Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > Automotive Care & Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

headlight restoration with 1500, 2000, PLastX

Old 01-20-15, 06:47 PM   #256
Phantom704
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Has anyone here used Wipe New? If so, I would like to know your thoughts.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Phantom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 12:07 PM   #257
GoFast908Z
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom704 View Post
Its absolute garbage. Gimmick product. Have had to fix numerous sets of headlights of people who fell into this trap and it costs more because its a pain to remove after it fails.
GoFast908Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 01:38 PM   #258
Debonair
iModerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom704 View Post
I bought some to try on some pickup truck aftermarket (eBay) headlights. It worked. The headlights were clear and looked much better. Not a replacement for a good mechanical polish with quality products but better then it was before. The truck was on its way from Cali to North Dakota where it spent three weeks in snow. It came back with the headlights in the same condition as before I applied it, maybe a little better. I am going to give them another coat and see how long it lasts here in good Cali weather.

For $15.00 at Target I figured I would give it a go.

EDIT: I just read that it hardens after it dries and takes 24 hours to cure before it can be exposed to moisture. My test run on the truck lights did not get this much time. Ill give it another go when time permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
Its absolute garbage. Gimmick product. Have had to fix numerous sets of headlights of people who fell into this trap and it costs more because its a pain to remove after it fails.
What exactly are you having to remove that justified charging people more to polish their headlights (I assume that's what you are doing)? It goes on thin like an oily protectant, similar to Armor All. Its not a thick coating that would have to be sanded. Not in my experience at least.

EDIT: Perhaps my failure to let it cure did not allow whatever you have to work hard removing to cure and harden?

Last edited by Debonair; 02-25-15 at 01:45 PM..
Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 01:53 PM   #259
GoFast908Z
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
I bought some to try on some pickup truck aftermarket (eBay) headlights. It worked. The headlights were clear and looked much better. Not a replacement for a good mechanical polish with quality products but better then it was before. The truck was on its way from Cali to North Dakota where it spent three weeks in snow. It came back with the headlights in the same condition as before I applied it, maybe a little better. I am going to give them another coat and see how long it lasts here in good Cali weather.

For $15.00 at Target I figured I would give it a go.

EDIT: I just read that it hardens after it dries and takes 24 hours to cure before it can be exposed to moisture. My test run on the truck lights did not get this much time. Ill give it another go when time permits.

What exactly are you having to remove that justified charging people more to polish their headlights (I assume that's what you are doing)? It goes on thin like an oily protectant, similar to Armor All. Its not a thick coating that would have to be sanded. Not in my experience at least.

EDIT: Perhaps my failure to let it cure did not allow whatever you have to work hard removing to cure and harden?
The best results are obtained by sanding off old dead UV coating then polishing and applying protectant. 90%+ of people do not do this. Many have clouded up worse than how they looked before within 3 months and the 'Wipe new' is a PITA to remove and redo the lights properly.
Old 02-25-15, 10:54 PM   #260
Debonair
iModerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
The best results are obtained by sanding off old dead UV coating then polishing and applying protectant. 90%+ of people do not do this. Many have clouded up worse than how they looked before within 3 months and the 'Wipe new' is a PITA to remove and redo the lights properly.
I agree with you on the best method. I was just curious as to how applying a "gimmick" product like Wipe New increases the cost of headlight restoration per your previous statement. How is it "a pain"? Does it require more sanding or a special chemical? Just curious.
Old 02-25-15, 11:42 PM   #261
GoFast908Z
Driver School Candidate

Yes it takes longer to compound or sand it off to repair the base material.
Old 02-25-15, 11:42 PM