Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How often should I wax and polish

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-06, 07:14 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often should I wax and polish

How often should one wax their car?
How often should one polish their car?
Should I polish my car every time I wax it?
Should I wax my car every time I polish it?

I'm asking because I heard that I should not use polish too much because it is bad for the paint.

*Also, should I wax the windows and rearview mirrors? What about parts of the car covered in vinyl?

Last edited by maz; 12-24-06 at 08:32 PM. Reason: additional questions
Old 12-25-06, 03:19 PM
thangalang
Driver School Candidate

I am also looking for answers to those questions. Also, how many coats of WAX is recommended?

Thanks
Old 12-25-06, 08:19 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

I usually put around 2-3 coats of wax whenever I do a complete overhaul. More layers of wax typically means better coverage, not more "shininess" Usually 2 coats of any wax allows you to make sure you covered all areas.

I wax my car with a layer of wax after every wash, pretty simple to do. For carnuba wax, it's about once a month or so, probably less in winter and more in summer. For synthetic sealants, like Meguiar's NXT, it usually lasts 4-5 months, so I apply it for winter usage, with about a layer every wash period in winter.

Most people do a completely polish the first time they use their polishing equipment, which takes care of most swirls and cobwebs. Polishing does remove all traces of wax, so you HAVE to reapply wax/sealants after polishing. I would do an more abrasive polish the first time around, then continue with lighter/medium polishes around 2-3 times a year, depending on when I want to redo my wax and stuff.

And yes, polishing does remove some of the paint, especially abrasive ones, so I usually use lighter polishes 2-3 times a year. Which means every time I clay, I polish after that.

Some people do wax windows, but with things like Klasse All-In-One and such. Some use RainX, but I dislike it. You wouldn't have to wax the rearview mirror, since it won't get wet or anything.