Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Fast way of cleaning RIM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 03:37 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast way of cleaning RIM?

is there an easier way to clean the rims? Are there products out there like those you spray on tires and then let it clean itself.. or just spray and hose it off without getting down and dirty.

I wonder if there is a quick way to clean them without bringing out the bucket and sponge. This take forever.

My newly washed car has dirty front rims in just a few days.. after 2 weeks. it's very dirty. My car is GFM but still looks pretty clean after all this time.

Last edited by kqt2ktval; 01-12-07 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-12-07, 04:03 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

tell your brother/kid you'll give them 1 dollar for each wheelt hey clean
Old 01-12-07, 04:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i want the X package wheels because they look better, more rare, and way easier to clean than the normal 18" wheels

too bad I cant find any without paying out the wazoo
Old 01-12-07, 04:47 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

try applying wheel wax (link below) and just washing regularly. it does take me awhile to clean my wheels cause i clean the inside barrels and because of the rivets but with the wheel wax most of the dust/dirt comes off with just a swipe.

http://www.properautocare.com/wheelwax.html
Old 01-12-07, 08:33 PM
scawacs
Driver

my solution was getting black wheels
Old 01-12-07, 10:04 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

The 5 Spoke X - Package wheels are SO EASY to clean! I love them, it was definately one of the reasons I got them. I can use a power sprayer to get the brake dust off and it takes like 20 seconds per wheel and I just wipe down real quick whatever is left, its sooooo nice
Old 01-12-07, 10:10 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I picked up a bottle of Michelin Brake Dust Repellent at Autozone couple of weeks back and have been trying that. I've put on an application of it about once a week (after a quick detail session). It seems to work about as well as waxing your rims - it keeps them smooth and makes it harder for brake dust and other stuff to stick to it. Brake dust cleanup seems easier with this product.
Old 01-12-07, 11:22 PM
IS2Fizzle
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pick up a bottle of Simple Green. Spray it on a dry wheel on foam setting. Wait a few seconds then spray the wheel with water. Works better than alot of wheel cleaners at half the price. Non-toxic and doesn't mess up the finish.
Old 01-12-07, 11:54 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS2Fizzle
pick up a bottle of Simple Green. Spray it on a dry wheel on foam setting. Wait a few seconds then spray the wheel with water. Works better than alot of wheel cleaners at half the price. Non-toxic and doesn't mess up the finish.
That's exactly what I do. Spray the wheel well with Simple Green, wait a few minutes, spray some Simple Green on a brush or cotton towel, and wipe away. Works great and has never failed.
Old 01-13-07, 06:16 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make SURE you don't spray Simple Green or any other alkaline cleaners on rims that are HOT. Let the wheels cool down before you spray them, and don't let the cleaner dry on the rim.

Do 1 rim at a time rather than spraying all 4.

If you follows those basic rules you'll be fine.
Old 01-13-07, 08:49 AM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Make SURE you don't spray Simple Green or any other alkaline cleaners on rims that are HOT. Let the wheels cool down before you spray them, and don't let the cleaner dry on the rim.
Why not? I thought it didn't really matter for the rim itself. I know your not supposed to spray water on the rotors when its hot due to the possibility of it warping.
Old 01-13-07, 09:19 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

^ I tend to think that applying Simple Green or other alkaline cleaners would tarnish the clearcoat finish on the rims, making the rims much harder to keep clean the next time around.
Old 01-14-07, 07:06 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I apply a sealant to the rims a couple times a year and brake dust doesn't seem to be s problem any longer. It rinses off quite easily. Just like paint that has been protected, dirt, including brake dust, doesn't stick well due the the slickness of the sealant.
Old 01-14-07, 09:58 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple Green is indeed highly alkaline, and the heat factor can lead to staining/discoloration of the clearcoat. This applies to many strong cleaners.

It also happens when cleaning engine compartments, you have to be cautious with anything harsh because the combination of higher heat and acid/alkaline chemicals will cause permanent stains on the metal ( i.e. chemical etching), especially aluminum, clearcoat helps, but isn't a panacea.

Dilution is another suggestion, and warm but not hot surface temps helps.
Old 01-14-07, 10:36 PM
TripleDES
Pole Position

I use a power washer on the rims. Take almost all of the dirt and grime off.

Quick Reply: Fast way of cleaning RIM?