Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to clean headlight lens??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-01, 09:33 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to clean headlight lens??

just got my car back from Hennessey Lexus yesterday. was getting moisture in the drivers side headlamp, so they replaced the whole thing...........which i appreciate. problem is that now the passenger side looks horrible in comparison. my car is over 3 yrs old and the driving has weathered the plastic lens. anybody have any suggestions as to how to clean it so it is as clear as the replaced one? BTW.........they were out of loaners when i took my car in so they called enterprise and they brought one. cavalier.....roll-up windows....no floor mats.....am/fm/no cassette!!!
i was pissed but didnt want to ***** and moan like some snob, but my service guy omar promised it would never happen again.
Old 12-06-01, 10:26 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the best thing for you to do is just buy a new headlamp. Otherwise I use Glass stripper on my benz's headlights, it removes some of the scratches off the plastic lenses but it wont look nearly as good as the new one.
Old 12-06-01, 10:56 AM
JZS147
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can use aluminum polish on your headlight, I used it on my 7 years old headlights and it made the biggest difference.
Old 12-06-01, 11:26 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I recall there being a post a really long time ago on a place that you could send your headlamps and have them cleaned and refurbished so to speak. I don't remember the site or the price but maybe one of the older CL members can help out. It may have even been on the old forum.
Old 12-06-01, 01:11 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question How Bad?

U can try to polish the lens with Griot's Fine Glass Polish. It helped my HID's aout considerably. http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1001&SKU=11017
Old 12-06-01, 04:53 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Hi guys
just did mine on the weekend,i used "Blue Magic" liquid metal polish and "Blue Magic" Plastic and Plexi-glass cleaner.I an VERY satisfied with the results.they look brand spanking new.A little elbow grease will be required but you will not be disappointed.cost $5.00 each.money well spent. PS use the cleaner first.
clive.
Old 12-06-01, 07:36 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

metal polish doesn't scratch them????
Old 12-06-01, 08:28 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by clivej
Hi guys
just did mine on the weekend,i used "Blue Magic" liquid metal polish and "Blue Magic" Plastic and Plexi-glass cleaner.I an VERY satisfied with the results.they look brand spanking new.A little elbow grease will be required but you will not be disappointed.cost $5.00 each.money well spent. PS use the cleaner first.
clive.
my bro just got a bottle of BLUEMAGIC plastic and plexiglass cleaner and he said it doesn't work well. I'll try them out 2morrow and post results.
Old 12-07-01, 04:32 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

I had the same problem as you did, one of my headlamps were fogging up, and the other one was not. They replaced one of them under warranty, but I went back about 3 weeks later and told them that the other lamp was fogging up as well. I did that because of the same dilema you are going through right now---one headlight was a lot cleaner and brighter than the other one. My local dealer replaced the other one as well. So try it out and tell them the other one is fogging up as well. Honestly, what are they going to do---keep your car until it rains to see if it really does??? They'll just get it replaced and you will be on your way.

Try it out---can't hurt to try
Old 12-07-01, 04:42 PM
Juan C. Cos

Default GLASS POLISH ON PLASTIC ?????

Hey guys, I always use "plastic polish" from Griot's Garage on tail-lights and headlights on my vehicles, and they still look like new. And summers here are brutal.

Hey MeanGene, glass polish on plastic? Are you crazy? That darn thing even scratched my windshield beyond repair (thankfully on the tinted area), but works great on our glass shower-doors. I thought it was intended for windshields, but I guess shatterproof-glass must be softer or something.
Old 12-07-01, 09:51 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I have used Meguiars plastic/plexiglass polish/cleaner. I think it is no. 15 off the top of my head. It works wonders. You have to be patient, it won't do it all in one step. I also have a dual action orbital polisher/buffer. (cyclopolisher) It is the best damned polisher I have bought in the past 10 years. Well hope this helps
Old 12-07-01, 10:41 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Ricky,

mind telling me the price and place wherr you picked up your polisher?

how is the unit compare to porter cable-one of cl guys fav?

thanks
Old 12-08-01, 06:20 AM
GScorpion
Driver

Originally posted by futuregs
i think the best thing for you to do is just buy a new headlamp. Otherwise I use Glass stripper on my benz's headlights, it removes some of the scratches off the plastic lenses but it wont look nearly as good as the new one.

....sounds like a great idea if you just happen to have an extra $1,100 laying around and that's just one side....oh don't forget labor at $60 a hour:eek:

Lexus just replaced my lights $2,400 under warranty moisture build up was the cause.
Old 12-08-01, 06:48 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up The Fine Stuff

Juan - I used the FINE Glass Polish on my HID's & didn't scratch anything ( yet! ). Griot's regular glass polish is twice as abrasive as the fine stuff ( I'm told ) but they also make a plastic polish for folks with convertibles if ya want to try that. BTW - the Fine Polish works great on removing water spots from the sunroof glass!
Old 12-08-01, 12:44 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

GS4Will: Tried to PM you but your box is full. Go and check out www.topoftheline.com The prices there are almost unbeatable. Talk with Irene she is very helpful and knowledgeable. Look under Cyclopolisher

aloha
ricky

Quick Reply: How to clean headlight lens??