Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dashboard Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-06, 08:07 PM
BigChief17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard Dilemma

Took delivery on my IS 350 Saturday after over 4 months of wait time. Well worth the wait! The ride from Jax to NOLA provided me with over 500 miles (eating up the controversial break-in period).

The question I have is for all of the detailing gurus. I have the SGM with black interior. I like the "undetailed" look/color of the dash and paneling. I don't necessarily want to "Amour-all" it and have it all shiny.

A) Is it cool for me to leave it "unprotected" in the sun.

and

B) Is there a protectant on the marked that won't give me the blinging, glossy finish?
Old 07-23-06, 08:13 PM
c5mtl
Rookie

Amour-all low gloss
Old 07-23-06, 08:57 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! I'm glad you didn't buy your IS at Lexus of New Orleans... **** poor service, but that's another story...

Anyway, Meguiar's just came out with some wipes that clean and protect, but don't leave your interior looking and feeling like a grease bucket - they're called 'Quik All Surface Interior Detailer Wipes.' Gives UVA/UVB protection, and smells good, to boot!

Javier
Old 07-23-06, 09:06 PM
BigChief17
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, man.

You are absolutely right. Lexus of NOLA is sub-par (at best). I bought my wife's RX 330 from Jax last year, and happily made the trip again after trying to deal with Lexus of NOLA.

I guess "Elite" status for dealerships really means something (then again, maybe not).
Old 07-23-06, 09:18 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i use the regular armor-all but i don't get any gloss at all due to the texture of the dash.
Old 07-23-06, 09:22 PM
iStyle
Driver

Sonus Cockpit Detailer (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/) leaves a fresh, matte finish without a trace of gloss or grease.

It had my '01 IS300's interior looking like it just rolled off the assembly line.
Old 07-24-06, 01:03 AM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Aerospace Protectant 303 and have been using it for 7 years already. My first car of 10 years didn't have it and now the dash and leather looks a bit ragged. I've used it on my second car of 7 years and until now the dash and leather still looks great.

Now I'm still using it on my IS350 and I won't change to anything else unless it's proven over the years.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant
It's also highly recommended by Autopia.org (becareful you might turn into a detailing freak and spend lots of money on products if you get stuck on this site )
Old 07-24-06, 01:05 AM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also....Aerospace protectant 303 doesn't leave the ugly shiny finish when you apply it. It won't make your leather look like you've been using soul-glow curl activator in your jerry curls.
Old 07-24-06, 05:04 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Aerospace 303 protectant ... Much better than Armor-all.
Old 07-24-06, 06:37 AM
BShears
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tammy
Aerospace 303 protectant ... Much better than Armor-all.
Can you use 303 on the instrument panel, the shifter plate, the dash components like the radio and climate buttons (not the nav screen of course)?
Old 07-24-06, 06:53 AM
tgara
Pole Position

In your area, I would definitely put some protectant on the dash, especially if you do not or cannot put the car in a garage.

Definitely get a product with a sunscreen, such as Meguiar's Natural Shine protectant, Aerospace 303 (if you can find it), or Vinylex (made by Lexol). I would avoid Armor-All products since they contain undesirable silicones.

Also, keep in mind that whatever you put on the dash will leave a little gloss depending on how hard you buff it off. However, that gloss will diminish over about 2 weeks as the protectant evaporates.
Old 07-24-06, 06:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Hi Bigchief - we have a detailing forum for questions like these... I'm moving your post there
Old 07-24-06, 09:28 AM
Oceanedge
Driver School Candidate

303, VInylex (By Lexol) or Interior Protectant by Blackfire...all very good products with very low gloss.
Old 07-24-06, 12:52 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Armor All has been water based for a while now. For a natural looking dash I would use either 303 or Meguiar's #40 as a protectant and Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer as a cleaner.
Old 07-24-06, 01:27 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To answer a previous question regarding what these protectants can be used on, well...anything vinyl, plastic, rubber. That includes ***** etc.

With low-end products, *some* of those protectants can leave a slippery feel, (not so with 303 and some others) so use caution on running boards, pedals etc.

Always avoid clear plastic bezels though - it can permanently stain them, and never spray them on interior parts, always apply to a cloth and wipe on.

Quick Reply: Dashboard Dilemma