Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

leather

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 06:19 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leather

My leather needs to be cleaned. I have an 01 ultra... as u know it has perforated holes... If i put a liquid cleaner on the leather im afraid it will go inside the leather... Plus is there a specific leather cleaner i should use (maybe meant esp. for Ecru with perf. holes), or should i go for the Lexus leather care products... All input is appreciated

Thanx

Mink92890
Old 04-19-04, 08:59 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

I use the Lexus Leather product and am very pleased. Yes very pricey but worth it. I do believe there are OEM by Meguires.

But still I but it from Lexus.

Jerry
Old 04-20-04, 05:53 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to own a Coach Edition ES300, which has perforated leather seating. I usually applied leather cleaner/conditioner to the seating, and although little liquid gets into the holes of the seating, it never bothered or concerned me. I have Meguiar's Rich leather cleaner/conditioner, and does a fantastic job in keeping the seating of my current ES looking clean and feeling soft.

Other good leather cleaner products include Lexol, Zaino, and Leatherique. Stay away from Armor-All if you can; they're known to leave behind a greasy residue in all their products.
Old 04-20-04, 06:12 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Agreed lexusk8, Armour All will make you slip & slide if you take a quick corner & you might end up in the passenger seat of hanging out the drivers window.....they should use that stuff on surfboards, that's where they need em lol.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 04-20-04 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-20-04, 09:06 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexus leather is provided by:

GST Auto Leather (http://www.gstautoleather.com/default.asp)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=115497

They happen to also make the Lexus brand leather conditioner (it's lanolin based). I've used the Lexus brand conditioner and I can say that it works excellently--better than the leather conditioners by Meguiar's, Eagle, and Lexol.
Old 04-20-04, 02:02 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

thanx for the info... SeattleGS400, where can u purchase the conditioner made be GST auto leather...Can u only buy it from the dealer, or can u get it from GST auto leather directly... If u can get it from them it will probly be cheaper than if u have to get it from the dealer (markup's, etc.)... Does it work well, my seat is starting to turn black, can this product remove it. if not could u tell me some product that will remove the black...

Thanx

Mink92890
Old 04-20-04, 02:19 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Originally posted by mink92890
thanx for the info... SeattleGS400, where can u purchase the conditioner made be GST auto leather...Can u only buy it from the dealer, or can u get it from GST auto leather directly... If u can get it from them it will probly be cheaper than if u have to get it from the dealer (markup's, etc.)... Does it work well, my seat is starting to turn black, can this product remove it. if not could u tell me some product that will remove the black...

Thanx

Mink92890
You have to buy the Lexus leather condition from the Lexus dealer. It's about $9 for an 8 oz. bottle or $14 for a 16 oz. bottle. As my car has black leather, cleaning it isn't too much of an issue--I first vacuum the panels thoroughly (with a soft brush attachment or very vacuum carefully if you don't have a soft brush attachment, as you can scratch the leather with a hard attachment), then just wipe the leather with a warm/hot, damp terrry cloth before I apply the leather conditioner to all of the leather, wait 5-10 minutes, then follow-up with a dry, clean terry cloth to remove the exces conditioner that I applied. The Lexus brand leather conditioner works great on my car.

There is a Lexus leather cleaner, but I don't how much it costs, but it's probably similar in pricing as the conditioner. For lighter color leather as you have, I would look into using the cleaner before using the conditioner. That is, after you vacuum, and wipe the seats with a warm/hot, damp terry cloth, spray the leather cleaner onto a clean terry cloth and wipe small sections of leather until the dirt and grime is out. Then follow-up with another damp, clean terry cloth over the cleaner-applied portions. Once the panels dry up, make sure that you follow-up w/ the leather conditioner as the cleaner will leave your leather a little dry.

Good luck!

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 04-20-04 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 04:47 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

thanx so much for ur help... The driver seat looks so horrible, esp. because the leather on the other seats r like perfect. will it be cheaper in lexus-parts, or will it be better (cheaper) if i get it from the dealer

Mink92890
Old 04-20-04, 04:49 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

It's cheaper from the local dealer, as you won't have to pay for shipping costs. However, if you're buying other things for your car, then I'd order from the internet sources.
Old 04-20-04, 07:44 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The "care tag" attached to the the passenger seat when I bought my '03 LS new says the following:

"When removing stains or dirt: Do not use solvents such as thinner, gasoline, or acid or alkaline solution, as these may cause discoloration and/or staining"

"How to remove dirt: 1) Remove dirt using a soft cloth dampened with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool. 2) Wipe off traces of detergent with a clean, damp cloth. 3) Wipe off moisture with a dry soft cloth, then allow to dry in a ventilated, shaded area. NOTE: If stain should fail to come out with a neutral detergent, apply a cleaner without containing an organic solvent."

Just thought I would share this as most probably have never seen the tag or else threw it out shortly after taking delivery. The thinner/gasoline thing is probably obvious but the 5% wool detergent isn't. It works very well and is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying cleaner from Lexus (which probably is the same thing)
Old 04-21-04, 09:05 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Woolite & water mix has been recommended by some manufacturers,.in their owner's manuals, for years now (Cadillac etc.) and there are a lot of people at Autopia using it on their leather too. Very gentle, yet effective on light soil. You can vary the concentration for heavier dirt, but usually 6:1 works fine (6 parts water 1part Woolite)
Old 04-21-04, 09:23 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

LS430inTX and Guitarman:

Good info
Old 04-24-04, 10:21 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lexol is the best conditioner for your seats
Old 04-25-04, 04:07 AM
mink92890
Lead Lap

i place an order on lexus-parts for the leather care and conditioner. I used my Clublexus discount !
hopefully it should come by tuesday! i figured u can't go wrong with cleaner made by the maker of the leather. Thanx for ur guys feedback...

Mink92890
Old 05-06-04, 06:11 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Question, After reading thru all the archives, I read that alot of people use different leather conditioners, from Zaino, Lexol, Lexus brand and others.

I bought the Zaino leather in a bottle and bought the Lexus leather conditioner.

Question are both safe?

The Zaino smells better-like real leather smell.
The Lexus bottle smells more like coconuts.

I'd rather use the Zaino but don't know if it's safe for Lexus leather.

Quick Reply: leather