Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Just me an orbital, need help with Klasse

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-04, 10:43 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just got me an orbital, need help with Klasse

Hi, Ive been using Klasse AIO/SG for a while by hand and ive had good results. But I recently purchased one of those cheap 10" Oribtal Buffer/Polisher (Campbell Hausfeld) for polishing my headlights (which turned out awesome by the way), but I would also like to use this on my paint. I have a foam, a sheepskin, and a cotten bonnet. How should I go about Klassing my SC? My paint's in decent coniditon, with some swirls and a little oxididation on some spots of the hood. So any advice for a noob with an orbital buffer?

Thanks

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 05-31-04 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-31-04, 10:09 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found this thread at Autopia for you, if you scroll down there's a post that goes over the application with a Porter Cable orbital polisher. Your orbital is similar in nature enough that you can follow those instructions on applying AIO with you machine. Best of luck!

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...se+aio+machine

( long) P.S. I wouldn't use the sheepskin bonnet for anything but cutting paint ( compounding), as it will leave even more swirls.The reason it'll work ok that way is... You have to use finer polishes after compounding anyway, which will take out the micro scratches and swirls caused by the compounding step with a lambswool bonnet. I have a blended lambswool bonnet I use with my rotary that's labled for "finish polishing and wax" and I can unequivocally tell you it WILL cause swirls when used that way, even though it's specified for that use. My foam pads will not. Let you eye decide if you're unsure.

If you have swirls, I think you'll need to address those with an abrasive swirl remover first, as AIO removes oxidation via solvent cleaners (not abrasives) but will likely NOT remove fine scratches and swirls. You simply need abrasives to do that.

So use your foam bonnet with a swirl remover polish first, then you can apply the AIO with a (clean) foam bonnet or with the cotton bonnet, as long as you don't run the rpm's too fast (might re-introduce swirls with the cotton believe it or not).

I don't even mess with anything but foam pads anymore really, they run hotter on a rotary buffer (you won't need worry about that with an orbital) but they aren't prone to swirl the way wool and terrycloth are, at higher RPMs than your hand provides. Best of luck, AIO is a good product.
Old 06-01-04, 07:17 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you very much, looks like I'll be buying a few more of those foam bonnets. But one more question, should I apply and buff with the foam...and remove by hand/micofiber?

Thanks
Old 06-01-04, 09:56 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yessir

You got it, that's what you'd want to do. I wouldn't recommend anyone remove any product with a machine of any kind, because it's just too easy to re-introdice swirls with something that rotates (concentric orbit or not) especially since you'd have dried powder residue that it's spinning over top of. That dried polish residue in conjunction with the spinning machine is a recipe for swirls.

I agree that you should buy a couple more foam bonnets, that's the way to go. You can use the terry and wool for harsher compounding and when you need to cut paint more. Finishing with foam will help remove the micro-swirls caused by those other bonnets, and the harsher grit compounds and polishes.

Make sense? A hand microfiber towel used in back and forth (straight lines) is best when removing polish or wax. It would be a lot easier using the terry bonnet on the machine, yes, but the price you may pay insn't really worth it. Good luck Aerostar.

Last edited by Guitarman; 06-01-04 at 09:58 AM.