Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Why all the Swirl Mark Complaints?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 02:56 PM
iStyle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why all the Swirl Mark Complaints?

I understand that swirl marks are basically inevitable. On darker colors, it can be a frustrating thing.

But all the complaints of heavy swirl marks from people who've just purchased their ISX50s have me worried, if a bit perplexed. Swirl marks don't just happen. They're the result of poor/hastily-done washing and drying...at least in my experience. A brand new car shouldn't have swirl marks/etching in the paint if the owner has carefully washed it themself using the right products.

So to everyone complaining about swirl marks on their brand new ISX50s...How are you washing your car?
Old 06-05-06, 03:02 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then again, most new cars go through the process of a free pre-delivery car wash.

So maybe that is where it starts.

I know my car is swirled from the get go. But it's not too bad on my lighter colored car. It's going to get it's TLC treatment soon.

I say don't fret, just give it a good polish.
Old 06-05-06, 03:05 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paint quality on this car is just sucks
Old 06-05-06, 03:07 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are correct. Cars are not born with swirl marks. It is the result of careless/or ignorant washing and waxing. For starters the dealer should be kept out of the loop when it comes to the "we'll wash your car for you while it's here for service". And for those who for very valid reasons don't wash their own cars, they must ascertain ahead of time how the car is being washed and polished/waxed. Just my .02cents worth.
Old 06-05-06, 03:15 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iStyle
How are you washing your car?
First and foremost, I have a light colored car and swirl marks do not show.

My sister's Lex is a black GS, and it's quite difficult to maintain, but doable. To prevent swirl marks, I use a clean cloth that does not lint. Waxing after some washes will help it keep its shine streak free. If I don't do these, there will be swirl marks with any dark colored car, whether it's a Lex or not, new or a few years old.

It's all about maintenance. Some people maintain their cars better than others...
Old 06-05-06, 03:17 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Swirl marks are inevitble even washing yourself. Any time you rub anything over your car's paint swirls can and more than likely will occur.
Old 06-05-06, 03:30 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexustom
Cars are not born with swirl marks.
Agree

It is the result of careless/or ignorant washing and waxing.
Not necessarily. I consider myself to be a detailing nut. I use the best quality wool mitt using the 2 bucket (1 w/ just water to rinse the mitt off and another w/ soap and water to lather it back up.) If the sides of the car are real dirty, I will literally take 2 light passes (one on each side of the mitt), rinse, lather and repeat. Despite this, I'm still getting scratches (not swirl marks as that would be a sign of uninformed/careless washing technique.)

Despite my disdain for scratches, I consider them unavoidable and something that can be taken care of periodically with a PC/Rotary.
Old 06-05-06, 04:38 PM
Kavistar
Rookie

I was just at the dealer and had the protective paint option put on my car. I figured, anything is better than nothing. While I was talking to the service department person, he talked to me about swirl marks. He said the best thing you can do to not have them is to use a pressure washer on your car before you wash it. This will remove the dirt to start with. Just soaking your car with water before you starting using your mitt to wash it only makes the dry dirt wet dirt before you "smear" it in.

Isn't it bad to use a pressure washer? I do have a clear bra also, so...should I invest in a pressure washer or just use a conventional hand wash?
Old 06-05-06, 07:11 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Kavistar
...should I invest in a pressure washer or just use a conventional hand wash?
Hmmm, forcing dirt and debris into and off of your car finish at 1000psi...
Old 06-05-06, 07:23 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

By design, wash mitts/car sponges/rags all work to the detriment of automotive paint. By using them, dirt and road grime is trapped between the material and the clear coat and when you rub rub rub guess what happens?

I've found that Griot's claims about their boar's hair brush are true...it's pricey but does a GREAT job of lessening the chances of swirl marks. It's extremely soft, and when you wash the car, the dirt isn't trapped against your paint. Shake it often in the wash bucket to allow the dirt to fall out and soak up plenty of suds and fresh(er) water. It kept my 6-year-old A4's paint looking flawless.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=66073
Old 06-05-06, 07:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by conekiller
By design, wash mitts/car sponges/rags all work to the detriment of automotive paint. By using them, dirt and road grime is trapped between the material and the clear coat and when you rub rub rub guess what happens?

I've found that Griot's claims about their boar's hair brush are true...it's pricey but does a GREAT job of lessening the chances of swirl marks. It's extremely soft, and when you wash the car, the dirt isn't trapped against your paint. Shake it often in the wash bucket to allow the dirt to fall out and soak up plenty of suds and fresh(er) water. It kept my 6-year-old A4's paint looking flawless.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=66073
That exact brush left a lot of tiny scratch marks on my Black Onyx GS. Not as advertised, I'll never let one be used on my car again.
Old 06-05-06, 08:02 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Fresh clean sheepskin mitts are my pick. I never apply heavy pressure. If the dirt doesn't come off don't rub harder. Revert to clay to remove any stubborn dirt. I wash with the the two bucket method with grit guards.

Remove the hose nozzle and reduce the water flow and sheet off most of the water then dry gently with waffle-weave microfiber towels. Gentle is the key. I don't have any swirls in my cars. Even my 15 year old 1991 MR2 shown below is swirl free.

Old 06-05-06, 08:23 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
That exact brush left a lot of tiny scratch marks on my Black Onyx GS. Not as advertised, I'll never let one be used on my car again.
Odd...everyone I know who's used it loves the thing. I've never had a problem with anything from Griot's.
Old 06-05-06, 08:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Odd...everyone I know who's used it loves the thing. I've never had a problem with anything from Griot's.
Me either. I suspect it's just fine on other colors other than Black Onyx... it just shows every little thing every time you touch it with a swirl, scratch or spiderweb.
Old 06-06-06, 08:49 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

what color was your audi?

Quick Reply: Why all the Swirl Mark Complaints?