Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

windshield is scuffed up, NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06, 01:46 PM
mossnojoke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield is scuffed up, NEED HELP!!

i didnt think is was possible but apparently the last owner of my SC managed to scratch the *beep* out of the windshield. i dont know how he managed to do it but the scuff marks seem like they came from the windshield wipers, they are along that exact path. wether he hasn't ever changed them, or whatever the case might be, im in a bit of a pickle. during the day you can only see very slightly the marks, but at night, any sort of light like other car's headlights, or street lights glare very much, seems like the lights extend vertically along the whole windshield, but when i look at those same lights thru the top of the windshield, or thru the far right side where the wipers dont touch the areas, its crystal clear. ive tried searching the forums but havent found much, only cracked windshields. what can i do? do i need a new windshield? can i polish it? buff it out?

ps - sorry about not posting this in the maintanance folder, but i wanted to see what the fellow SC owners have to say about this, owners of the new RX's and SC 430's, i believe, have some kind of protective layers on the windows, so it different
Old 01-13-06, 02:49 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

If you don't like your scratched up glass, get a new one.

This is not paint where you can hide or "fill in" the scratches. Anything you try to fill in with glass will show. Common sense if you ask me.

Here are your options :
a.) buy a new one
b.) suck it up

If you have the extra money, do it.
Old 01-13-06, 03:19 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

Mine had a dime size chip. I called autoglass & it cost me about $60 to cover that eyesore

I can still see the fixed area but not as obvious as before.

They sucked out the air or something like that & then filled it with some liquid. It took about 15-30 minutes & that was the end of it..

Now a scratched up glass is different. I would change the whole damn front windshield. make sure u save some $$ first hehe...
Old 01-14-06, 07:16 AM
wanted
Driver School Candidate

Xotic - Great feedback. Why even bother replying?

Mossnojoke - there are ways to improve the appearance of glass and you might even be able to see some marked improvement. The first thing you would probably want to do is give it a good cleaning using a standard auto paint claybar. I'm sure you have a lot of embedded dirt and grime especially if it is a vehicle out of the "saltbelt" states. You'll probably even trash the claybar due to the amount of grime. If you have something like a 3M store near you (the one in my area is listed under Auto Care in the phonebook) they have every kind of polishing compound and whatnot that might help. The only problem is that if you're not adept at using a high speed polisher - you might end up with hela swirling - but the 3M guys would know. If the above isn't an option, you might check to see if your state is "no-fault glass" state. In KY if you have any damage to the glass in your vehicle and you carry full coverage - all insurance agencies MUST replace your glass if there is any damage to it at all. It's under one of our safety statutes (but it doesn't cover if your only liability - go figure). Hopefully some of this helps a little. I had the same problem on one of my cars and claying it really helped.