Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Window Tinting - Lumar

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 05:31 AM
IS250-AWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tinting - Lumar

Anyone ever heard of Lumar window tinting. The cost is $200.00

I called a place in RI that does window tinting and the person there said they use Lumar window tinting.

I'm looking for a little feedback about the product.

Good?
Bad?
Never heard of it?
Old 06-07-06, 05:47 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Llumar is good stuff. After 6 years in my old car it still looked perfect...no rear defroster discoloration either.

20% Llumar

Old 06-07-06, 06:08 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Llumar is good stuff comes with a life time warranty. I had 15% all around done my IS. The price sounds about right too, I think I paid about $160.
Old 06-07-06, 07:33 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

glad you asked this . . . i was going to go with some real expensive stuff but i think the llumar is going to treat me just fine. Is the llumar ceramic? Will it have any chance of interference with the sat radio or nav?
Old 06-07-06, 07:34 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mwaull
glad you asked this . . . i was going to go with some real expensive stuff but i think the llumar is going to treat me just fine. Is the llumar ceramic? Will it have any chance of interference with the sat radio or nav?
My Llumar was not ceramic. Nav should be unaffected since the antenna is up in the rearview mirror cluster by the wiper rain sensor.
Old 06-07-06, 07:37 AM
Bengalfang
Driver

I got Llumar on my IS a 3 weeks ago. It hasn't peeled yet!

From the research I did, Llumar is a very respectable brand.

There has been no interference with the Nav signal that I can tell.

Got mine installed by Lexus and ran 200 after tax for 5 windows.
Old 06-07-06, 07:42 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Bengalfang. . . did you order the tint from someone and got it installed by Lexus, or ordered it from Lexus as well? Also did you order the clear bra directly from your Lexus dealer?
Old 06-07-06, 07:50 AM
sab504
Pit Crew

I had Llamar tint on my old 00' Prelude 5 years ago for $100. My friend hooked me up at the time. The original cost would be like $150 at his store. It is still in perfect shape as of today even tho my motor is blown to pieces
Old 06-07-06, 08:47 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Llumar is some great tint, I've had it on 4 seperate vehicles over the years and there was no fading, didn't scratch or peel and looked great even after 5-6 years.

The Llumar tint I had installed was metallic but didn't interfere too much with satellite radio antenna.
Old 06-07-06, 08:54 AM
Bengalfang
Driver

Originally Posted by mwaull
Bengalfang. . . did you order the tint from someone and got it installed by Lexus, or ordered it from Lexus as well? Also did you order the clear bra directly from your Lexus dealer?
The Lexus dealership here uses Llumar when tinting. So I got it all from them.

My dealership doesn't do clear bras so I went to a local place that some dealerships use and got it done there.
Old 06-07-06, 09:11 AM
sanwong
Driver

Originally Posted by IS250-AWD
Anyone ever heard of Lumar window tinting. The cost is $200.00

I called a place in RI that does window tinting and the person there said they use Lumar window tinting.

I'm looking for a little feedback about the product.

Good?
Bad?
Never heard of it?
Lumar and Formula One films have the same parent company....CPFilms..I was A Lumar Dealer and was picked to be a formula one franchise......never had problem with Lumar films!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not Sure if they have a ceramic film though....
Old 06-07-06, 10:23 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had it on 3 of my last cars, It's considered one of the best window films out
Old 06-07-06, 12:07 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My tint guy says Llumar is crap, and he quit using them. Said it was fading to purple and he couldn't get Llumar to stand behind it. But of course you never know the whole story on these things.

Any tint you get for $200 is dyed, not ceramic or metallic. Those tints cost more than that. Dyed films are just that - dyed to get the color. They work by absorbing the light and heat, rather than by rejecting (or reflecting) it. A dyed tint will have to be darker to the eye to get the same light rejection as a ceramic or metallic film, so a 30% dyed tint, for example, will look darker than a 30% metallic.

As long as you get a guarantee on your tint, and get it done at a shop that will be there in a few years, you should be okay. All tints will fade over time, and will do so more quickly if the car is out in the sun a lot. Most of those guarantees, BTW, are just based on the expectation the original purchaser will get rid of the car before the tint fades or bubbles ... not because the tint is that good.
Old 06-07-06, 12:07 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

My experience with Llumar matches the others here. Had it on 3 previous BMWs, and it was good quality stuff. Had the metallic (Stealth line) tint, and didn't affect my radio reception that I ever noticed.

Bengalfang, how much did you pay for the clearbra install? And where did you get it done?
Old 06-07-06, 12:15 PM
Bengalfang
Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
My experience with Llumar matches the others here. Had it on 3 previous BMWs, and it was good quality stuff. Had the metallic (Stealth line) tint, and didn't affect my radio reception that I ever noticed.

Bengalfang, how much did you pay for the clearbra install? And where did you get it done?

I got it at Driving Expressions in Sarasota. Not sure if you are around the area. I paid 588 after tax. They did a pretty decent job, but not perfect. They seem to work with all the luxury cars around here though so I took my car to them. You can come take a look at mine sometime if you are in the area.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting - Lumar