Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Anybody use Wheel Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 02:31 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody use Wheel Wax?

Does anybody out there use Wheel Wax or something similar to try to repel as much of the break dust?

http://www.wheelwax.com/

There are products that make cleaning easier, but I was wondering if products that try to prevent as much of it from clinging to the wheel in the first place really work.

Next, I'll want a Star Trek force field...
Old 03-04-06, 03:16 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

No need for any special "wheel wax". You can use regular carnuba wax or whatever you'd usually use on your paint on your wheels to make it easier to get brake dust off.
Old 03-04-06, 03:24 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tried this product called "michilin brake dust repellent", It was pretty much
useless..
Old 03-04-06, 04:41 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tony1
i tried this product called "michilin brake dust repellent", It was pretty much
useless..
I remember watching some car show on TV and they tried several brake dust repellants..all basically sucked...Read the same thing in Car and Driver a few months back as well
Old 03-04-06, 04:44 PM
QikSilvr
Driver

I spay mine with Turtle Wax finsh wax after washing. I just spray and let it dry. It seems to help some and it does not take a lot of extra effort.
Old 03-04-06, 04:45 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

I've been using Wheelwax for several years, as have several friends of mine. It IS excellent at both cleaning the wheel and cutting down on brake dust.

I suggest you try it.
Old 03-04-06, 04:47 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have any experience with anything that will 'stop dust from sticking', but I do have good luck with doing this:

Every time I wax my car I use the same wax to wax my wheels twice. I wax the wheels, then wax the rest of the car and then the last thing I do is wax the wheels again.

Nothing scientific, but I do find that by doing this, cleaning the wheels each time I wash is a snap!

TripleL
Old 03-04-06, 04:53 PM
tjp
Rookie

Yeah, I tried "Wheel Protectant" by RainX. It was supposed to keep brake dust from accumulating. It had abosolutely no effect. At least the brake dust on the IS doesn't build up as fast my previous BMW. But the IS wheels are a real pain to clean.
Old 03-04-06, 09:41 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

I use cheap Nu Finish car polish on my wheels - it can be found at Walmart or most convenience stores and runs around $5 a bottle. It doesn't slow down brake dust accumulation, but it does make the dust come off much easier.

Being a polish (some have suggested it's actually a type of synthetic wax), it holds up much better than a regular wax.
Old 03-04-06, 09:46 PM
deuce2
Rookie

never tried anything to prevent the break dust, but i use Meguairs Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner to clean the break dust from the wheels...works great...just spray and let sit for 30 seconds..scrub a little with a wheel brush and spray it off with water..hardly even had to scrub it...u can buy it at most auto parts stores.

http://www.meguiars.com/?wheel-care/...-Wheel-Cleaner
Old 04-03-06, 09:07 PM
MAP
Driver School Candidate

S-100 Motorcycle wash has been the best i've found .............spray on hose off.
Old 04-03-06, 09:20 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brake dust. not break dust. jeez
Old 04-04-06, 03:56 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

The stuff I use is called Poorboys Wheel Sealant and it works great. It wont prevent brake dust from sticking to the wheel, but the brake dust will come off if you just spray a bit of water on it and then wipe with a wet MF towel. Very easy to use and apply. Also from what I have read on detailing sites regular wax doesnt work very well because it wont resist the high heat that the wheels generate, and the wheel sealant does.
Old 04-04-06, 07:47 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I put some Z5 scratch filler then some zaino polish on my wheels. I use zaino quick detailer to wipe it off. I like it
Old 04-04-06, 08:56 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

I use the Klasse twins on my wheels and then just wash with gentle car wash soap and rarely have much brake dust issues at all.

Quick Reply: Anybody use Wheel Wax?