Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 11:25 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by utee05
Just became an owner of a brand new rx350 with black interior. I am paranoid about keeping the leather clean and conditioned to avoid cracking and whatnot, especially in the Texas heat.

Looks like I will need to get me some LM cleaner and protection cream.

What are some suggestions to use on the doors and dash?
I am happy with Meg's Quik Interior Detailer. It adds no gloss/glare and has UV protection. Many love 303 aerospace protectant as it has a lot of UV protection. I don't care for it due to the added gloss and the odor. There must be 50 different vinyl dressing products on the market so find one you like and use it regularly. Keep in mind that anything that adds gloss to the dash will cause visibility issues. Another consideration is whether the product you use will outgas in the heat and film up your glass.
Old 10-15-13, 12:07 PM
utee05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thannks for the rec on the meguiars. I normally use their products for car care.
Old 10-22-13, 09:45 PM
utee05
Driver School Candidate

Sorry if already posted but where does everyone get the LM cleaner and protection cream?
Old 10-23-13, 04:59 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by utee05
Sorry if already posted but where does everyone get the LM cleaner and protection cream?
One source is a sponsor here on CL, Autogeek.net. Try this direct link for all Leather Master's products they carry: http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-auto-care.html
Old 11-16-13, 06:58 PM
510to808
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BertL
One source is a sponsor here on CL, Autogeek.net. Try this direct link for all Leather Master's products they carry: http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-auto-care.html
Just wondering if anyone has tried meiguiars leather wipes found them at orielys just wondering how is it, should I not use it,etc. my leather is pretty nice just wanted a better smell
Old 12-11-13, 12:25 PM
Bimmer2Lex
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

I have a '12 IS 250 with "Perforated Semi-Aniline Leather Seat Trim", and was planning on following the cleaning method outlined by jfelbab here - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8143059-post11.html

He suggests using a 50/50 solution of Leather Master Cleaner + Water.

I purchased LM Cleaner and the bottle says not to use on aniline leather.

Is it safe to use LM Cleaner on my leather?
Old 12-11-13, 03:03 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Bimmer2Lex
Hello,

I have a '12 IS 250 with "Perforated Semi-Aniline Leather Seat Trim", and was planning on following the cleaning method outlined by jfelbab here - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8143059-post11.html

He suggests using a 50/50 solution of Leather Master Cleaner + Water.

I purchased LM Cleaner and the bottle says not to use on aniline leather.

Is it safe to use LM Cleaner on my leather?
Are you sure you haven't misread that Leather Masters label?

With any product, however, it is wise to test it in a hidden spot.

From my Leather Masters bottle label.
"STRONG CLEANER is a water-based cleaner having twice the active cleaning ingredients of SOFT CLEANER. It can be used on all leather types and will not affect the leathers original properties or finish."

Here is a link to the Leather Masters supplier on these cleaners:
SOFT CLEANER: http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Prod...er__LMSOC.aspx
STRONG CLEANER: http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Prod...ner__LMSC.aspx

If you have any question regarding their use, please feel free to ask.
Old 12-12-13, 12:11 AM
Bimmer2Lex
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for the reply and links

I have a completely different product I think? I bought this Strong Leather Cleaner from AG (http://www.autogeek.net/strong-leather-cleaner.html).

The back of mine reads, "Leather Cleaner is a concentrated Cleaner for resistant upholstery leather, especially the car seats, airline seats or other pigmented leathers, and resistant shoe or handbag leather. Do not use on aniline leather, nubuck or suede."

The front of my bottle only says "Leather Cleaner" and not "Strong Leather Cleaner".

I tried searching for the leather cleaner I have on LM's website and don't see it on there?

Did AG send me the wrong product? Is LM distributing different leather cleaners under the "Strong Leather Cleaner" name? I figured all the Strong Leather Cleaners from the same company would be the same?

Who knew leather cleaning products could get so complicated lol
Old 12-12-13, 07:18 AM
jfelbab

Thank you very much for the reply and links

I have a completely different product I think? I bought this Strong Leather Cleaner from AG (http://www.autogeek.net/strong-leather-cleaner.html).

The back of mine reads, "Leather Cleaner is a concentrated Cleaner for resistant upholstery leather, especially the car seats, airline seats or other pigmented leathers, and resistant shoe or handbag leather. Do not use on aniline leather, nubuck or suede."

