Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

waxing vs polishing

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-05, 04:44 AM
ravengotu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waxing vs polishing

I see some of you use some diffrent named products to keep that new car look. I live in the sacramento area and would like to know how ro get some of these products. I think most of tje regular retail dont perform well or what i really want. any help .........Thanks
Old 08-31-05, 05:07 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

www.zainobros.com

ive used these products for years and am happy with the results.

Tony
Old 09-02-05, 07:43 AM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

meguiars! or turtlewax, both haven't failed me for years
Old 09-02-05, 07:55 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently use Meguire's 3 stage product.
Stage 1 is a paint cleaner. Good if there is any slight oxydation.
Stage 2 is paint polish. Buffs that paint to a nice glossy shine. Adds depth.
Stage 3 is carnuba wax. This is what protects your paint and gives it that great reflectivity!

Kills the heck out of your arm (i don't own an orbital buffer) but it's still worth it!
Old 09-02-05, 08:22 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Beside Meguiar's Deep Crystal Step 1 and step 2, ou can also use Meguiar's ScratchX or ColorX for polishing your finish.

If you want to mail order or buy from a local PBE shop look for Meguiar's #80 polish.

In either case I'd highly recommend Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax for sealing in that new car look.

See my gallery for results.
Old 09-02-05, 08:24 AM
jfelbab

Beside Meguiar's Deep Crystal Step 1 and step 2, ou can also use Meguiar's ScratchX or ColorX for polishing your finish.

If you want to mail order or buy from a local PBE shop look for Meguiar's #80 polish.

In either case I'd highly recommend Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax for sealing in that new car look.

See my gallery for results.
Old 09-02-05, 09:39 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

I purchase most of my detailing products here http://www.properautocare.com/index.html. i invested in a porter cable and it cuts my time almost in half. I'm currently using Menzerna polishes. intensive polish and final polish followed by Menzerna glaze and then Menzerna FMJ polymer wax after all that I seal it up with good ol Meguiars #16 paste wax. I learned form Lou(ikirchner) He also owns black vehicles and reccomended this process for this I owe him.
Be it that you live in Cali you should have easy acces to detailing products since most of them are made out there.
Old 09-02-05, 10:14 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by superpats
I purchase most of my detailing products here http://www.properautocare.com/index.html. i invested in a porter cable and it cuts my time almost in half. I'm currently using Menzerna polishes. intensive polish and final polish followed by Menzerna glaze and then Menzerna FMJ polymer wax after all that I seal it up with good ol Meguiars #16 paste wax. I learned form Lou(ikirchner) He also owns black vehicles and reccomended this process for this I owe him.
Be it that you live in Cali you should have easy acces to detailing products since most of them are made out there.
Unfortunately #16 has been axed due to the EPA's VOC regulations. Apparently the smell of crayons is not allowed. Some supplies can still be found but it is no longer being manufactured.
Old 09-02-05, 10:31 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Unfortunately #16 has been axed due to the EPA's VOC regulations. Apparently the smell of crayons is not allowed. Some supplies can still be found but it is no longer being manufactured.
LOL. Yea I almost crieed when I found this out, but was able to purchase 2 tins from Amazon.com out of all places. So that should last me till ah.................... the rest of my life.
Old 09-02-05, 02:00 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

LOL. Yea I almost crieed when I found this out, but was able to purchase 2 tins from Amazon.com out of all places. So that should last me till ah.................... the rest of my life.
When I heard that #16 was going to be discontinued I went to an auto supply store here in Sacramento, CA and purchased all 10 cans that they had left. Life could not go on without #16.
Old 09-02-05, 02:11 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by lkirchner
When I heard that #16 was going to be discontinued I went to an auto supply store here in Sacramento, CA and purchased all 10 cans that they had left. Life could not go on without #16.
Shhhh! If the CCAB hears that you have over two tins they will be knocking down your door with a SWAT team..
Old 09-02-05, 03:53 PM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lkirchner
Lou u serious? you sick bastard. LOL!!
Old 09-02-05, 08:02 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I use Meguire's Gold class liquid wax but now since the purchase of the GS i went to Driver's Seat and spent 80.00 bucks on a Carnuba wax kit called pinnicle It comes with a jar of wax, sspecial shampoo, bottle of mist wax for quick detail, cleaner wax,and micro towels and sponge... So far so good. I'm happy with the results... but now i'm curious to try the NXT paste
Old 09-03-05, 10:05 AM
Patsfan
Driver

You must have got the last 2.........its only a day later and they are already sold out.

Its funny if you read on Meguiar's Online forum, people are having heart attacks over this.......been using it for 40 years and now its gone.

Any other places online still have it?
Old 09-03-05, 11:49 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Patsfan
You must have got the last 2.........its only a day later and they are already sold out.

Its funny if you read on Meguiar's Online forum, people are having heart attacks over this.......been using it for 40 years and now its gone.

Any other places online still have it?
#16 was pretty popular with boaters so you might check with some marine shops. You could also call a few local Paint and Body shops. If they don't have any ask them where they get their supplies from. I suspect some will be available on eBay.

Yes, #16 is worth the effort looking for. I grabbed two tins when Meguiar's announced the product was being dropped. Since this stuff applies so thinly you can get a good 40-50 applications per tin. No other carnauba I've ever used beads as well and lasts as long as #16.

That said, I am very fond of NXT Tech wax and it is my primary wax these days. I do top NXT with #16 for the winter season.

Quick Reply: waxing vs polishing