Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Marred Dash

Old 07-12-06, 07:32 AM
tomrhyne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marred Dash

Just used some Sonus Cockpit Detailer to clean my dash and noticed some streaks when I got through. Tried to buff them off with a microfiber towel, but they wouldn't come off. A closer inspection showed the dash was marred. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what causes it and is there a way to remove the marks?

Thanks.
Yom
<><
Old 07-12-06, 07:49 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

I've got discolored marks from leaning my nav unit against my dash. Small 1/2 centimer places where the dash is no longer black, but a greenish blue black color....
Old 07-12-06, 07:50 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Aerospace 303 ?
Old 07-12-06, 08:16 AM
tomrhyne
Driver School Candidate

Tammy, I don't understand your reply.

Thanks.
Tom
<><
Old 07-12-06, 09:18 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Tammy's intent was to suggest you use 303 Areospace Protectant and see if that hides the marks. It will typically darken plastic and vinyl items a bit. Mother's Back to Black is another choice, there are many. I do prefer 303 myself.

Now...Anything plastic can be buffed, even wetsanded, however, if it's textured, chances are you'll have to live with the marks because when you use abrasives on textured plastic/vinyl you wind up messing up the texture to remove the marks, and it's just as bad visually.

Also, you'll have to know whether or not the material is injection-molded with the color clear through, or if the item(s) have only a top layer of paint or coloring. If you abrade them, you might just go right through that top layer.

That said, i have wetsanded and polished plastic marks out of surfaces that were injection molded in with color.

Best of luck.
Old 07-12-06, 09:30 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Didn't mean to be unclear.... Like Dan said.
Old 07-12-06, 11:32 AM
tomrhyne
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I guess I was a little dense! Do you think the microfiber caused the marks? If so the dash must be relatively soft.

Tom
<><
Old 07-12-06, 06:25 PM
Guitarman

The microfiber wouldn't do it, well..a CLEAN microfiber wouldn't at least. However, if there was some sand or grit on the dash (I suppose it couldv'e been in / on the cloth too) and you wipe, scratches would occur.
Old 07-12-06, 07:29 PM
tomrhyne
Driver School Candidate

Dan, thanks. It doesn't look as though it is scratched. You can just see a mark or blur. Hard to describe. I'm going to get a magnifying glass and examine it more closely. I'm hoping I can some how work it out.

Tom
<><
Old 07-13-06, 05:50 AM
Guitarman

Tom, I really can't fathom a guess as to how it got there then, if you can dress the dash with a protectant and hide it, that would be your best bet.

Can you take a pic or will it be hard to see from our point of view?

The only other option I can think of is to have a pro respray some matched vinyl dye on the area and blend it out.
Old 07-16-06, 04:33 PM
tomrhyne
Driver School Candidate

Well I succeeded in removing the marrs. I started by putting a small amount of Sonus cockpit detailer on a microfiber covered sponge applicator and weting the area pretty good. I then took a soft toothbrush and scrubbed the areas of concern. I then wiped the area down with a microfiber towel. As soon as I wiped the area with a dry microfiber towel, the streaks reappeared. I thought I was using a detailing towel, but with a closer examination, I discovered I was using a Sonus der wunder drying towel. I have no idea if this could have been the cause. I got rid of the marrs by using the same microfiber smonge with the cockpit detaler applied and going in a circular motion over the dash. Instead of using the microfiber towel to dry the dash, I simply flipped the smonge over and used the dry side to buff it in a circular motion. The marrs disappered.

Any suggestion as to what caused this would be appreciated.

Tom
<><