Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

headlight restoration with 1500, 2000, PLastX

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-13, 07:54 PM
RickL87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing in detailing should ever start with sanding anything. start with polishing and work your way to more aggressive means just my 2 cents.
Old 02-17-13, 07:41 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Optimum is soon releasing a new product specifically designed as a headlight coating. Not too much out as far as the details go, but from my understanding it will be like Opti Coat 2.0 but with alot more UV protection aimed at sealing headlight and protecting them for a very long time.
Anybody got word on when this product might come out?

I want to do my LS headlights but looking for a product like this to seal them to hopefully keep from having to redo them every 6 months.
Old 05-19-13, 08:52 PM
Badmittn
Driver School Candidate

If you have new or undamaged headlights and apply VaporWax apc (acrylic paint conditioner) to your headlights at least once a month and they will never yellow. If they are already yellow from surface oxidation deoxidize them first.
If they have been sanded previously, you got a situation that can only get worse, once you alter the surface from it's factory specs you should start saving for a replacement pair, down the line you will need to replace them eventually no matter what you do to seal them. There is no known process that repairs UV damage (yellowing of the actual lens).
Old damaged headlights can benefit from polishing but sanding an acrylic headlight is the beginnning of the end for it. There is no aftermarket product that is as tough or resistant to break down as the original factory surface. Sanding that surface away is a big mistake.
Old 06-29-13, 02:10 PM
M45owner
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Great results...I have been meaning to take care of the headlights on my RX. They're starting to be really hazy and a tad yellow. You can also use some wax on top after to protect the lenses and slow down the yellowing (caused by UV)
Old 07-16-13, 10:01 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for this post. I read this a while back and I finally got it done.

Before and After Pics:
Attached Thumbnails headlight restoration with 1500, 2000, PLastX-lights1.jpg   headlight restoration with 1500, 2000, PLastX-lights2.jpg   headlight restoration with 1500, 2000, PLastX-lights5.jpg   headlight restoration with 1500, 2000, PLastX-lights6.jpg   headlight restoration with 1500, 2000, PLastX-lights7.jpg  

Old 09-05-13, 12:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Badmittn
If you have new or undamaged headlights and apply VaporWax apc (acrylic paint conditioner) to your headlights at least once a month and they will never yellow. If they are already yellow from surface oxidation deoxidize them first.
If they have been sanded previously, you got a situation that can only get worse, once you alter the surface from it's factory specs you should start saving for a replacement pair, down the line you will need to replace them eventually no matter what you do to seal them. There is no known process that repairs UV damage (yellowing of the actual lens).
Old damaged headlights can benefit from polishing but sanding an acrylic headlight is the beginnning of the end for it. There is no aftermarket product that is as tough or resistant to break down as the original factory surface. Sanding that surface away is a big mistake.
Totally disagree, after a few years when most plastic/polycarbonate headlights are exposed to too much sunlight the surface protection breaks down too much and simply can not be repaired without wet sanding. Polishing simply won't work in most cases, I tried it with my headlights and others using a compound and a yellow pad and it still barely makes any difference. Once your headlights reach that stage of yellowing/hazing so bad the only solution is to wet sand them and polish/apply wax every few months, wet sanding can make them look brand new again and it makes a huge improvement but it won't last long so there is a need for increased polishing and waxing. Either way wet sanding makes a huge positive difference once your headlights have yellowed and can not be repaired any other way.

Also that Vapormax you are recommending/trying to sell is very suspect and has got terrible reviews along with accusations of spam/phishing.
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...x-warning.html
Old 09-08-13, 10:37 PM
Obleezie
Driver School Candidate

Going to try this soon, headlights are hazing up a bit now
Old 09-23-13, 10:04 PM
7tisix
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3M's Resto Kit Works Great

My brother-in-law's Chevy Silverado had the worst lights I had ever seen. Sanded with180 then 320 grit, then used a drill with the 3M headlight resto attachment that has Velcro for the sanding (500, 800, & 3000 grit) and polishing. They look brand new now. I didn't use the 3M rubbing compound, I used McGuiars instead. I have since tried the 3M rubbing compound and it is really good stuff.

Last edited by 7tisix; 05-12-14 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Clarifications
Old 09-24-13, 11:14 PM
dragtek1
Rookie

Thanks for the write up! At first I thought my IS350 was getting oxidation from the inside the headlight, but my headlights looks very similar to yours; I am excited to give it a try!

I did pick up some Blue Magic headlight sealant from O'reilly, let's see how it holds up.
Old 12-27-13, 04:09 AM
Badmittn
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=UDel;8125640]Totally disagree, after a few years when most plastic/polycarbonate headlights are exposed to too much sunlight the surface protection breaks down too much and simply can not be repaired without wet sanding. [/QUOTEp]

I have never heard of a plastic that breaks down in a few years.
From my understanding plastic is one of the top pollutants, due mainly to It's resistance to decomposition.
Oxidation is not a result of plastic breaking down.
Plastic break down is due to friction and abrasive contact.
Oxidation is a build up on the Surface of the plastic.
Where do you get your information from?

Last edited by Badmittn; 12-27-13 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-27-13, 02:18 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Badmittn;8297835]
Originally Posted by UDel
Totally disagree, after a few years when most plastic/polycarbonate headlights are exposed to too much sunlight the surface protection breaks down too much and simply can not be repaired without wet sanding. [/QUOTEp]

I have never heard of a plastic that breaks down in a few years.
From my understanding plastic is one of the top pollutants, due mainly to It's resistance to decomposition.
Oxidation is not a result of plastic breaking down.
Plastic break down is due to friction and abrasive contact.
Oxidation is a build up on the Surface of the plastic.
Where do you get your information from?
From what I have seen and have dealt with in my past and working with plastics, composites, and paint and coatings in the jobs I have had in the past have come to learn that everything has it's krytonite substances. You would be amazed at what the UV rays of sunlight can do to stuff, especially plastic. Just because it clogs up landfills and takes hundreds of years to break down in the dumps, but place the same plastic part in continuous direct sunlight and watch it go bad. The UV rays destroy the plastic, sometimes quickly and sometimes it will take a while. That is why they put the protective coating on the headlights to prevent scratches and UV damage but it will eventually wear off. If you examine the plastic headlight you can see where the protective coating is and where the worn out faded sections are especially if you are sanding it with very fine sand paper.
Old 05-02-14, 03:03 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks for the writeup!!!
Old 06-09-14, 01:09 PM
Cyanide52
Rookie

I did this process and haven't been able to get out the fine scratches from the sand paper I've tried using my DA also , no luck
Old 06-09-14, 02:02 PM
2therock
Driver School Candidate

I posted my results here in another thread. Before and after results. The 3M kit. Tip = Don't use your drill motor on high speed to avoid heat.

HERE
Old 06-14-14, 11:57 AM
Doublelift
Driver School Candidate

Is the dealer light cleaning any good? They offered to clean mine up and put some coating over it so it'd look like new and stay that way for awhile

Quick Reply: headlight restoration with 1500, 2000, PLastX