Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 08:58 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by codex57
So I use regular Woolite fabric detergent? That's the only Woolite I'm aware of. What's the ratio I should mix with water? Thanks.
If I remember correctly it states it on the bottle.
Old 12-12-07, 09:44 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just the regular Woolite fabric detergent stuff? Thanks. I've used it before but never knew it could be used other than in a washing machine. Interesting.
Old 01-07-08, 02:15 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best leather care to buy is from Lexus. They sell the cleaner, conditioner and vinyl spray (without gloss effect like armour all) for about $9.00 per bottle. I have used everything their is, and Meguirs is also a good product. Typically, the thicker pasty type conditioners are the best.
Old 01-07-08, 03:31 PM
DetailMan
Driver

Originally Posted by Brian231
The best leather care to buy is from Lexus. They sell the cleaner, conditioner and vinyl spray (without gloss effect like armour all) for about $9.00 per bottle. I have used everything their is, and Meguirs is also a good product. Typically, the thicker pasty type conditioners are the best.
Have you used Leather Master or Leatherique?
Old 02-18-08, 04:24 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I used Mcguiars (sp?) leather cleaner/conditioner -- And it worked well. I don't mind a bit of shine.. Though it flattened out after 30mins or so. I have darker leather (dark gray).. so dirt is somewhat difficult to discern.. (which is a good thing for looks, bad thing for trying to be super 'clean').

Anyhow, as I think about it.. Wouldn't one of the best solutions to leather care be sort of an out of the box idea:

Care for leather via Tinting the windows?

Seems like that would protect the leather from UV immensely.
Old 03-05-08, 04:45 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an SC430 with the Ecru interior that's very light & the leather has not been cared for very well. I'd like to get it as clean as possible before using a conditioner. I know a detail guy that uses a degreaser, sprays it on a cleaning rag and wipes the leather down really hard to clean it..... is this a good method? Or should I use a different product & method to just clean the leather?
Old 03-14-08, 07:09 PM
stvn
Pole Position

i just used some woolite (6:1) on the leather, meguires quik interior detailer on the dash and side panels, and then protected everything with 303. it looks really clean and it has a slight sheen to it.
Old 04-13-08, 11:08 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo300
I've got an SC430 with the Ecru interior that's very light & the leather has not been cared for very well. I'd like to get it as clean as possible before using a conditioner. I know a detail guy that uses a degreaser, sprays it on a cleaning rag and wipes the leather down really hard to clean it..... is this a good method? Or should I use a different product & method to just clean the leather?
i would think the degreaser could break down the leather's clearcoat. personally, i'd try woollite and water first.
Old 04-18-08, 07:51 AM
Russ G
Driver

Why use a degreaser or clothes detergent when there are products created for leather? Sounds penny wise and dollar foolish. This stuff works for me and the kit I bought has lasted a long time.
http://***********.com/leathercarekit.html
Old 04-18-08, 08:17 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ G
Why use a degreaser or clothes detergent when there are products created for leather? Sounds penny wise and dollar foolish. This stuff works for me and the kit I bought has lasted a long time.
http://***********.com/leathercarekit.html
Because the woolite is a better product and does a better job. You have coated leather. If you had plastic coated wood you would clean it with a plastic cleaner not a wood product. Same deal here. You also need a good UV protector after you clean your leather with woolite. You could also continue to cover your plastic coated leather with leather conditioner. I bet it then ends up in your clothes and then you could use the woolite to clean it out of your clothes
Old 04-18-08, 08:32 AM
Russ G
Driver

Interesting perspective.

Last edited by Russ G; 05-14-08 at 12:28 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old 04-18-08, 08:46 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ G
Interesting perspective. I am not a leather expert. Is our leather coated in fabric, and that is why you suggest Woolite fabric cleaner?
Because it is a product that fits what Lexus recommends in the owners manual.

Remove dirt on the leather in the following ways:
1. Wipe it off lightly using a soft cloth (e.g. gauze) dampened
with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool.
Woolite is a neutral detergent for wool.
Old 05-20-08, 09:12 AM
sokoyoo
Driver School Candidate

I am new to leather care,I just ordered the zaino Z9 cleaner for my 03GS300. was going to order the Z10 conditoner but some one mentioned that it has a strong smell that wont go away. I have serious sinus issues and cannot stand strong smells (me old lady complains she cant have candles in the house ). Does lexol have a less stringer smell. or are there other conditioners. Also read not to use the cleaner/conditioner products. My seats need some work so will prefere the two products separate.
another silly question, do you apply these products to the dash and doors too?
Old 05-20-08, 02:24 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sokoyoo
I am new to leather care,I just ordered the zaino Z9 cleaner for my 03GS300. was going to order the Z10 conditoner but some one mentioned that it has a strong smell that wont go away. I have serious sinus issues and cannot stand strong smells (me old lady complains she cant have candles in the house ). Does lexol have a less stringer smell. or are there other conditioners. Also read not to use the cleaner/conditioner products. My seats need some work so will prefere the two products separate.
another silly question, do you apply these products to the dash and doors too?
I've used both and find the Z10 odor to be rather strong for a few days. It does dissipate though. Now when it comes to my preferred leather cleaner and conditioner I would pick the Lexus branded separate products over either of those you mentioned. The Lexus stuff works very well and has little odor. Surprisingly, it is not all that expensive either. It is supplied to Lexus by the manufacturer of the leather used in your vehicle.
Old 05-21-08, 01:53 PM
sokoyoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I've used both and find the Z10 odor to be rather strong for a few days. It does dissipate though. Now when it comes to my preferred leather cleaner and conditioner I would pick the Lexus branded separate products over either of those you mentioned. The Lexus stuff works very well and has little odor. Surprisingly, it is not all that expensive either. It is supplied to Lexus by the manufacturer of the leather used in your vehicle.
Thanks jfelbab. Have the Z9 coming for cleaning and yesterday got LEXOL leather conditioner from ACE hardware. will clean my leather this weekend

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather