Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wax won't come off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-07, 06:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Wax won't come off.

So I washed my GS and LS today, and decided to wax them. I've never waxed a car before, so this was my first time. I went to Autozone and picked up a bottle of Eagle one wax, with applicator and microfiber towel. I applied the wax to my LS, which is very dark green, almost black in color, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes and tried removing it with the microfiber towel, but it wouldn't come off completely, it was leaving residue on the paint that made the paint look dull, with spots all over it. No matter how hard i rubbed the towel, it just woldnt come off. A neighboor suggested I let it dry, so I let it sit there for a couple hours, and still the same thing was happening. So I said screw it, and just washed all the wax off with car wash. What the hell did I do wrong?
Old 04-22-07, 08:08 PM
SUPRA7TT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the sun beaming on it.That causes it to dry hard and fast.
Old 04-22-07, 08:45 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Besure to apply the wax to a cool surface in the shade. Apply the wax as thin as you can. If you have issues with removal instead of rubbing harder reapply some fresh wax over the difficult area and be sure to keep it thin. The solvents in the wax will re-liquify the dried wax. Thin coats of wax are better than thick coats.
Old 04-22-07, 09:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

So wait, I shouldnt wait for the wax to dry and instead take it off while its still wet? On the bottle it says "Let it haze"
Old 04-22-07, 09:31 PM
jfelbab

You should wait for it to dry. But if you have some dried was that doesn't come off easily, applying more wax will re-liquify the dried wax and allow you to spread it more thinly. Then after it hazes over you should have little trouble removing it.
Old 04-22-07, 09:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, maybe that is the problem - I applied generous amount of wax. Maybe I should do it more thinly. I have the sponge like applicator that came with the wax, and it says to apply a small amount of wax to it, but it doesn't say how much of the surface the small amount covers, so I applied a lot of wax. I'm going to try it again tomorrow, spreding the wax thin.
Old 04-22-07, 11:53 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

always do small spots at a time
so only use like a few drops to like 1/3 of a teaspoon of wax in one spot, depends on what type of wax too

i consider one spot to be like half to 1/3 of a door panel
some ppl even do less

its better to layer the wax in thin layers than to apply a thick layer
Old 04-23-07, 12:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

wax must be applied very thinly. So thin that it looks like a film of wax, rather than a glob of it.

IF you're having trouble taking off the wax, you've applied too much to begin with.
Old 04-23-07, 02:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys, did it again today and it came out near perfect. The only thing is, I only had one towel, and towards the end it collected too much wax and dust, and did wipe that good anymore. The next time I do it, I will prepare 3-4 clean towels.
Old 04-23-07, 02:33 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Och
Thanks guys, did it again today and it came out near perfect. The only thing is, I only had one towel, and towards the end it collected too much wax and dust, and did wipe that good anymore. The next time I do it, I will prepare 3-4 clean towels.
You might want to keep an eye or for a few high quality microfiber towels. These are the best for removing wax and polish.
Old 04-23-07, 03:35 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And useing a better quality wax will help too.
Meguiars or mothers have very good waxes that are easier to apply.
Old 04-23-07, 07:07 PM
mmmm840
Driver School Candidate

Take a look here: http://www.detailedimage.com/store/

They sell excellent products for car detailing and they are very helpful with suggestions.
Old 04-23-07, 07:16 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The same thing happened to me once. And the sun baking on had something to do w/ it. The longer it sits in the sun, the harder it's hard to get off.
So always wax in a cool place or under shaded areas.

If you're not satisfied w/ the Eagle one wax, just clay it off, find another wax application and try that. Wait 5-7 in a cool area (no sun) and it should come off easily w/ the microfiber towel.

Also another trick when the wax is too thick, I use the Meg. Quick Detailer spray and spray the mist over the thick wax and gently buff off w/ the microfiber towel.

I usually use Zaino or any of the Meg.'s wax products.

good luck...teeman3
Old 04-24-07, 04:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Ok, now there are tiny white donts all over the paint, and they dont come off. What the hell happened, are these pores filled with wax, or did it ruin my paint?
Old 04-24-07, 04:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Those are most likely paint chips that's filled with wax.

Quick Reply: Wax won't come off.