Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

leather conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07, 09:05 AM
04lrg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leather conditioner

Will leather harden and crack over time if conditioner is not used on un-used or rarely used leather (like the back seats)?
Old 04-06-07, 09:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 04lrg
Will leather harden and crack over time if conditioner is not used on un-used or rarely used leather (like the back seats)?
I had an Avalon XLS for 4 years which had very nice tan leather, and I never did use any conditioner on the front or rear seats. The rear seat rarely got used and the leather stayed just as nice as the front seats.
Old 04-06-07, 09:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 04lrg
Yes, leather needs to be properly nourished with PH correct oils that are found in quality conditioners because it loses those oils over time and dries out and it needs to be routinely cleaned or it will harden and crack. Areas that are sat in most will be the worst and get the dirtiest. If the car is parked out in the hot sun for any amount of time that is also going to speed things up especially where the areas receive most of the sun like the top of the seats and rear headrest areas. Most modern leather interiors have some kind of protectant coat but that coat usaully allows conditioners/sofeners to penetrate the coat and nourish the leather. Unfortunately some car makers including Lexus and dealerships spray a silicon type coating on the leather interior on some models of cars that they think is really good at protecting stains but it pretty much ruins the leather once applied. It is called silicon poisoning and it clogs the leather pores causing it to age and harden prematurely and will not allow any conditioners/sofeners to penetrate. The conditioners just sit on top of the leather and evaporate and the leather can never be nourished with oils of sofened up once it gets hard. It developes a hard rough waxy feeling over time that can never be corrected.
Old 04-06-07, 12:14 PM
04lrg
Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
Yes, leather needs to be properly nourished with PH correct oils that are found in quality conditioners because it loses those oils over time and dries out and it needs to be routinely cleaned or it will harden and crack. Areas that are sat in most will be the worst and get the dirtiest. If the car is parked out in the hot sun for any amount of time that is also going to speed things up especially where the areas receive most of the sun like the top of the seats and rear headrest areas. Most modern leather interiors have some kind of protectant coat but that coat usaully allows conditioners/sofeners to penetrate the coat and nourish the leather. Unfortunately some car makers including Lexus and dealerships spray a silicon type coating on the leather interior on some models of cars that they think is really good at protecting stains but it pretty much ruins the leather once applied. It is called silicon poisoning and it clogs the leather pores causing it to age and harden prematurely and will not allow any conditioners/sofeners to penetrate. The conditioners just sit on top of the leather and evaporate and the leather can never be nourished with oils of sofened up once it gets hard. It developes a hard rough waxy feeling over time that can never be corrected.
nice, detailed info....thanks!
Old 04-07-07, 01:09 PM
TonyO
Rookie

Originally Posted by UDel

Wow paint a more positive picture next time. I'm going to be depressed the rest of the weekend now knowing this
Old 04-07-07, 01:32 PM
go4dabukz
Driver

I just cleaned my interior using a simple saddle soap with great results. The leather cleaned up great and feels incredibly soft. A can the size of shoe polish will only cost you $4 or $5 dollars.
Old 04-07-07, 02:32 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyO
Wow paint a more positive picture next time. I'm going to be depressed the rest of the weekend now knowing this
I was pretty depressed finding that out too from several leather care/restoration sources and from my own experiences trying to condition and soften my leather.