Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Griot's Garage

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-01, 05:51 PM
dgangi

OK...here's a question I have been meaning to ask for quite a while. I get a catalog called "Griot's Garage" about once a quarter and it is loaded with lots of really neat stuff. The company also has a web site at www.griotsgarage.com.

Besides the tons of garage and car trinkets the company offers (and if I had an unlimited supply of money and no job you can bet I would have most of that stuff!), they also sell their own line of car care products - wax, polishes, paint cleaners, and the like. Has anybody ever tried this stuff? It is a little on the expensive side and I'm not one for changing habits without referrals, so I haven't purchased any of it. If any of you have had experiences with Griot's Garage car car products (or any of their proprietary products for that matter), please let me know what you thought of them.

Thx...Doug
Old 07-15-01, 01:11 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug,
I don't have experience with Griot's Polish and Waxes (am a Zymol man, myself), but have found their glass cleaner (used with the lint-free disposable towels!) to be great. Have purchased a couple of other minor detailing accessories and found those to work well. Their service is superb.
Old 07-15-01, 01:06 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Good But Expensive

Doug - I, like Bert have found lots of interesting detailing products at Griots - haven't used any of their cleaners as I'm a Zaino man. Nice variety of products too but expensive - they have a hose nozzle for $75!!:eek: The guy who tinted my windows uses the same cleaner that Bert recommends - no ammonia to harm the tint. If ya try anything, be sure & give us some feedback!
Old 07-16-01, 10:57 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Griot's Garage

I swear by their Leather Care Products.
Old 07-16-01, 12:09 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug - Over the years I have actually bought quite a bit of stuff from Griot's. Some of the stuff seems pricey but it is generally very good quality. I tend to get what is not really available anywhere else. There are a lot of comments on waxes and from what I have seen, you really need to start with a good surface. All the waxes, including the Zaino I just tried, produce pretty similar results. Question is how long they last. If you have some damage, like oxidation, it takes something to cut through to fresh paint and smooth things out. A good professional detailer does this all the time and have normally gone through a lot of botched attempts. I have used the Porter Cable random/oscillating polisher and the Griot polishes. Watched a lot of detailers over the years, the best I saw passed away several years ago and while I can't duplicate what a real pro can do, the Porter Cable polisher and the Griot polishes, and some time, can get you a very good prepared surface. It really helps on silver which has a high aluminum content. The Griot microfiber towels are ideal for removing Zaino, which can be tough to get off. Any more questions about specific products, just ask and if I have used them, I will respond. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-01, 11:11 PM
award4

I received their $300 full kit. The products are great and worth the extra money. Hope this helps.