Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Once a year car polish!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 09:26 PM
Nostics_RX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once a year car polish!

Just wanted to know you guy's opinion on Nu Finish polish product. Any good or bad thing about this product?? Thanks.
Old 08-01-06, 09:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I wouldn't let it touch my car. Even the guys with some of the best polish out there will polish their car often. A year is a joke honestly. That's like a product out there claiming you dont have to wash your car for a whole 3 months, while still maintaining that dust-free paint.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 08-03-06, 07:16 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

Actually a couple years ago, Consumer Reports did a test on a bunch of different "waxes" and listed the NuFinish as one of the better ones. Their testing using "simulated" 1 year's wear (washing the vehicle 52 times over the course of a week or so) showed that it still beaded up. While that might be good, to me it still doesn't prove that it will actually last over 1 year of regular and normal weather. Washing it numerous times is one thing, sun, rain, snow, dust and so forth is what really weathers a finish to me anyway. I've used NuFinish on one of my previous vehicles, but not my previous and current Lexus. I've been using Meg NXT and really like it. Try to do the vehicle a couple times in a week then go for a couple months. Also try to get a couple good coats on in Oct. and get thru the winter on that. Try the NuFinish if you want but don't try to go a year on it. Maybe a couple months.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud (in Thundercloud Mist)
NAV & ML
Towing Package (with hitch)
Clear Bra
18" Thundercloud Rims
1998 GS300 Burnished Gold (Retired)
Old 08-03-06, 10:13 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also it's worth to note that water can bead on any clean surface. It doesn't mean there's any wax left.

According to CR, even the most durable wax loses its protection after 5 weeks (exposed outside 24/7.) So if your car is parked outside at work and in garage at home, the most durable wax can last about 3 months or so.
Old 08-04-06, 07:02 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Also it's worth to note that water can bead on any clean surface. It doesn't mean there's any wax left.

According to CR, even the most durable wax loses its protection after 5 weeks (exposed outside 24/7.) So if your car is parked outside at work and in garage at home, the most durable wax can last about 3 months or so.
Hence my suggestion to find a product that is really easy to use, then you won't mind using it more frequently. Expecting a product to last over 3-6 months is not realistic. No product looks as good three months after application as it did when first applied unless you don't drive it and keep it garaged.

People have different expectations from their vehicles and wax. Some want their cars to look sharp and freshly detailed all the time. Others don't really care how their car looks as long as it doesn't get rusty. You have to judge for your self what your goals are and choose products and frequency accordingly.
Old 08-04-06, 02:30 PM
Nostics_RX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input guys. I've used Nu Finish on my old Eclipse for several years applied twice a year. It was good enough for me then. I just don't see guys talk about it here. I was thinking it would be a "No, No" for a Lexus. I guess the consensus is, it's an ok product as long as it's applied at least every 3 months. That's good enough for me.
Old 08-04-06, 03:12 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nostics_RX
Thanks for the input guys. I've used Nu Finish on my old Eclipse for several years applied twice a year. It was good enough for me then. I just don't see guys talk about it here. I was thinking it would be a "No, No" for a Lexus. I guess the consensus is, it's an ok product as long as it's applied at least every 3 months. That's good enough for me.
It's a crap product IMO and I used it for years, but no more. There's simply better products on the market that cost nearly the same as Nu Finish. One thing I don't like about NF is the kerosene odor that it has...it contain solvents, which I'd rather stay away from. I also didn't like the amount of dust it creates when being removed, a complete PITA. I threw that crap in the garbage and moved on to Meguiars NXT wax which is a much better product.

If you just try the search field it will give you a wealth of knowledge and bring up a bunch of previous threads where we already discussed this product:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=nufinish
Old 08-04-06, 03:42 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I was about to make a similar comment. I used to use NuFinish but I wouldn't use it on any new car today especially my Lexus. There are much better products IMO.

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
It's a crap product IMO and I used it for years, but no more. There's simply better products on the market that cost nearly the same as Nu Finish. One thing I don't like about NF is the kerosene odor that it has...it contain solvents, which I'd rather stay away from. I also didn't like the amount of dust it creates when being removed, a complete PITA. I threw that crap in the garbage and moved on to Meguiars NXT wax which is a much better product.

If you just try the search field it will give you a wealth of knowledge and bring up a bunch of previous threads where we already discussed this product:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=nufinish