Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-01, 05:29 AM
Hann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm thinking of cleaning my LS400's engine compartment this weekend. I'm not too keen on using a degreaser and hosing down the whole engine as this will be the first time I am cleaning under the hood - would prefer to wipe it down if I can help it. Any suggestions and what would you use? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-01, 07:13 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Hey Hann,

I thought there was a thread in the GS forum about this topic but I couldn't find it. It's back pretty far, but the consensus was that spraying the engine compartment with Simple Green, waiting about 15 minutes and hosing it off would do the job on almost any dirt. No power washer or anything. I was trying to find what you had to cover or diconnect, if anything...anyone else have suggestions???

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Josh

Old 05-22-01, 07:31 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...t=simple+green
Old 05-22-01, 08:45 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I use "Power Clean" (for 5 years)from Auto Zone or Purple from Discount parts. This is strong stuff and it's stronger than Simple Green.

>Let it stand for 2-3 minutes use low pressure or garden hose with nozzle set on low.

>Cover intake, distributor area, fuse box(optional if it is closed good)

>on cruddy spots you may have to apply again or use a brush or some sorts.

>Start car after washing to dry engine bay

>Dress hoses, radiator, caps, vac lines, etc with engine dressing(You can use foam tire dressing, but it has a tendency to attract a little more dust than the engine dressing.)

>Don't forget the under pan of the car, mufflers and the wheel wells.. This needs attention too..

>Make sure this car/engine is cool!!!
Remember: everything you see on this forum is other's opinions and use caution in cleaning/trying techniques...

>Now you have to wax the car to match that clean engine!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 05-22-01, 03:06 PM
bobkon_ls430
Driver School Candidate

I've been using a solution of everyday dishwashing soap and water mixed in spray bottle for years, with very good results.

When the engine is cool, I just spray it on everything under the hood, using a wide spray pattern on the nozzle of the spray bottle. I usually let it sit for about 10 minutes, then hose it off with a low pressure setting. Palmolive Liquid is especially good at cutting through grease.

Once it dries, I apply 303 Protectant to the hoses and black plastic parts. 303 does not attract dust like some of the tire shine products or Armorall. It leaves a nice satinny black finish, not too shiny and not too dull. 303 is one of the best protectants for vinyl and rubber, it has UV blockers that keep the vinyl from losing its natural suppleness from the sun. I used it originally on my boat, then started using it on my cars, and I have never had a cracked dash or upholstery. Its a bit more expensive, but it lives up to its claims.

bobkon_ls430
Old 05-22-01, 04:37 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

My experience.
I usally go to those self wahs places. I use their engine degresers and their high pressure washes.. I use renold rap for my intake cone filter, and distrubitor.I first lower pressure wash it, then I leave the soap on for a couple of minutes, then high pressure it off. I useually use tire dressing to finish it off, and for the next month i clean the engine with a towerl.. this is very good for fender wells and under the car.