Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino's Glass Polish - will it damage SC's windows?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-04, 05:51 PM
PB430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino's Glass Polish - will it damage SC's windows?

Does anybody know if the SC windows have any type of special coating? The Zaino's glass polish I have is not to be used on any sort of treated glass. However, I do have some windshield wiper stains which I could remove using the glass polish.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-04, 08:08 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Zaino's Glass Polish - will it damage SC's windows?

Originally posted by PB430
Does anybody know if the SC windows have any type of special coating? The Zaino's glass polish I have is not to be used on any sort of treated glass. However, I do have some windshield wiper stains which I could remove using the glass polish.

Thanks in advance.
Do you have a SC430 or SC300/400? SC300/400 does not have any special coating. My GS430 only has the rain repell coating for the front side door windows. I had use the Zaino's glass polish in the front windshield with no problems. I believe the SC430 also has the side door windows coated but not the front.

Chu...
Old 06-01-04, 11:14 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I have used the Zaino Glass polish on all of the windows in my SC430 without any problems.

If the side windows have some kind of coating on them to bead water, it is not much effected by the Zaino, especially as the side ridges on the windwhield keep rain water from running onto the side windows.

I used it several times to get all the glue off of the side window from the dealer sticker.

I would not use it on the inside of the rear window because this polish is an abrasive and might harm the defrost wires. For that window I just use my regular glass cleaner (Sprayway) with the top in the half-retracted position.

It's pretty good stuff, especially on the inside, but don't use it more than maybe twice a year.
Old 06-01-04, 12:29 PM
04GS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but here's my question. If Lexus can put that kickass coating on the sidewindows, why not put it on the windshield? Is RainX on the board?
Old 06-02-04, 07:50 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If Lexus can put that kickass coating on the sidewindows, why not put it on the windshield?
I suspect that it's due to the fact that, sooner or later, the abrasive effect of wiper blade plus dust plus bug goo, etc would degrade the performance of the coating. Since it would also not be uniform, streaking would become a problem.

PIAA supplies a glass prep for their SuperSilicones that smells just like RainX (similar solvents, iow). I've used RainX to "recondition" the glass after a few months and my PIAAs still wipe like new and the glass functions just like the rain repellent side windows.