Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What is ECP auto armor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-04, 01:50 PM
bjoraker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is ECP auto armor?

Dealer is pushing this stuff and says it is a PTFE coating for the clear coat paint and lasts years... Did a search on the club lexus forum and not one hit for it.
Searched with Google and found some people who used it for years and love it...
Anyone else know anything about it?
Old 08-16-04, 06:14 AM
bjoraker
Driver

Default What is ECP auto armor?

Posted this originally in another section but appears to be dying on the vine there...
So, I thought I'd try my trusty sc430 forum.

Dealer is pushing this stuff and says it is a PTFE coating for the clear coat paint and lasts years... Did a search on the club lexus forum and not one hit for it.
Searched with Google and found some people who used it for years and love it...
Anyone else know anything about it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
Old 08-16-04, 06:36 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Default Re: What is ECP auto armor?

Originally posted by bjoraker
[B]Posted this originally in another section but appears to be dying on the vine there...
Hold tight, did you read this? Dan's power is out due to hurricane.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=130412

Hopefully Dan will be back online soon. I don't think this stuff is too well known or we'd have other folks chipping in as well.

That stuff looks like a acrylic-based product family like Klasse or Zaino unless I'm looking at the wrong thing. I've never heard of it before though... If its anything like the dealer sells 'add on' like radar detector installs, etc. there is a significant premium attached and you may be better off finding somebody independent.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-16-04 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-16-04, 07:22 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

PolyTetraFluoroEthylene (PTFE) is a fluorocarbon-based polymer. Dupont's Teflon® brand of PTFE is one of the more widely recognised. PTFE bonds at a temperature of 635°F. A chemist at Dupont stated that PTFE adds no benefit to car waxes. You can't heat car paint to 635°F to get PTFE to bond. It does add a lot to the bottom line after the Marketing types have at it. It makes the money flow from your wallet to the company more quickly.

This has been discussed frequently on the Autopia forum and the consensus was that this was just another profit center for the car dealer. No wax type coating will last for years. There have been a few companies that have made that claim in the past and in the bright light of day they have all failed. In the case of this product, I believe it requires the owner to bring the vehicle back regularly for reapplication. It is a revenue stream for the dealer like undercoating. I also believe you can not apply any other wax type product on top of it.

You can do better yourself or at a professional detailer. PTFE products are available for less money on the web if you really buy into this hype. (i.e. 5starshine, Dupont, etc.)

IMO, you can match or exceed the performance of this PTFE product with several off-the-shelf polymers at considerably lower cost.

Last edited by jfelbab; 08-16-04 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-16-04, 08:10 AM
bjoraker
Driver

Thanks for the replies and please excuse my impatience. I mistook the sticky's for posts above mine and thought my post was going to drop off the radar. Will check out the Autopia forums as well. Tried to find a review of the product online with Google, but no dice.
Thanks, again
Old 08-16-04, 08:17 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

FWIW, I dug up this quote from a Dupont chemist that pertains to PTFE.

According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont's Car Care Products, Specialty Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon flouropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon fluoropolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position." Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon¨ is applied at 700 degrees F, it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish." (Source: Grisanti, Stephen, "The Truth About Teflon", Professional Carwashing & Detailing, January, 1989.)

Last edited by jfelbab; 08-16-04 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-16-04, 09:09 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Cool

I have to agree with one of the earlier posts. Nothing is going to last for years on an auto finish. This is one of the high profit items that the dealers push at your "time of weakness" when you are taking delivery of your new ride. All that they are applying is some type of sealant that you can buy and apply yourself in a short period of time at much less the cost of their offering. In addition most dealers do not have the proper detailng staff to do the job right. If you doubt your own abilities, find a GOOD detail shop and let them do it.