Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

washing, claying, polishing and waxing

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-06, 09:25 PM
pakiblaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washing, claying, polishing and waxing

im hoping to purchase clay, polish, wax etc in order to make my cars look better but have no idea which brand or what items in particular to buy. i have a buffer if that helps but hopefully you'll be able to recommend some good stuff.

thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-06, 09:28 PM
p_r_i_m_o
Driver

you may want to check out the Automotive Care & Detailing section....all of your questions will be answered
Old 07-25-06, 07:05 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pakiblaze
im hoping to purchase clay, polish, wax etc in order to make my cars look better but have no idea which brand or what items in particular to buy. i have a buffer if that helps but hopefully you'll be able to recommend some good stuff.

thanks in advance.
There are countless "right" answers to your query. I'll give you a starting point but it is important to remember that everyone has their own favorites products.

This system will work and you will see stepped up results..

I'd start with recommending you wash with Meguiar's Giold Class Wash or Meguiar;s NXT Tech Wash. Use a new wash mitt and the two bucket method of washing with grit guards. Dry with high quality waffle-weave microfiber towels.

Next I'd clay with Meguiar's award winning Smooth Surface Clay Kit. Use the supplied lube liberally to keep the clay gliding smoothly over your paint. Do small areas at a time and wipe up the residue with microfiber towels. (Tip 1: cut the supplied clay bar in two or three pieces and pop the unused pieces in a plastic bag. If you drop the clay throw it out and use one of the other pieces. Tip 2: After you clay all your paint, use the clay on your glass surfaces then finally clay your wheels.)

I'd suggest the Meguiar's Deep Crystal product group for getting started. It consists of Step 1 Paint Cleaner, Step 2 Polish and instead of the step #3 Carnauba Wax I'd suggest you use their NXT Tech Wax. I'd apply a second coat of the NXT Tech Wax a day after the first application. If possible, don't allow the car to get wet for 24 hours after the wax for best results.

You will notice that I predominately use and recommend Meguiar's products. I've been asked why I always recommend Meguiar's. This is because I've used their products for over 45 years and never been disappointed. They have the broadest product range of any car care company. They have been in this business for over 100 years. They offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. They have staff available at an 800# to assist you if you need help or have any problems using their products. They spend more on R&D than most of the others earn in total. They are a class act.

That said, there are a lot of high quality car care products on the market. Use what you like best and gives you the results you like.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-25-06 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-25-06, 08:23 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
There are countless "right" answers to your query. I'll give you a starting point but it is important to remember that everyone has their own favorites products.

This system will work and you will see stepped up results..

I'd start with recommending you wash with Meguiar's Giold Class Wash or Meguiar;s NXT Tech Wash. Use a new wash mitt and the two bucket method of washing with grit guards. Dry with high quality waffle-weave microfiber towels.

Next I'd clay with Meguiar's award winning Smooth Surface Clay Kit. Use the supplied lube liberally to keep the clay gliding smoothly over your paint. Do small areas at a time and wipe up the residue with microfiber towels. (Tip 1: cut the supplied clay bar in two or three pieces and pop the unused pieces in a plastic bag. If you drop the clay throw it out and use one of the other pieces. Tip 2: After you clay all your paint, use the clay on your glass surfaces then finally clay your wheels.)

I'd suggest the Meguiar's Deep Crystal product group for getting started. It consists of Step 1 Paint Cleaner, Step 2 Polish and instead of the step #3 Carnauba Wax I'd suggest you use their NXT Tech Wax. I'd apply a second coat of the NXT Tech Wax a day after the first application. If possible, don't allow the car to get wet for 24 hours after the wax for best results.

You will notice that I predominately use and recommend Meguiar's products. I've been asked why I always recommend Meguiar's. This is because I've used their products for over 45 years and never been disappointed. They have the broadest product range of any car care company. They have been in this business for over 100 years. They offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. They have staff available at an 800# to assist you if you need help or have any problems using their products. They spend more on R&D than most of the others earn in total. They are a class act.

That said, there are a lot of high quality car care products on the market. Use what you like best and gives you the results you like.
That's EXACTLY how I did it when I clayed my car earlier this spring, except instead of #1 paint cleaner I had used 3M Rubbing Compound followed by Kit SCRATCH-OUT in order to remove a lot of my deeper swirl marks.

Old 07-26-06, 09:36 AM
pakiblaze
Driver School Candidate

alright, thx guys. im gonna order the megiuar stuff online b/c i havent seen the stuff around pep boys.

thanks again.

oh and nylex, your car looks amazing.
Old 07-27-06, 12:55 AM
FranES300
Driver School Candidate

Not sure about Pep Boys but many of the auto chains (AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, etc.) do carry Meguiar's although they usually have a limited selection. The best place I have found for ordering Meguiar's online is http://autodetailingsolutions.com/index.htm. They have a huge variety, excellent prices, and the customer service is outstanding.