Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 10:08 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
Do all newer lexus' have this plastic coating on the leather? My car sits in the sun almost everyday and it would be nice to protect it...
Yes they all have it. All you need to do is put a good UV protector on it and clean it every once in awhile with woolite and water. If you try and treat it its kind of like spreading the stuff on a plastic coated table. It is possible to treat it around the stitching but really a waste of time.
Old 08-19-07, 02:11 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let it be known that ALL car manufaturers use a clear poly coating on their leather unless they have an analine or semi-analine option (high end cars for the most part-some LS430s have the latter).

Also realize, they added it for a reason, not the least of which is their warranty. Otherwise, sweat and the corresponding salt, friction from sliding in / out and belts, dirt and UV would attack the leather, and because most all leather is spray dyed (rather than vat dyed) the color would rub away under friction much quicker, which does happen when you accidently remove the clear poly coating via abrasives or harsh cleaners.

That coating, as much distain as it recieves, is generally a good thing that allows the seats to look good, with less care, than otherwise would be the case.

It just requires a different approach to care for it, and to understand it.

The following users liked this post:
bill5 (02-14-17)
Old 08-22-07, 06:18 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

The Zaino leather cleaner doesn't have a reputation of being harsh. It worked exceedingly well and made an otherwise difficult cleaning job very simple and much faster. Had I tried to do the same with Lexol, I would have needed to do some vigorous and prolonged scrubbing which would have caused mechanical abrasion. The more rapid and easy Zaino cleaner was probably the better choice.
Old 09-03-07, 01:17 AM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 GS coated or uncoated seats

On my 2001 GS is was evident that the seats were coated because there was a shine and slickness to the seats. On my new '06 GS the seats have a dull, rough look and feel to them which makes me think they are uncoated but I really wouldn't know.

Can anyone tell me if the 2006 GS seats are coated or un-coated?

Thanks
Old 09-15-07, 09:04 PM
jcsmith79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 LS430 107,000 miles a dark spot showed up on the arm rest , I tried to clean it but the spot just got bigger. Leather is ecru and spot is light gray. Have I just worn through the dye into bare leather. i wasn't rubbing hard is their an easy to fix it??? thanks
Old 09-16-07, 08:03 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsmith79
I have a 2001 LS430 107,000 miles a dark spot showed up on the arm rest , I tried to clean it but the spot just got bigger. Leather is ecru and spot is light gray. Have I just worn through the dye into bare leather. i wasn't rubbing hard is their an easy to fix it??? thanks
I believe you nailed the problem. The coating is gone. You can have the area recoated which is what I'd do. That area would bug me every time I got into the car. Go to a leather expert and have it repaired right.

You might also re-evalate your leather cleaning process and products. If the coating is gone there it is likely thin in other places.
Old 10-01-07, 04:37 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
Several months ago, we put Leatherique dual bottle system on cream colored leather seats , you could tell there was dirt in the creases, but the leather was not in terrible condition. However, the back of the rear seat, where the seat is in direct contact with the sun showed very dried leather. The leather was almost starting to flake. In the last 6 months, we have used a total of 3 applications of Leatherique. (the last one was not necessary).
On the top of the rear seat, we "slathered" the conditioner and then placed Saran Wrap (clear plastic kitchen wrap) over the leather to keep the Leatherique in direct contact without drying out. I left a towel covering the back . We left this in place for about 3 weeks.
That was around 5 months ago. It has been out in the sun and unprotected since then.
I went out there after re-reading the this thread.
If I had to describe the softness of the seats today, I would say that the Front seats are soft and supple (like new) and the rear (previously flaky area) is soft.
In addition, the seats smell more like leather.
I dont represent Leatherique, but the stuff works.
Expensive?......How expensive is replacing the leather covers.
I think its worth it. Its not the typical stuff you find in a Pep Boys.
Honesty, If you buy a used Lexus that has never been treated to proper leather care. Go with Leatherique.
IF you have a new Lexus, frequent applications of the typically recommended stuff you find in stores will probably prevent degradation.
Just sharing my experience.
I also like how the Leatherique worked for me on newer and pretty clean leather as I don't scudze it up in the summer, I use some towels to keep sweat off, but it was getting stiff. The leather seemed a lot softer and cleaner without much odor some other cleaners have. Same here, no affiliation with Leatherique. Not sure they still make it, I bought it a couple or few years ago and never used it till now.
Old 12-12-07, 12:24 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Has any one else seen your blue jeans color gets stained on your tan interior. well i have and it sucks.. my friend has the same problem with his 5 series but he leases and he doesnt really car ....but i plan on keeping my is350 for a while... any suggestion guys??? shall i only wear slacks?? no jeans?
Old 12-12-07, 06:05 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

FWIW, I've been told by my better half that if you wash your jeans in a heavy brine (salt) solution it sets the color and they should not transfer color anymore.

For removing the stains, I'd try a premium leather cleaner with a soft bristle brush. I don't think the stains can be completely removed. You might also try the Magic Eraser with soft gentle strokes as this is quite abrasive and your leather contains a thin paint like coating. Once you remove the coating and expose the leather underneath you are sol.

Best bet is to get to like khakis.
Old 12-12-07, 09:37 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

FWIW, I've been told by my better half that if you wash your jeans in a heavy brine (salt) solution it sets the color and they should not transfer color anymore.

even jeans that have the dye in them like bleach jeans ...forexample like diesel jeans and 7 jeans???
Old 12-12-07, 05:03 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

How do you deal with semi-aniline leather?
Old 12-12-07, 07:34 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by codex57
How do you deal with semi-aniline leather?
Just clean it with woolite deluted with water. It will not absorb any leather conditioner any more then the paint on your car. after you clean it cover it with a good UV protector and your done.
Old 12-12-07, 08:36 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by Max707
Just clean it with woolite deluted with water. It will not absorb any leather conditioner any more then the paint on your car. after you clean it cover it with a good UV protector and your done.
What's a good UV protector? Lexol or one of the brands mentioned have some? Or will the Lexus stuff work?
Old 12-12-07, 08:39 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by codex57
What's a good UV protector? Lexol or one of the brands mentioned have some? Or will the Lexus stuff work?
Just go to a auto parts store and read some labels. A UV protector is the same stuff you use on the plastic trim.
Old 12-12-07, 08:56 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

So I use regular Woolite fabric detergent? That's the only Woolite I'm aware of. What's the ratio I should mix with water? Thanks.

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather