Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Review of JEFFS Werkstatt.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-06, 05:51 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Review of JEFFS Werkstatt.

I originally posted this review at my.is and thought it might be of interest here.

The products: 1) JEFFS Werkstatt Prime:Acrylic, 2) Acrylic Jett Trigger, and 3) Acrylic Glos. For more info visit JEFFS Werkstatt.

Prime:Acrylic is very much like Klasse AIO in that it cleans, polishes, and protects in one step. In fact, both Klasse and Werkstatt are manufactured by the German company Carlack, so for those of you who use the AIO and SG system you should feel right at home. Overall, I think that Prime has a deeper and slightly wetter appearance than AIO. Prime is also available in different flavors depending on your needs. Along with the Prime:Acrylic that I ordered, they also offer the original formula Prime, Prime:Carnauba (which contains Brazilian Carnauba) and Prime:Strong (which has a slightly stronger polishing agent to allow for removal of more imperfections like light marring or swirls).

Acrylic Jett Trigger is a spray sealant. AJT is the 3rd generation of Acrylic Jett, developed mostly for it's ease of use in a spray application (spray on, wipe off) while maintaining its excellent durability. Acrylic Jett is also offered in its non-spray original formula, which is applied just like a traditional sealant (apply, wait for haze then buff off). In the past, I've used the NXT booster spray wax but didn't care for its wipe on, let haze then buff off application (if I'm going to do that much work I may as well apply another coat of regular NXT). IMO, if I'm going to use a spray wax/sealant, application should mimic a quick detailer. In the end, I wanted an easy to use spray wax with good durability. Acrylic Jett is also offered in the carnauba enhanced Carnauba Jett.

Acrylic Glos is the spray detailer. AG is made up of equal parts car wash and spray sealant. Not only will it lubricate the surface so that contaminants can be wiped away easily, it will also leave behind a layer of protection with the same polymers found in Acrylic Jett. A Carnauba Glos is also available.

Packaging: Products come in 500 mL (about 17oz.) bottles. The Prime:Acrylic came in the usual flip top dispenser and the Acrylic Jet Trigger and Acrylic Gloss came in a trigger spray bottle. Everything was nicely packaged and the personalized "Thank You" note was a nice touch.

Application: My paint still felt glass smooth after a wash so I didn't need to clay. I had some light scratches on my finish so I decided to polish first with Meguiar's #80 and a light cutting pad using my PC (speed set to 5). Although Prime is marketed as a polish/wax/sealant product I wanted to address some of the paint imperfections I had with a pure polish and use Prime as more of a base for the AJT. After the #80 I applied Prime with a polishing pad on my PC with the speed set to 4. I found prime to be a bit more "runny" than other polishes/sealants I've used. After the pad was primed with product I only had to use very little to cover each panel. I've read that Prime can be difficult to remove if applied too thick so I concentrated on applying very thin layers (to the point that I didn't notice any product on the surface if looked at straight on). For the sake of experimentation I did apply it thick on purpose to one panel. The bottle says to let it sit for 30 minutes. I decided to first remove the one area that I applied it a bit thick to see just how tough it was to remove. It proved to be very difficult to remove if applied thick. I had to apply quite a bit of elbow grease to remove it. I even had to resort to applying some AJT to some areas. For the rest of the car where I consciously applied it thin as recommended, removal was a breeze. It came off easily and with hardly any effort. Moral of the story: apply sparingly! What I was left with after all the Prime was buffed off was a highly reflective, clear, wet, glossy looking finish.

Next up was the AJT. AJT's application instructions are as follows:
1. APPLY: Spray JETT sparingly onto a clean surface.
2. BUFF: Spread over a small area with a microfiber towel and continue to lightly buff until clear.

Easy enough, sounds like just what I was looking for (BTW, AJT won't stain trim). I started with the hood and gave it two good sprays. As I worked it in with my microfiber I found that it was a bit more "grabby" than I had expected. Once I turned to the dry side of the towel the surface got slicker and easier to buff. The second coat was easier to apply. Once again, use sparingly. One spritz for most panels should be enough (two for larger panels); a little goes a long way. AJT was easy to use and performed as I think a spray sealant should. The AJT increased the glossy appearance and the overall appearance and slickness improved further the next day like most sealants. Tip: avoid using an ultra plush microfiber when applying AJT, I ended up using a PakShak Ultra-Fine Microfiber.

Results: I really like the AJT and the appearance of JEFFS Werkstatt products. The appearance was glossy, highly reflective and wet; it really made my metallic flake pop. It's one of the best looking products that I've tried on my MSM (and believe me I've tried quite a bit) and I highly recommend it. It's a simple system to use and gives great results. The only question mark for me is durability. I've always been a skeptic of spray waxes/sealants and their durability though I've read good things about AJT by other users so I have high expectations. If there's enough interest, I'll try to remember to update this thread with a report on its durability sometime in the future.

