or check out the CL Detailing Forum for some more great threads!

-Zach
Old 09-06-13, 07:09 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMMYPHAM

You've really gotta start using the search function instead of creating threads for every single queston that you have
Old 09-06-13, 08:01 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMMYPHAM
Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD

You've really gotta start using the search function instead of creating threads for every single queston that you have
Old 09-06-13, 09:33 AM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lmao that Gif, stop killing me man
Old 09-06-13, 11:08 AM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had great success with Zaino on my wife's Smokey Granite IS. I really thought the shine was much better than anything else I have tried. Going to use it on mu Supra this weekend. I will advise the results.
Old 09-06-13, 12:18 PM
andy350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bob....hahahaaaaaa...lol
Old 09-06-13, 12:27 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400MAN
I have had great success with Zaino on my wife's Smokey Granite IS. I really thought the shine was much better than anything else I have tried. Going to use it on mu Supra this weekend. I will advise the results.

...while Zaino refers to many of their products as a "polish" they are truly more like a glaze or a sealant. As far as I know, none of the Zaino 'polishes' contain abrasives to remove the defects, they just hide them by attempting to fill in the minor swirls and scratches which creates only a temporary solution. Proper polishing will remove the defects permanently.

I would highly suggest doing it "the right way" instead of resorting to the Zaino line up of polishes.

This will yield a longer lasting, perfect looking finish. The shine comes 90% from the prep work (ie cleaning, decontamination and polishing) and is only enhanced by the final product (ie sealant, wax or coating).

^My car hasn't been polished or waxed in about a year... It was polished to near perfection when I got it and was then coated with 22ple VX1 Pro Coating to preserve the finish.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 09-06-13 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-06-13, 12:29 PM
13IS250C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for Zaino

I just sold a Camaro I had had for 17 years. Only Zaino products were used for about the last 14 years I had it. I would have the car in shows and people would come ask me who painted my car. My favorite reply was "a robot at General Motors".

So far I have 3 coats on the IS. It really makes the pearl POP in the paint. Love the detailer too.
Old 09-06-13, 02:54 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

go to a detail shop, and buy some wax and polish, best investment ive made.
Old 09-06-13, 03:12 PM
genaos11
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you dnt knw what your doing just pay someone that knows what he doing so u dnt mess up your own car
Old 09-06-13, 05:00 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andy350
Bob....hahahaaaaaa...lol
Did I say something funny?

Maybe I should create a new thread and ask everyone on CL what was so funny

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which wax or polish gives most shine?