Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

recommended rotary buffers and polishers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 09:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts
Default recommended rotary buffers and polishers.

I am going to be getting a rotary buffer/polisher to try to take care of some scratches/swirl marks/waterspots and wanted to know what everyone has and recommends. Porter Cables seem very popular but are they as good for cars as some of the other brands like the ones from Griot's Garage. Is there a combo buffer, pad, polish that you guys favor.
Old 04-15-07, 07:12 PM
oklndman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Porter 7424, but I have to admit I've never gone near a rotary so I can't say much about them.

I use Meguiars products, although I have tried a few of the Sonus pads and they are nice. For knocking out minor swirls I recommend #80 and 8006 and finish with #26 and 9006. If the 80 won't do it go with #83. I haven't had anything that 83/8006 couldn't handle, but I'm sure others can go into detail if you need to use the major stuff.
Old 04-15-07, 09:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

There are a bunch of names or different kinds of machine buffers/polishers like orbital polishers, orbital buffers, rotary polishers/buffers, etc that it is a little confusing what is really what. I am looking for something that does not require too much experience/skill to use and mainly for getting scratches, swirls, applying and taking off wax and something that is as safe as possible to use on the finish. Not sure which ones are really better and what advantages/disadvantages they have. The Porter 7424 seems very popular and one I will heavily look at. Any other info/experience would be appreciated.
Old 04-15-07, 09:53 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Rotary buffers are not for the inexperienced. You can easily damage your paint if you don't know what you are doing. An orbital, like the Porter-Cable 7424 or 7336, is really the best, safest and most effective, buffer. I've seen this unit at Home Depot for just over $100 from time to time.

I bought my PC about 12 years ago. It cuts my detailing time by a factor of 10.

You will also need a flexible backing plate, a couple polishing pads and a couple finishing pads.

The PC opens up a whole new level of products that you can use to polish your paint.

The cheap buffers like the Waxmaster just don't have the power to polish paint. A rotary is quite a bit heavier and a lot more difficult to use. Most who are new to the rotary damage their paint. If you feel you must have a rotary, go to the junk yard and buy an old hood or trunk lid to practice on.

I really have never felt I needed a rotary as the PC has always done the job and it is completely safe.

As to polishes, I prefer Meguiar's #80 and #83.

Last edited by jfelbab; 04-15-07 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-15-07, 10:04 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I really can't tell the difference in Buffer quality. His is a cheap low quality orbital buffer. I just put a pad on and wax on the pad, and went at the car, and i came up with this:
Old 04-15-07, 10:09 PM
jfelbab

Application of wax is a light duty task for any buffer. When you need to remove swirls and scratches you need more power. Thats where the PC really shines.

Check the shine on this 17 year old daily driver.

Old 04-16-07, 10:55 AM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

hey dont mean to hijack your thread but this one goes out to jim and anyone else who wants to answer....What brand pads do you buy?
Old 04-16-07, 01:06 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Dr.Zeus
hey dont mean to hijack your thread but this one goes out to jim and anyone else who wants to answer....What brand pads do you buy?
I use Meguiar's and Lake Country pads. I mostly use polishing and finishing pads.
Old 04-17-07, 05:59 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting back to recommendations on the rotary;

I like my Makita 9227C, it has a 'granny start' feature to avoid splatter, and is weighted nicely along with being built extremely tough.

The DeWalt equivalent is also excellent.

Both will give a lifetime of service if properly cared for.
Old 04-17-07, 09:06 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Bought a PC7424 and received it a week ago... Just waiting for good weather. Really can't go wrong with this unit.
Old 04-17-07, 10:19 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

There are basically two kinds of buffers for swirl removal. Rotaries, which spin on a fixed axis (and require some experience to use correctly), and the Porter Cable 7424/7336. I say it's the "second kind" since it's the only random orbital really worth buying. The RO's you get for $39.99 are ok for wax application, but not for swirl removal.

I personally think a good place to start detailing is with the PC; it's about the best $110 investment you can make toward your car (imo). Once you master it if you need some upward mobility, try a rotary out.
Old 04-17-07, 10:28 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I use a Hitachi SP18VA myself. I got it onsale for $100 shipped (great deal IMO) and it also has that granny start which I think is an awesome feature. It was awkward at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's great.

I hardly ever use the PC anymore when it comes to polishing. I only use it on small-hard-to-polish panels such as on the bumper where it meets the trunk lid. That angle is pretty hard to get. I also use it to apply liquid wax.

If you have the patience, find yourself a body panel at the junkyard (such as a hood) and practice with the rotary. Once you're able to get the hang of it, you'll probably wont want to go back to the PC. At least that's what I've experienced

But for starters, get the PC7424/7336. It'll save you tons of time. You can't really accomplish much polishing by hand. Good luck!
Old 04-17-07, 12:02 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Where is everyone purchasing their PC from? Any deals on these out there?
Old 04-17-07, 02:09 PM
jfelbab

Well I bought mine 12 years ago from Meguiar's as part of a Conours kit.

I've seen the PC at Lowes on occasion and it was about $110 there. I think they may not be carrying it any longer at least not in my area.

There are a few places on line that handle it including Meguiars.com where their PC comes with a lifetime warranty.

You can buy direct from Porter-Cable and they have a special price right now.

The 7336 is $119.95
http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/p...rs/7336sp.html

The 7424 is $135.95
http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/polishers/7424.html

A reconditioned 7424 is $109.95
http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/polishers/7424r.html

Reconditioned PC warranty is the same as new.
http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/a...ned_tools.html

Last edited by jfelbab; 04-17-07 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-17-07, 03:59 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys for all the recommendations, experiences, and information. I think a PC is what I am looking for. It would definitely like to start off with something safe but something that also has the power and capability to remove or hide swirls/scratches, minor defects. I went to Lowes today when looking for some things for our fish pond and took a quick look but they did not have any Porter Cable 7424/7336. I guess I will need an attachment so it is easier to switch out automotive polishing/buffing pads. Any preference to the 7424/7336?

Quick Reply: recommended rotary buffers and polishers.