Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do I get scratch out of my Rim? HELP PLEASEEEEE

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 03:52 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get scratch out of my Rim? HELP PLEASEEEEE

I have a sc430 with the pie shaped wheels, and the rims have scratches along the edges from the retard who drove it before me. Anyways, I want to conceal or fix these scratches and don't have the money it will take to get the rims redone. So, I was wondering if someone knew of some paint I could use to touch up the edges, that way, atleast the scratches are not black and will be less noticible. Or, if there's a cheap fix, than that'll work too. The rims are not chrome, they are polished silver. I've included a pic below that I just took, it's the worst scratch... THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails How do I get scratch out of my Rim? HELP PLEASEEEEE-rim_scratch.jpg  
Old 06-19-06, 03:35 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not that familiar with those rims, but if they're painted (silver+ clearcoat) then you can file it down, fill it, sand it level, then primer and paint it . Yes, a lot of work of course. I;ve done it on painted rims, and it's still worth it IMO.

If OTOH, it's plain alloy, well....there's not much you can do outside of filing it down smooth and polishing it to match, but then, you'll see the indent of where the rash was, because the process removes even more alloy. You can't fill metal rims because the filler will be as obvious as the curb rash, and you can't blend it in either.

One of the reasons you hadn't gotten replies was likely...no one weanted to give you the bad news. Sorry, hope this helps in some way.

DAN
Old 06-19-06, 03:43 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Its probably too difficult for a DIY....

Find a reputable wheel shop, they can probably fix it..
Old 06-27-06, 04:43 AM
B1TEM3
Pole Position

I 've done it before.
same wheel sc430 with bad curbed rash around the rims.

I add metal then sand it, shop lathe would be helpful if you have access,
paint and clear coat. if you are close to Oregon, I'll be glad to do it for you for a small fee
Old 06-30-06, 07:55 PM
diamondmit
Driver

Default Simple fix - you can do this in a weekend!

I purchased a 2001 GS430 this past fall and it had 5 (including the spare) badly scuffed rims. I found at least 4 websites that described how to do your own repairs, either on or off the car, with the tire either mounted or dismounted.

In a nutshell, just use a dremel tool to lightly grind down the high edges of the scuffs and scratches. Sand. Fill with bondo. Sand. Paint. Sand (lightly). Lacquer. Done. (3 coats paint, 3 coats lacquer)

I did all the wheels off the car, but left the tires on and they look great (I'll try to send pictures)

Check out these links to how-to pages...good luck!
dd

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/realwhda.html
http://www.properautocare.com/wusilasppa.html
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/949926.phtml