Old 09-17-06, 06:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

very nice results. I have a bottle of the trigger right here waiting to be used, but I haven't had the time to prep my car
Old 09-17-06, 07:26 PM
boxlvo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look very nice and soo smooth but i'm going to try Zaino first since i already bought everything.
Old 09-18-06, 08:45 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

Looks great, thank you for the review. Have you compared this to Z-2 Pro in terms of looks/durability?
Old 09-18-06, 09:05 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I have - it looks like a mix of Z2pro and Z5. A little deeper than Z2 but a little more reflective than Z5. Not better than either, just different. The metallic pop is amazing, just like with the Z's. Durability is similar to both Zaino's, the only issue with Werkstatt is to get that durability you pretty much need to use prime and aj/ajt together.

Id say if someone has Zaino, use it. If you have neither I'd probably lean towards Werkstatt *only* because prime is an EXCELLENT chemical cleaner as well as a sealant base. It's pretty much my fav product of '06.
Old 09-18-06, 06:32 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yESman
Looks great, thank you for the review. Have you compared this to Z-2 Pro in terms of looks/durability?
Thanks, I've only had the JW products on my vehicle for about a month so I can't judge the durability just yet. I'll try and update this thread with my durability results in the future. I've read good things so I have high expectations, though after using various products I know usage will probably vary from user to user.
Old 09-18-06, 06:40 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by picus
I have - it looks like a mix of Z2pro and Z5. A little deeper than Z2 but a little more reflective than Z5. Not better than either, just different. The metallic pop is amazing, just like with the Z's. Durability is similar to both Zaino's, the only issue with Werkstatt is to get that durability you pretty much need to use prime and aj/ajt together.

Id say if someone has Zaino, use it. If you have neither I'd probably lean towards Werkstatt *only* because prime is an EXCELLENT chemical cleaner as well as a sealant base. It's pretty much my fav product of '06.
Hey Picus, I've noticed that the gloss actually seems to improve even more as time passes, almost as if JW continues to cure over a period of time after the initial cure (usually about 24 hours for a sealant). Have you noticed this characteristic with some of your customer's cars? I have used the AG but I wouldn't think AG alone would improve the gloss as much as I have observed. Am I seeing things?
Old 02-25-07, 02:28 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

I thought it was time for an update in case anyone was interested. It's been about 6 months since I used this stuff and it's held up well. Between regular washes and the bit of rain we've gotten here in San Diego, Werkstatt has done its job well. I haven't added any more AJT but have been wiping down with Acrylic Glos (QD) after a wash (actually alternating between AG and FK-425). The finish is still very glossy and highly reflective. I finally gave in and applied more AJT to the hood but not because I had to

Here are a couple of pics.

Still beading...

After wash, before QD/AJT
Old 02-25-07, 03:41 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SDLexus
I thought it was time for an update in case anyone was interested. It's been about 6 months since I used this stuff and it's held up well. Between regular washes and the bit of rain we've gotten here in San Diego, Werkstatt has done its job well. I haven't added any more AJT but have been wiping down with Acrylic Glos (QD) after a wash (actually alternating between AG and FK-425). The finish is still very glossy and highly reflective. I finally gave in and applied more AJT to the hood but not because I had to

Here are a couple of pics.

Werkstatt Prime and AJT have become my go to sealants for lighter colored cars. I think you touched on what I think is the most exceptional thing about them; the gloss/wetness they initially give you is maintained through the life of the product, so even after 4-6 months the car looks as good after a wash as when it was initially applied.

Old 02-27-07, 12:08 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

I used the Klasse twins for about 4 years until I tried Prime Acrylic and Acrylic Jett Trigger. I usually got 8-10 months minimum on my wife's CRV with AIO x 1 and SG x 2 .....however, it was garaged at both home and work.

I have Prime Acrylic x 1 and AJT x 3 on my metallic silver and I am sold on this product. I will never know how long the AJT lasts because it is so easy to use ..... it is exactly like applying a quick detailer spray. 5 minutes to do the whole car....are you kidding me? It just doesn't get any better than that.

I would say that Prime Acrylic is similar to old formula AIO except for waiting 30 minutes before buffing. Apply sparingly and let it sit for 30 minutes and it buffs off effortlessly.

Acrylic Jett Trigger sealant and Optimum Car Wax are the two easiest last stage protectants I have used and both are suprisingly affordable, durable, layerable, and great looking.
Old 02-27-07, 04:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by picus

Werkstatt Prime and AJT have become my go to sealants for lighter colored cars. I think you touched on what I think is the most exceptional thing about them; the gloss/wetness they initially give you is maintained through the life of the product, so even after 4-6 months the car looks as good after a wash as when it was initially applied.

This past weekend my car was parked next to another black onyx GS (forum member here) and my car looked deeper/glossier/wetter than his, even though our cars are the same. I love Jeffs Werkstatt products
Old 02-27-07, 05:34 PM
LexFather

Wow, thanks for the review and pics.
Old 02-27-07, 10:46 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

That flake is really bumpin but im still not convinced that the durability is comparable to that of the Zaino's. You know what ima going to give it a shot anyways
Old 02-28-07, 05:43 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Give it a try; durability is on par with Zaino.
Old 02-28-07, 07:19 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Ordered (I never thought i woulda said that)

Quick Reply: Review of JEFFS Werkstatt.