Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

NXT paste wax

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 04:44 PM
RX_brain
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NXT paste wax

Fellas....I just applied Mequiar's NXT paste wax to my car. It looks good so far, but I'm just wondering if I was doing it right. How long do you guys leave the wax before you wipe off the excess with MF towel? I don't wait long at all, 30secs-1min I start wiping off the excess wax. This is my first experience with waxing by the way. Thanks.
Old 08-21-06, 05:41 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Default All you need to know is right here-

http://www.carcareonline.com/howto.aspx

Spend some time reading up and you can trust the advice from this site. Personally, I value ease of waxing above maximum shine. Therefore, I have for 15+ years used polymer type products. They go on and off easily and last longer to boot. Have fun!!
Old 08-21-06, 06:06 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_brain
Fellas....I just applied Mequiar's NXT paste wax to my car. It looks good so far, but I'm just wondering if I was doing it right. How long do you guys leave the wax before you wipe off the excess with MF towel? I don't wait long at all, 30secs-1min I start wiping off the excess wax. This is my first experience with waxing by the way. Thanks.
Use the "swipe test" to determine when NXT is ready to remove. After applying gently wipe the haze with a clean fingertip and if it smears it needs more time. Typically 20-30 minutes will be needed. It is fine to let it stay for an hour or more and it is no harder to remove if you do.

NXT is a polymer sealant and removing it too soon can leave streaks. The best approach it to apply NXT as thin and evenly as possible, leave it for a half hour and then check into removal. It removes effortlessly. Like most Polymer sealants, NXT looks even better the day after it is applied. It takes 12-24 hours for the sealant to crosslink (cure) and it should be kept dry during this time frame.
Old 08-21-06, 07:56 PM
RX_brain
Rookie

Sorry, I should have post this in the detailing forum. But one last question, would it bad if I apply a second coat? The car has stayed in the garage since I waxed it. I guess it cured because it looks a lot shinier today. Thanks.
Old 08-21-06, 08:54 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by RX_brain
Sorry, I should have post this in the detailing forum. But one last question, would it bad if I apply a second coat? The car has stayed in the garage since I waxed it. I guess it cured because it looks a lot shinier today. Thanks.
Maybe the admin can move this thread.

To answer your question, I, like a lot of NXT users apply a second coat after 12-24 hours. Be sure the surface is clean. You may want to use a quick detailer to remove any dust first. This will prevent marring of the finish.
Old 08-22-06, 04:50 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

So I should wax the whole car, then wait an hour then remove? That means on the first fender the wax will have been there about an hour and a half. I find it hard to remove the wax myself the longer it sits. Maybe it is hard to remove because I haven't been waiting long enough?
Old 08-22-06, 06:24 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by nighthawk
So I should wax the whole car, then wait an hour then remove? That means on the first fender the wax will have been there about an hour and a half. I find it hard to remove the wax myself the longer it sits. Maybe it is hard to remove because I haven't been waiting long enough?
If you apply NXT thinly, it is easy to remove no matter how long it is left on. I'd suggest that 20-30 minutes should be adequate unless it is very humid. That's 20-30 minutes from the time you apply it to a panel till the time you remove it. To be safe, it is best to do the swipe test as I described earlier.

More is not better though so apply it as thin as you can. I use an Even-Coat applicator. It's a foam pad with a microfiber cover. You can really spread NXT thinly with this kind of pad. If you have a PC you can use it to apply NXt and it goes on very even and thin. Use a polishing or finishing pad at speed 3.
Old 08-25-06, 09:24 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There are many products better than NXT for longevity, but it does look nice for awhile. If you have trouble removing it after 30 minutes or so, use a quick detailer and mist each section as you remove/buff to ease the process. This will not remove protection.

I've used NXT, and have had streaking if removed too soon, and when I left it on too long. I find it a difficult product to use compared to Klasse AIO, Zaino, and most other sealants. You can top NXT with a wax if you like more depth and less of a "saran wrap" appearance.

There is no need to apply a second coat of NXT, other than to hit areas you might have missed the first time around. NXT contains chemical cleaners, so you'll be removing some of the first coat. There are differing opinions on this, of course.

Regardless of how many coats you apply, remember to apply in a linear motion to reduce swirls, and remove with a good quality microfiber towel. NXT has some fillers, so if you notice swirls "coming back" in a few weeks, it's just the NXT wearing off. To get rid of the swirls completely, use a PC or rotary buffer (if you're comfortable with that) and a good polish with no fillers.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-06, 12:23 AM
RX_brain
Rookie

Thanks very much for a very informative replies!!