Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Tips on preventing rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-05, 04:04 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tips on preventing rock chips

Is there any tips or advice to help prevent rock chips ?
Old 05-10-05, 05:19 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Installing a clear bra or shield is one solution. Check out these 2 places: http://www.xpel.com or http://www.armorglove.com. Although it comes with a hefty price, the clear shield does save your paint job amazingly
Old 05-10-05, 06:40 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's one I've learned;

Don't follow trucks & other cars too closely on the freeways. Most chips occur at higher speeds (which is why secondary roads and sub 50 mph isn't as likely for chips to happen) from the vehicle in front of you spitting pebbles & loose asphalt off their tires at pretty decent rates of speed. Trucks are the worst offenders of flinging small rocks this way because of the dual tires and large contact patches.

The farther back you are the less likely they will hit your car at such speeds and cause a chip. Not to mention you're safer with a good deal of braking distance between you and the guy in front of you.

Common sense, yes, but some may not have considered it. Cheers.
Old 05-11-05, 03:39 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Guitarman is right.

I just got my kit on a month or two ago and I have quite a few chips up front already. I didn't know till I told my bodyshop about it and they were like it's because you follow too close (which I do).
Old 05-11-05, 04:03 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure i'm not the only one who always gets behind the slowest people on the road!
Old 05-11-05, 10:01 AM
aznxteddy
Rookie

i've also had 2 cracks from pebbles or small rocks on my windshield in less than a year.. the first one was bad and the crack spread like crazy... i had the windshield replaced within the week, about a few months a got another crack..this one was small.. and its not spreading and it isnt really in my view.. so i will just leave it for now.. and i've gotten these on this highway where there are no trucks !! i guess its just bad luck
Old 05-11-05, 10:16 AM
Guitarman

Cars will still throw them off, and at highway speeds the farther back you are the less velocity they'll have on impact.

Only problem is, on the Interstate, people stil WILL pass you, so you don't have untimate control over the situation either way. But it'll help some to keep a distance. No panacea though, save for a clear or regular vinyl bra.

My GS bra has saved me from them completely now for over a year. * Keeping fingers crossed*.
Old 05-11-05, 11:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

A bra won't save your windshield, though....or your headlights.
I find the best way to prevent stone chips is to just stay off high-speed and winter-treated roads as much as possible.
Old 05-11-05, 01:19 PM
faiello
Rookie

Yes a clear bra will help to reduce stone chips, but when you get hit by a larger pebble such as I did it will leave a white mark on the clear bra and it looks awful on my black car. Also it does not prevent rock chip on the top of the hood. The GS is so areodynamic that the rock hit everywhere on the car. I have rock chip on the roof and on the hood of my car.
Old 05-12-05, 12:27 AM
JasonC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A bra won't save your windshield, though....or your headlights.
I find the best way to prevent stone chips is to just stay off high-speed and winter-treated roads as much as possible.
You can actually have the clear bra installed on the headlights to prevent sand pitting. I've had it on for years and it's worked great.
Old 05-12-05, 07:34 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

I find that building up coats of wax helps. Soft conditioned paint chips less compared to dry unwaxed paint. I usually throw a coat on about 1 to 2 times a month.
Old 05-12-05, 08:09 AM
Guitarman

The nice thing about living in Florida is that if my windshield gets chipped, it gets replaced free of charge-no deductible. Had that happen right after we bought the car and got a new one put in right away.

And no, our insurance didn't go up. That's REALLY rare!
Old 05-12-05, 10:06 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman
The nice thing about living in Florida is that if my windshield gets chipped, it gets replaced free of charge-no deductible. Had that happen right after we bought the car and got a new one put in right away.

And no, our insurance didn't go up. That's REALLY rare!
We also have the same deal up here in New England. Full glass coverage = $0 deductible and no premium rate change

I remember reading long time ago that it's against the law for insurance companies to change rates as a result of a windshield/glass replacement operating under the pretext of full glass coverage from the customer.
Old 05-12-05, 05:38 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusk8
We also have the same deal up here in New England. Full glass coverage = $0 deductible and no premium rate change

I remember reading long time ago that it's against the law for insurance companies to change rates as a result of a windshield/glass replacement operating under the pretext of full glass coverage from the customer.
It doesn't work like that in this little hick state I call home. You have to buy the windshield yourself. Following faiello I have seen so many Gs's with barely any mileage and have so many rock chips. I have the LS and don't have many at all, just around the grille and one on the top of the hood. One rock flew up and hit the chrome part of the grille and put a dent in it. Tough luck huh?
Old 05-16-05, 07:55 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
It doesn't work like that in this little hick state I call home. You have to buy the windshield yourself. Following faiello I have seen so many Gs's with barely any mileage and have so many rock chips. I have the LS and don't have many at all, just around the grille and one on the top of the hood. One rock flew up and hit the chrome part of the grille and put a dent in it. Tough luck huh?
Did they change the laws? I lived in kentucky for two years (95-97). and the darn gravel trucks and gravel roads were bad. My alstate insurance coverd all glass even my sunroof that got broke by a rock (thank god cause it had leaked like a fire sprinkler system when it rained) I only had liability insurance just to be leagal. (I didnt care about the car it was a beater of a honda) I was told it was state law that all the glass in the car was coverd with no deductable. It was a safety issue. I now live in california again and the insurance wont pay for broken glass unless you we vandilized and you have the coverage for it, with a steep deductable.

Quick Reply: Tips on preventing rock chips