Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How soon can clear bra be installed on new car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 01:43 AM
tnedator
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How soon can clear bra be installed on new car?

Ok, two questions actually.

First, I have an ES350 that was built sometime in 11/06. Is it ok to get a clear bra installed around the 20th, which would be sometime between 6-10 weeks since it was manufactured?

I know that when I had some body work done on my Subaru, the body shop said not to wax it for 3 months, to let the chemicals (or something like that) work their way out of the paint, and that if you waxed to soon, you would trap them and it would effect the paint. Do I need to worry about this on a new car? Or, should 6-10 weeks from manufacture be enough?

Second, I am considering going with Llumar. The tinting place that I use, installs 3M, clear shield and Llumar, and they say that now they mostly only use Llumar because it is clearer (they showed samples of it, 3m and Clearshield) and that it had a better ability to be stretched during the install without 'hazing', which the other two would do when stretched. Their price was $500 for the whole front (bumper, hood, side fenders).

Is the Llumar a good choice?

Third (bonus question), if the shop doesn't do a good job, what is the likely result? A bra that looks bad or damage to the paint? I was told this stuff can just be peeled right off, but when I was showing my wife a sample that I stuck on my Forester, it seemed like it stuck pretty hard and was difficult to get just a small piece off.
Old 01-17-07, 12:32 AM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

You can install clear bra as soon as you want. The bottom line is to make sure your car is clean before it is installed. If you installer is good like mine, he will clean the area before he installs it.
Old 01-17-07, 09:20 AM
Wish
Pole Position

I just got my car from the shop I went with ventureshield which is best one for time being.

the guy told me to not wash it for 3 days, then 30 days for it to take the final shape. waxing is required. I'm going to wax it with ProTech wonderfull place they do all the nice staff for your car and provide you with special bag of cleaners for your car. anyway, dont wash it for three days after installation, and you will be fine.

btw, they clear the area which clear bra will be applied on.
Old 01-17-07, 11:09 AM
cino135
Driver

AN ABSOLUTE MUST.................wait 60-90 AFTER youve had your car repaired/painted. REASON, the paint solvents are still releasing and if you put a skin/wax over it, it WILL bubble on you!! EXAMPLE...you get sunburned, place ceran wrap over you skin, the moisture has nowhere to release, causing it to bubble, and peel. as far as the shields go, you should be fine from the factory,meaing, the paint should be FULLY cured by the time its sold to you.
( just because the production date says one thing, certainly does not mean that was the day it was painted)
different plastic shields(BRANDS) tend to come in different guages/thickness.
THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY for luxury models and IMO A MUST FOR 3 STAGE PAINT ( pearl colors) as you cannot touch this color up and it costs 2 x more than any metallic paint job.
shop around for the best brands that can show you examples of their worn product. certainly dont want to hinder your cars appearance with a hazed yellow film.
Old 01-21-07, 09:40 PM
Sardian
Driver School Candidate

THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY for luxury models and IMO A MUST FOR 3 STAGE PAINT ( pearl colors)

I heard that....

My ES350 in Starfire Pearl (Pearl White) got 4 or 5 chips on it and the touch up paint from Lexus is too clear to cover the chips easily. I layered multiple coats on the chips and then used a kit from Lanka to smooth the spots down. Then I had a 3M clear bra put on.

I wish I had done it the day I bought the car. The spots aren't noticeable under the bra by anyone except me. But I can pick them out easily.

You should be OK with factory paint getting it done right when you buy the car. I had 3 chips the first week I had the car (darn Lexus hard paint) so I wouldn't wait too long.

I'm totally happy with mine.