Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

wax pros..i need your input.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-05, 10:41 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default wax pros..i need your input.

i have a generic electric buffer that i use on my car with good results. my question is: should i upgrade the buffer and buy a variable buffer? will an increase in speed yield more? my car is mil silver, although i cannot get a shine like black cars i still like the reflectiveness.
Old 07-22-05, 07:02 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
i have a generic electric buffer that i use on my car with good results. my question is: should i upgrade the buffer and buy a variable buffer? will an increase in speed yield more? my car is mil silver, although i cannot get a shine like black cars i still like the reflectiveness.
I'll give my opinion. I've been detailing cars for 45 years so this opinion is developed from my experience with buffers and I've had a bunch.

I think the Porter-Cable 4228/4336 is just about the best all around device on the market. I've got one that has seen heavy use for 10 years now and it shws no signs of age. This device makes detailing 10 times faster than manual. Most cheap generic buffers are not very useful. The variety of pads is limited and the power they bring to bear is also very limited.

There is no comparison.

The PC can be had for around $100 at Lowes.
Old 07-22-05, 11:21 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to agree about the Porter Cable. Read tons of reviews at autopia.org and became sold on the PC. There are some amazing before and after pics there.

I purchased mine from Amazon.com last week. Now I have to buy the correct pads.
Old 07-22-05, 11:33 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

what pads do you think is good? what speed should i use and do i just go over and over again until is shines? can i actually burn the paint?
Old 07-22-05, 03:08 PM
jfelbab

what pads do you think is good? what speed should i use and do i just go over and over again until is shines? can i actually burn the paint?
You will probably need 3-6 pads. I 'd suggest you start with 2-4 polishing pads and 1-2 finishing pads.

When using a polish like Meguiar's #80 or #83 apply a ring of polish to the pad and put it on the paint. Move it around gently to spread the polish in a 2' x2' area then turn on the PC to about 3. Slowly move over the area until the polish is evenly distributed then raise the speed to around 5. Don't go higher than 5. You cannot burn the paint with the PC polisher. Continue covering the area until the polish turns clear and looks just wet. Wipe off any residue with a microfiber and examine the area. If you still see some swirls repeat this again.

When applying a wax, load the pad with a ring and apply just like the polish but keep the speed at 3. It is not necessary to work the wax in. The goal is to spread it evenly across the panel.

Don't mix products with the same pad. If you change product, change your pad.
Old 07-22-05, 07:02 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

wow man. i cant believe it. ive been doing the old karate kid thing. wax on and wax off. so basically youre saying that i can use the same pad for the same product and just use the different speed until the product is clear? just wanna make sure that im doing this right.
Old 07-22-05, 07:24 PM
jfelbab

wow man. i cant believe it. ive been doing the old karate kid thing. wax on and wax off. so basically youre saying that i can use the same pad for the same product and just use the different speed until the product is clear? just wanna make sure that im doing this right.
Look at the Power Polishing video here http://meguiars.com/video/
and this http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mepovi.html
will answer most of your questions.

Basically the polishes I have suggested contain diminishing abrasives. They break down from the heat generated while polishing. As they break down they get finer and finer and eventually you are left with the oils which are clear.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-22-05 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-22-05, 09:52 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

are all porter cable polisher/sander the same?
Old 07-22-05, 10:20 PM
jfelbab

are all porter cable polisher/sander the same?
I can't speak to all PC polishers but the 7424 and the 7336 are identical except for the counterweight. The 7424 has a 5 oz. and the 7336 a 6 oz. Either works as well as the other. Buy either based on price. I've seen the 7336 at Lowe's for under $100.
Old 07-26-05, 06:28 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy pads here http://www.properautocare.com/hi612infopaa.html