Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

NU Finish

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-06, 01:46 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Default NU Finish

Just did my SC430 with NU Finish sealer. It is toted as a once a year sealer that protects your paint for 12 months. I've used this on a Toyota Landcruiser (every six months) and it worked great. My SC is black. I guess my question is why doesn't everyone use these new age sealants, since they are easy to use and seem to protect your paint better and longer then any wax on the market?
Old 10-12-06, 02:16 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

People don't use it because there are many much better products on the market. NuFinish is not a new product. It's been around since the 80's. It is not the best looking product as it lacks depth and the gloss fades quickly. It is a cleaner/sealant product that has very harsh solvents and abrasives.

Meguiars NXT, Eagle One Nanowax, and Mothers' Reflections are three modern OTC sealants that are much better.

I'd use it on a winter beater but not a nice car.
Old 10-12-06, 02:53 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
People don't use it because there are many much better products on the market. NuFinish is not a new product. It's been around since the 80's. It is not the best looking product as it lacks depth and the gloss fades quickly. It is a cleaner/sealant product that has very harsh solvents and abrasives.

Meguiars NXT, Eagle One Nanowax, and Mothers' Reflections are three modern OTC sealants that are much better.

I'd use it on a winter beater but not a nice car.

"Nu Finish Car Polish has been rated #1 by six leading consumer testing magazines for protection, durability, gloss improvement and best retail value. NuFinish is the once-a-year car polish that independent laboratory tests have proven will bead, shine, and protect for a whole year. Nu-Finish gives an all weather protection, even against road chemicals, tree sap, bird droppings, rust, corrosion and oxidation. Nu Finish is easy to use and polishes quickly with no hard rubbing or buffing. Apply in sun or shade. Nu Finish is also excellent for Fiberglass boats, recreation vehicles, motorbikes, and chrome surfaces. Nu Finish Car Polish Features: - No rubbing-No buffing - Can be applied in direct sunlight - Only product in its category that contains no wax - 16 oz. liquid Manufactured by Reed-Union Corporation"

Top rated by consumer reports for the last 8 years. What is your source for your statement about NU Finish being so bad and the others you mention being so good? I'm just trying to learn, and unsupported statements that go agains't easily found research about the NU Finish product isn't that helpful. What studies can you point me too that will help me "see the light" Thanks for addressing my post I just need more info.
Old 10-12-06, 03:13 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
"Nu Finish Car Polish has been rated #1 by six leading consumer testing magazines for protection, durability, gloss improvement and best retail value. NuFinish is the once-a-year car polish that independent laboratory tests have proven will bead, shine, and protect for a whole year. Nu-Finish gives an all weather protection, even against road chemicals, tree sap, bird droppings, rust, corrosion and oxidation. Nu Finish is easy to use and polishes quickly with no hard rubbing or buffing. Apply in sun or shade. Nu Finish is also excellent for Fiberglass boats, recreation vehicles, motorbikes, and chrome surfaces. Nu Finish Car Polish Features: - No rubbing-No buffing - Can be applied in direct sunlight - Only product in its category that contains no wax - 16 oz. liquid Manufactured by Reed-Union Corporation"

Top rated by consumer reports for the last 8 years. What is your source for your statement about NU Finish being so bad and the others you mention being so good? I'm just trying to learn, and unsupported statements that go agains't easily found research about the NU Finish product isn't that helpful. What studies can you point me too that will help me "see the light" Thanks for addressing my post I just need more info.
My unsupported statements come form 46 years of detailing cars. Thousands of cars. I average 2-3 cars a week. It's what I do as a sideline. But don't just take my opinion. Take a search over at the Autopia.com forum where you can find many opinions of NuFinish. These opinions come from other auto detailers and not the manufacturer's hype.

As to CR, do a search at Autopia and see what the people who know about car care products think about their review. Their product set was extremely limited and their testing methodology is a joke. Again, not just my opinion.

Last edited by jfelbab; 10-12-06 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-12-06, 04:26 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with jfelbab. I participate over at Autopia.com also and while I'm not a pro, I consider myself a detailing hobbyist/enthusiast who enjoys detailing cars (I've got enough cars in my own stable to keep me busy every weekend without having to do other people's cars too! )

There are 2 basic types of detailers in my book -- those who have found a product that works well for them and they stick to it -- and then there are those who like to experiment with products and see what the results are. I fall into the later category and would say that over the last 6 years that I've been doing this, I probably spend well over $1k a year in new products and tools. I dont think I've *ever* finished a bottle of product in my life other than maybe car wash and quick detailers.

While I dont think that NuFinish is a *bad* product, technology has changed in the last 20 years and manufacturers are constantly revising products and coming out with new ones that are leaps and bounds ahead of the previous generation. Most products come and go with the wind, but a few stick around, NuFinish being one of the off-the-shelf ones. Klasse All-In-One is another product that has been around for ages and still works well but at the same time the manufacturer (CarLack) has improved formulas that are easier to use, provide better results and last longer (available here in the US under the Jeff Werkstatt label).

Zaino is an extremely popular synthetic product that most will agree sets the bar for longevity (not everyone likes the look it provides, but that is another discussion). I dont think I've ever heard anyone ever claim that Zaino will last a full year though. For any paint protection product, I would take with a grain of salt any claims of lasting a year or more. IMHO, claims like that are just BS.

While there are some comparison reports out there (Wax Guru Reports (??I think thats the name) being the most well know) most of the tests are subjective in nature. Also, while longevity of protection is a factor, a lot of detailers are more concerned about how a wax/sealant looks rather than how long it lasts.

With all that said however, if NuFinish works for you and you are happy with it, then stick with it. If however you want to experiment and/or interested in finding the "best" protection for your car, I think a little research will reveal that there are a vast number of products available in the market that will do a much better job in both the longevity and appearance departments.