Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint Blemishes

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 04:35 PM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Blemishes

I was just cleaning up my GS300 and noticed that areas where birds left presents for me appeared to have caused the clear coat to rise. These aren't the full on bird droppings, but those annoying small yellow blotches. I usually clean them off within 24 hours of noticing them.

How can I buff these blemishes out? I've tried Scratch X and Turtle Wax polishing compound with no avail. You can't see it unless you know what you're trying to find. Thanks!
Old 06-25-06, 05:19 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

You can try Zaino.
www.zainobros.com
Old 06-25-06, 05:28 PM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

Thanks for the link. Have you personally used it? I've tried some similar products and they do a good job of removing swirls and light surface scratches, but not bird droppings. I guess that I'm being **** and something like this is bound to happen to lots of us. The car is barely over a month old, that's why it bothers me.
Old 06-25-06, 07:10 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

No wax or sealant will remove this marring. You will only be able to remove or improve the appearance with an abrasive polish. I'd suggest several applications of ScratchX if you are attempting this by hand or Meg's #83 if you are using a PC or rotary. It is very possible that the paint is etched so deeply that it can not be removed completely without damaging the clear.
Old 06-25-06, 09:44 PM
UAL
Rookie

Talking

On my E39 M5, I had the same thing happen and had to have it wetsanded to get most of it out. The bird crap really eats right through the clearcoat. Try finding a real good detailer and see if he is able to buff it out. Good luck....
Old 06-27-06, 09:13 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

When it comes to the bird waste it is most important to clean it off as soon as you see it. If the sun gets to it it goes right into the clear.
Old 06-28-06, 08:31 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CrazyTrain
Thanks for the link. Have you personally used it? I've tried some similar products and they do a good job of removing swirls and light surface scratches, but not bird droppings. I guess that I'm being **** and something like this is bound to happen to lots of us. The car is barely over a month old, that's why it bothers me.

Like what Bocatrip said, the best thing to do is to get it off asap.

I've been using Zaino for more than 5 years now. I have not use it on any bird dropping marks, but I've used it on many scratches. I love black cars and Zaino is the only thing I've found to keep my black car shinny and swirl free. You can also call them directly or email to Sal and see what they can suggest. Zaino is no harder to use than any other cleaner/wax/polish system (if you want to do it right). I defeinitely would suggest you to try it. Hope this help.
Old 06-28-06, 01:48 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyTrain
I guess that I'm being **** and something like this is bound to happen to lots of us. The car is barely over a month old, that's why it bothers me.
I have found most ppl on this forum are a bit **** about their cars.....and that's a good thing, IMO. Shows a dedication to keeping a beautiful car like a Lexus looking its best.
The problem is, the darn birds are alittle TOO ****....if you know what I mean.

I had a couple of bird marks on the roof of my car. ScratchX helped alot though did not completely remote them.
Old 07-01-06, 08:53 AM
exvelocity
Pole Position

what color is your car? can you feel the problem area when you run your hand over it? are you sure it's not tree sap?
Old 07-05-06, 10:11 PM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

My car is Flint Mica. I'm positive that it's not tree sap. I park it next to a car port and birds are constantly doing fly bys and occassionally leaving presents for me on my hood. Scratch X worked very well for some minor surface scratches and scuffs, but did nothing for the bird crap. I'm not nearly as **** now, but I just don't want the paint getting worse with time.
Old 07-06-06, 12:01 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
I had a couple of bird marks on the roof of my car. ScratchX helped alot though did not completely remote them.
That's why we should wax our babies and give the birds the bird.

Once a bird (I'm guessing a goose) must had a really bad day and dumped tons of crap on my roof and windshield while I was driving. It was like 20 birds of worth in just one load. I was 3 minutes away from my favorite car wash. The car wash guy was like WTH??? Fortunately everything cleaned off easily.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 07-06-06 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-09-06, 12:07 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

after I cut and buffed my paint I put so many coats of paste wax on that bird crap blows right off it practically keep the car protected int he first place to avoid this problem
Old 07-09-06, 05:42 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
after I cut and buffed my paint I put so many coats of paste wax on that bird crap blows right off it practically keep the car protected int he first place to avoid this problem
Except that doesn't always work. It depends on what the bird has been eating. I've seen damage on a highly protected surface after two hours of contact. This excrement can be much more caustic than vinegar or even concentrated dishwashing liquid. It can melt right through the micro-thin protection layer. It is important to remove this stuff ASAP to avoid/minimize damage.
Old 07-09-06, 11:07 AM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

I always try to remove bird crap as soon as I see it. Most of us don't have that luxury because of work or travel. I have a nice coat of Meguiars NXT Tech Wax on my car now and bird crap doesn't always come right off. I'm not as **** anymore and will live with the reality that birds crap on cars all day long.