Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do i protect my dash and leather from cracking and fading?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-01, 06:28 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I own a 1995 Lexus ES300 and i live in Texas, what recourse do i have available to me as far as protecting the leather seats and dash and trim from cracking and fading and melting in the hot sun? Do you guys reccomend the Nu Finish car polish over a wax? I already got one of those visors for my windshield and i am getting my windows tinted in a couple of days.

Thank You,

Erfan Afshar
Attached Thumbnails How do i protect my dash and leather from cracking and fading?-lexus_0015.jpg  
Old 08-08-01, 01:59 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Were in the same predicament erfan..

I just got a visor too, it's helping. I tried a bunch of Leather cleaners/conditioners. The cheap turtle wax ones and junk will actually dry out your leather and amke it crack more. Everyone was praising Lexol but I tried the stuff and it seemed like it didn't do anything. I went down to Lexus to ask them about it when I was pickin up my car for somthing else and they sold me on their own "Lexus Leather Cleaner and Conditioner". I guess it's formulated by Lexus for their cars supposedly. Hey, as far as I can tell it's working great! Leather clean, smells good, no more cracking....and is it just me or is it reversing some of the effects of the sun.....is this possible . It's worth a shot, shiz, it costs the same thing as the Lexol.

Oh, and about the nu-care, I asked about this myself and the helpful members of clublex let me know that this stuff is so bad it can void the warranty on some vehicles :eek: !
Old 08-08-01, 02:02 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Default Tanners brand

Hi,

I use the Tanners brand Leather conditioner and it seems to work good, I first prep it with the Leather cleaner and then put the cream on a clean white rag and spread it on.

Thanks

Erfan
Old 08-08-01, 04:46 PM
sur4dude

Default Leather treatment

I have been using Eagle 1 brand cleaner and conditioner. At first I thought it was working great, cleans good, smells great. Then cracks started showing up!!! :eek: The car, a '99 was bought in March of 2000 and cracks are starting. I'm like WTF. I stopped using Eagle immediately. I also noticed that it doesn't clean all that well once the seats started getting dirty.

My cousin said his friend, who owns a car detailing shop uses a good leather cleaner and conditioner. I waiting for him to get back to me on the brand. I might try it too. Hope it'll stop the cracks from getting worse and prevent new ones.

I will also look into the Lexus leather cleaner and conditioner at my local dealer.
Old 08-08-01, 05:07 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Were in the same predicament erfan..

Originally posted by Francis K
Oh, and about the nu-care, I asked about this myself and the helpful members of clublex let me know that this stuff is so bad it can void the warranty on some vehicles :eek: !
Francis,

You mean Nu Finish. I've used it before and although it didn't take an entire weekend to apply like some others and it doesn't give the deepest shine it did bead for a long time and the paint still looked great after several years in the GA sun.

Where did you hear it can void the warranty?

PS. I'm still looking for a non-wax polymer that's better and longer lasting than Nu Finish. I'd love to hear from anyone with alternatives to wax-based products.
Old 08-09-01, 10:02 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default Hey marty....

What's up mango? Let me find the thread......ok.....got it

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=13608

Old 08-09-01, 11:59 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Francis,

Thanks for digging up the thread. I just checked it out.

How shall I say this......uhmmm

I doubt Rro's sources (especially since he doesn't site any).

Hey, I'm not saying this stuff gives a super great shine. It's no competition for the high-shine stuff. But I don't believe it will have any impact on the paint warranty. And it does continue to bead and offer protection to the finish. And that's all I want.

Like I said before, I'm still looking for the once-a-year paint coating. I know there's a polymer out there that can do it. I just haven't found it yet.