Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Armor-All products OK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-04, 07:56 PM
electro992
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Armor-All products OK?

My mom bought some Armorall leather wipes and a exterior spray for use on her LX470. Are these OK to use, or should we be looking for something a little better? Thanks.
Old 06-22-04, 10:02 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know much about that leather product or what it's ingredients are, but maybe you can use it and get back to us with a review. I have read at least one person on another forum say it's a bit greasy, so that would be one point to confirm or deny. I have used the spray wax/sealant product once on my mother-in -law's car (she had bought some and asked me to use it on her car) and it was...ok. I don't know how long the shine or protection lasted. It was easy to use FWIW

Are there better products? ...I'd say yes, only because Armor-All is "consumer grade" stuff, more intended for the avergae Joe rather than the enthusiast that's willing to pay for a bit better quality ingredients and performance. But if they do a good job for you and your mom, I sure won't argue the point.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-04, 11:02 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

armor all makes the leather really shiny and slippery. the thing with armor is that it doesn't really protect your leather. it just makes it feel nice.
Old 06-23-04, 12:14 AM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't ever mention Armor All and Lexus in the same breath/sentence. It will make vinyl shiny and dry it out over time leaving you with heartbreaking cracks in the dash.

Lexus owner do not let other Lexus owners user Armor All.
Old 06-23-04, 07:45 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will make vinyl shiny and dry it out over time leaving you with heartbreaking cracks in the dash.
Well, I do have to bring something to everyone's attention on this. I don't use Armor-All products these days ( I did when I was young as did most of us that are older) but Armor All changed their protectant formula from a dimethyl silicone oil (the greasy kind that has petroleum distillate cleaners, that DID cause rubber and vinyl cracking and caused them lawsuits with tire manufacturers) to a PDMS ( polydimethylsiloxane) water based silicone with no petrol distillates. Thus it WILL NOT crack your dash or leather/vinyl nowadays. Back in the late 80's, they were forced via lawsuits to change from a cheap -to -manufacture product with inferior chemical makeup to a safer (and better quality) protectant.

You may still not like the product(s) but I just wanted to be fair to Armor All since the stuff they've sold in the last decade has been water based, like 303 Aerospace Protectant and Lexol's Vinylex and Meg's #40.

Hard to change people's minds once you sell a bad product though, and that legacy sticks in people's minds because of it, to this day. Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 06-23-04 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-23-04, 02:50 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use Meguiar's #40 Vinyl and Rubber cleaner/conditioner. I used to use 303 but I didn't like the short life and sheen but it has a good following as well.
Old 06-23-04, 03:31 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For the leather, I would HIGHLY recommend Duragloss 221/222 Leather conditioner along with their 441 cleaner. This stuff is great!! Soooo much better than lexol...cheaper too
Old 06-25-04, 01:02 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Guitarman-

Thanks for that update. I found a quart jug of Armoral I bought from the mid-80's...wasn't sure if I wanted to use it. I should have known the stuff was harsh.. Back then, it would dry my hands out when I applied it and extended contact caused a rash. At that age, one doesn't think of it that way.

These days I wear nitrile gloves handling any chemicals related to the household or car.

Last edited by RA40; 06-25-04 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-26-04, 02:39 PM
LexFather

Also, since Armor All is kinda gluey, it makes dirt and dust stick more. I stopped using their stuff about 5 years ago. It did leave a very nice shine though.