Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Show Prep / Detailing Guide & Definitions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07, 11:35 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in getting Zaino complete kit for my GS350 , which is about 8 months old (LS430 is 3 years old), so do I need to clay bar it first?

Please advise, thank you.
Old 09-11-07, 07:46 PM
Oakleystud

I think I've messed up. I used mequires deep crystal car wash then I used mothers clay bar with mothers showtime quick detailer for lubricant then I applied mothers FX synwax sythetic polymer protection. I'm thinking I should have used dawn dishsoap like mentioned above then clay bar then wash it with mequires car wash and then wax it? Have i messed up not washing the car after i used the clay bar? also if i use the dish soap and clay bar again will it take all of the wax off? thanks
Old 09-11-07, 09:20 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Oakleystud
I think I've messed up. I used mequires deep crystal car wash then I used mothers clay bar with mothers showtime quick detailer for lubricant then I applied mothers FX synwax sythetic polymer protection. I'm thinking I should have used dawn dishsoap like mentioned above then clay bar then wash it with mequires car wash and then wax it? Have i messed up not washing the car after i used the clay bar? also if i use the dish soap and clay bar again will it take all of the wax off? thanks
You're fine. The clay will have removed almost anything that was on the paint. IMO, you don't need to use dishwashing soap if you use clay or an abrasive cleaner/polish.

You also don't need to wash the car after using the clay if you used the lube provided and wiped up the residue as you go.

If you do use dishwashing soap now you will compromise the sealant you applied. Dawn does not remove sealant all that well but it does enough to destroy the integrity of the layer of protection.

I usually wash with car wash soap, clay, polish and sealant every quarter. In the weeks in between I wash weekly and maybe monthly apply another coat of sealant to refresh the shine and protection.
Old 09-15-07, 07:05 PM
WessLexIS
Driver School Candidate

Is there any way to remove the wax? Will a claybar bring you back to like square one?
Old 09-15-07, 07:16 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by WessLexIS
Is there any way to remove the wax? Will a claybar bring you back to like square one?
Clay will remove most of the wax and some of the sealant. To get to the point of nothing left on your paint you should apply a paint cleaner or an abrasive polish after the clay.
Old 10-12-07, 08:51 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shaloo
If a car is brand new, what steps should be deleted?? Or another way to ask, at what step in the process can I start if the paint is only a month old???
Personally I would go with ZAINO and still starts from Dawn wash and so on...

I have finally ZAINOed my GS350 this week, it looks amazing!!!

It takes longer than expeced to apply, but it is worth the time and effort!!!

I guess I have done my "workout" for the year!!!
Attached Thumbnails Show Prep / Detailing Guide & Definitions-gs350a.jpg  
Old 11-01-07, 03:25 AM
mzamike
Driver School Candidate

can the exterior steps all be done by hand? i understand that a buffer is better for bringing out a deeper shine and is more effective in applying cleaners/polishes/wax, but i don't feel like shellin out money for a buffer and pads. i just want to restore the shine of my paint...not tryin to achieve a showroom state. thanks.
Old 11-01-07, 06:50 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by mzamike
can the exterior steps all be done by hand? i understand that a buffer is better for bringing out a deeper shine and is more effective in applying cleaners/polishes/wax, but i don't feel like shellin out money for a buffer and pads. i just want to restore the shine of my paint...not tryin to achieve a showroom state. thanks.
Yes for the most part, it can be done by hand. The machine makes things about ten times faster and you won't need BenGay after using it. To remove really bad marring, you will need a machine though if you are a perfectionist.

If you just go with this five step process, I'm sure you will be pleased with the results.

1. Wash with a good car washing soap. (i.e.Meg's Gold Class or NXT Car Wash)
2. Clay the paint, glass and wheels. (Any brand clay kit and lubricant)
3. Clean with a paint cleaner. (Try Meg's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner)
4. Polish with a pure polish or glaze. (Try Meg's Deep Crystal Polish)
5. Wax with your choice of carnauba wax or sealant.

Maintain with regular washing and quick detailer.

If this seems like too much of a chore for your taste skip steps 3-5 and apply a 1 step product like Meg's or Zymol cleaner wax.
Old 11-01-07, 01:40 PM
mzamike
Driver School Candidate

Thanks jfelbab for the shortened version of this process and recommended products for people like me. I think i'll look around for a cheap buffer to make the process easier.
Old 11-12-07, 05:13 PM
supra_trd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you guys get the Meguiars Gold Class Vinyl/Rubber Protectant?
Thanks
Old 11-12-07, 06:21 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by supra_trd
Where did you guys get the Meguiars Gold Class Vinyl/Rubber Protectant?
Thanks
You should be able to find this in an auto supply store or even possibly a K-Mart/Walmart/Target.

If you can't find it locallly and need to mail order it I'd suggest going for the professional version (Meguiar's Vinyl Cleaner/Conditioner #40) instead. It is a clear step up from the GC protectant.
Old 01-09-08, 09:46 PM
pinoy_islander
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Yes for the most part, it can be done by hand. The machine makes things about ten times faster and you won't need BenGay after using it. To remove really bad marring, you will need a machine though if you are a perfectionist.

If you just go with this five step process, I'm sure you will be pleased with the results.

1. Wash with a good car washing soap. (i.e.Meg's Gold Class or NXT Car Wash)
2. Clay the paint, glass and wheels. (Any brand clay kit and lubricant)
3. Clean with a paint cleaner. (Try Meg's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner)
4. Polish with a pure polish or glaze. (Try Meg's Deep Crystal Polish)
5. Wax with your choice of carnauba wax or sealant.

Maintain with regular washing and quick detailer.

If this seems like too much of a chore for your taste skip steps 3-5 and apply a 1 step product like Meg's or Zymol cleaner wax.
Does it matter if i use the paint cleaner first then clay the car? I was looking at a meguiar's tutorial and it said to apply follow this process. What do you think?
Old 01-10-08, 05:49 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by pinoy_islander
Does it matter if i use the paint cleaner first then clay the car? I was looking at a meguiar's tutorial and it said to apply follow this process. What do you think?
In my opinion you want to clay before you use a paint cleaner.

The clay removes the bonded contaminants that are above the level of the paint. The paint cleaner removes those things that are at or below the paint level. Things like stains and stuff embedded in the pores of the paint.

You want to remove the above surface contaminant first. That way the paint cleaner can more effectively reach and remove the stuff below it.

I'm pretty sure the Meguiar's guru on their forum also will suggest this order of cleaning. Do you have a link to that Meguiar's statement suggesting you use a paint cleaner before you clay?

Does it matter? Probably it's not a big deal either way.
Old 01-10-08, 10:13 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent guide! I skipped the Dishwashing part, kind of seemed.... stupid.

Steps taken:

Hosed down the entire car
Washed wheels with Maguires' NXT Generation car wash.
Washed car with Maguires' NXT generation car wash.
Used a squeegee on windows
Clay barred the entire car for a smoother finish. (It's better that you use gloves, keeps your skin oil off of the clay bar!)
Maguires' Paint cleaner step 1. (I let it sit for about 10 minutes)
Maguires' Polish step 2. (I let this sit for about 15-20 minutes)
Maguires' Wax step 3. (I left this sitting for a good hour)
Cleaned glass with Windex
Vacuumed interior
Sprayed Febreeze to kill odors
Cleaned rubber mats
Used Maguires' Wax step 3. (I left this coat on for another 2 hours)

Total time: 5 and a half hours.
Old 01-10-08, 10:43 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dishwashing liquid is to strip old wax off. not necessary unless u got it waxed before.

Quick Reply: Show Prep / Detailing Guide & Definitions