Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New car, when should I start washing/waxing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 08:51 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New car, when should I start washing/waxing?

My 2006 GS300 AWD should be arriving anytime next week and I was just wondering when I should wash and wax it for the first time. I heard that it's not good to wash it the first month because it might affect the clearcoat. I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff since it's my first new car. Any ideas, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-13-05, 09:01 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT
My 2006 GS300 AWD should be arriving anytime next week and I was just wondering when I should wash and wax it for the first time. I heard that it's not good to wash it the first month because it might affect the clearcoat. I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff since it's my first new car. Any ideas, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You should wash it, clay it and wax it as soon as you get it home. Also let the dealer know that you do not want them to "deail" it, since the typical dealer's prep shops are horrible.

The reason that you will want to follow these steps is that there will be contaminents on the paint that will be picked up while in transit and you will want to get rid of them. You will not do any harm to the clear coat since it will be fully cured when you get the car. Good Luck.
Old 10-13-05, 10:05 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would defintely do it asap also........
Old 10-13-05, 11:08 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Immediately. I have recently been using Poorboys products and it is great. I use the Poorboys super swirl remover 2.5 and 1 to smooth out the paint, then apply the Menzerna Glaze, then the Poorboys EX sealant followed by the Poorboys Nattys wax. This stuff has given my silver car a shine like never before. I was previously just using NXT wax and Meguiars glaze but the shine with the poorboys products is light years ahead of the NXT products. The poorboys products are very reasonably priced but will still be more than NXT. For a bottle of each of the products I mentioned would probably be around $85 or so plus shipping, but the results are definately worth it. Good luck with your detailing
Old 10-13-05, 02:51 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Immediately. I have recently been using Poorboys products and it is great. I use the Poorboys super swirl remover 2.5 and 1 to smooth out the paint, then apply the Menzerna Glaze, then the Poorboys EX sealant followed by the Poorboys Nattys wax. This stuff has given my silver car a shine like never before. I was previously just using NXT wax and Meguiars glaze but the shine with the poorboys products is light years ahead of the NXT products. The poorboys products are very reasonably priced but will still be more than NXT. For a bottle of each of the products I mentioned would probably be around $85 or so plus shipping, but the results are definately worth it. Good luck with your detailing
PB's has actually gotten pretty expensive, but they're great products.

For his brand new car, SSR2.5 is way to aggressive. Stick with SSR1 for now. It doesn't polish paint, as it does "burnish" the paint. This is where you goss is going to come from.

Check out Autopia.org for all the knowledge you could want.
Old 10-13-05, 07:56 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the tips, everyone. Is Autobarn or Autozone a good place to get detailing supplies? Any other suggestions?
Old 10-13-05, 08:01 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by SGT
Thanks for all the tips, everyone. Is Autobarn or Autozone a good place to get detailing supplies? Any other suggestions?
It depends how serious to wanna get into it. For me, no. I order online. Go to Properautocare.com, AutoGeek.net, DetailersParadise.com, autopia-carcare.com, etc...

But, your local car care place is fine for the normal consumer. Stock up on sheepskin wash mits (not artificial- get real sheep sking mits). NXT or NanoWax are good over-the-counter LSPs.

Like I said, be sure to check out autopia.org.
Old 10-13-05, 11:38 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Like everyone else here said, I would do it ASAP. The dealership is going to detail it anyway, unless you tell them not to.
Old 10-14-05, 07:01 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Just went on a shopping spree at http://autopia-carcare.com and bought the following:

Name Code Qty Each Options
--------------------------------------------------------------------
OXO Autotive Wash Bucket OXO-1059693 1 11.95
Sonus Gloss Shampoo SON-500 2 8.45
Sonus Ultimate Wool Wash SON-WOOLMITT 1 8.95
Mitt
Meguiars Versa-Angle MEG-X-1020 1 8.95
Wheel Face Brush
Meguiars Versa-Angle Tire MEG-X-1010 1 7.95
Brush
Sonus Der Wunder Drying SON-DWDT-2 1 24.00
Towel, Pkg/2
Sonus Der Wunder SON-DWA-2 1 3.45
Applicator, Pkg/2
Klasse ALL-IN-ONE, 33.8 KUS-KLA-33 1 35.20
oz.
Klasse High Gloss Sealant KUS-KLS-33 1 24.64
Glaze, 33.8 oz.
Sonus Der Wunder Buffing SON-DWBT-2 1 12.95
Towel, Pkg/2
Sonus Ultimate Detailing MF-201 1 12.95
Towels, Pkg/2
OXO Detailers Caddy OXO-1059692 1 7.95
Subtotal 175.84
Shipping 12.50
Tax 0.00
Total 188.34

At least I won't have to buy any supplies for a while.

What do you guys think about the quality of those products?
Old 10-14-05, 07:06 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Those are some great products. Good choices.

Tip: don't forget to pick up some detailing clay. I didn't see any in your list. You'll also want a few more sheep skin mits. Go to your local Advanced Auto or similar and they're like $6 a piece. Don't feel wierd to look through them all and only pick the softest ones

You'll find that the Klasse twins will become your best friends. AIO is a great base for any pure sealant or wax. It's great on glass, wheels, and it won't stain plastic trim. SG is tricky to use, but very, very durable.

Don't forget to use the 2-bucket method.

Do you read alot on the autopia.org forums? If not, do so. You'll learn how to properly use all of your new products and about new products you'll undoubtedly want to try.
Old 10-14-05, 07:09 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Appreciate your input. I have an extra bucket here that I'll be using as well. As for the clay, do I really need it since it's a new car? The paint can't be that dirty, can it?
Old 10-14-05, 07:13 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by SGT
Appreciate your input. I have an extra bucket here that I'll be using as well. As for the clay, do I really need it since it's a new car? The paint can't be that dirty, can it?
Most paint contaminants get onto the car when they're being shipped. Since our cars are from Japan, they've crossed an ocean and were probably dragged on a car-carrier or train. So, from the ocean you get salt, and from the trains, you get rail dust.

Put more simply, clay every car before a detail- especially brand new ones. I spot-clay mine each wash.
Old 10-14-05, 07:27 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Most paint contaminants get onto the car when they're being shipped. Since our cars are from Japan, they've crossed an ocean and were probably dragged on a car-carrier or train. So, from the ocean you get salt, and from the trains, you get rail dust.

Put more simply, clay every car before a detail- especially brand new ones. I spot-clay mine each wash.
Good point, I will pick up the clay tomorrow at a local store, along with the California Water Blade.
Old 10-14-05, 07:30 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by SGT
Good point, I will pick up the clay tomorrow at a local store, along with the California Water Blade.
Pick up the clay, leave the water blade.

If, after you wash the car, you leave the tiniest piece of dirt on the paint, drying with the water blade will only drag the dirt across your paint with no where to go. Voila- swirls!

Stick with your Sonus drying towel.
Old 10-14-05, 11:50 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why clay a brand new car it shoulnt need it unless it has fallout or sap or some kind of contaminents on it also like was said earlier the dealer will detail it upon delivery

Quick Reply: New car, when should I start washing/waxing?