The front of my bottle only says "Leather Cleaner" and not "Strong Leather Cleaner".

I tried searching for the leather cleaner I have on LM's website and don't see it on there?

Did AG send me the wrong product? Is LM distributing different leather cleaners under the "Strong Leather Cleaner" name? I figured all the Strong Leather Cleaners from the same company would be the same?

Who knew leather cleaning products could get so complicated lol
I hadn't noticed that product either. I too would expect it to contain the same contents if it carries the same name. It may or may not be the same. None-the-less, you have semi-aniline leather which is classified as protected leather so this product should be fine.

Leather types:
Aniline leather is dyed leather with no topcoat. Semi-aniline leather is dyed leather with a thin transparent topcoat. Pigmented leather is pigment painted leather with a topcoat.

In simpler terms say you were to stain your deck. If you used a transparent stain that let the wood grain and knots show through, it would be similar to aniline. If you put a clear coat over this it would be like semi-analine. If you used an opaque deck paint that covered up most of the grain and knots and then added a clear coat it would be like pigmented.

Have at it, but like I mentioned earlier, always test any product in an inconspicuous area first.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-12-13 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-12-13, 12:47 PM
Bimmer2Lex
Driver School Candidate

Understood regarding the analogy & thank you for pointing out the semi-aniline does indeed have that topcoat.

Questions (plural ha!) -
In your write up you say to use a foam applicator for the cleaning. What type of applicator would you suggest?

Could I use a microfiber interior towel instead?

Whether I use a microfiber towel or foam applicator, is this the optimal way to safely clean perforated leather?

Would a soft paint brush be a good option for agitating the leather and getting into the perforated holes?

My concern is I want the leather to be as clean as possible, but do not want to damage the topcoat at the same time. Also do not want cleaner "dripping" through the holes and damaging the fans / electronics within the seats.

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by Bimmer2Lex; 12-12-13 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-12-13, 02:34 PM
jfelbab

Understood regarding the analogy & thank you for pointing out the semi-aniline does indeed have that topcoat.

Questions (plural ha!) -
In your write up you say to use a foam applicator for the cleaning. What type of applicator would you suggest?

Could I use a microfiber interior towel instead?

Whether I use a microfiber towel or foam applicator, is this the optimal way to safely clean perforated leather?

Would a soft paint brush be a good option for agitating the leather and getting into the perforated holes?

My concern is I want the leather to be as clean as possible, but do not want to damage the topcoat at the same time. Also do not want cleaner "dripping" through the holes and damaging the fans / electronics within the seats.

Thanks again for all your help!
I use a soft foam applicator. The foam pad is ideal for generating a lot of thick foam from the cleaner. A MF towel just won't do that. A MF, depending on the quality and amount of pressure applied, could also be overly abrasive to the leather. The paint brush is likely not good for foam generation and my not provide adequate abrasion. I think a foam pad is the best tool for this purpose. It easily generates the thick foamy mix and supplies just the right degree of agitation.

You do need to make that chemical cleaner into thick foam to be effective and allow for a longer dwell time. This same thick foam also makes for a dryer cleaner so that a lot of liquid doesn't get past the perforations in the leather as you recognize could be an issue down the road..

I personally prefer to use white 100% cotton toweling on leather for wipe-up. Cotton is less abrasive than MF and if you use a white towel you can see if the cleaning solution is removing any soiling when you wipe up the residue.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-12-13 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 02:11 PM
Bimmer2Lex
Driver School Candidate

I cleaned the leather today with the regular leather cleaner from AG. I pumped it directly onto the soft foam applicator..then applied to the seats and agitated. However, once it was on the seat, it wasn't very foamy. I let it dwell for about a minute, and then wiped up w/ a white towel. I didn't notice much grime coming up so I guess that's good, or maybe could be because I didn't have hot water combined with "Strong" cleaner?

I came back about 10-15 minutes and applied the LM Protection Cream, and let that sit for about 10 minutes then buffed off.

The leather feels cleaner and softer now, so I'm happy with the results for now.

When this product finishes though, I'm going to order the Strong Cleaner..I think the heat element with the strong cleaner may do a better job.

Nonetheless, thank you very much jfelbab for all of your help! The leather feels great!
Old 12-16-13, 05:32 AM
Jarhead
Driver School Candidate

Default Why not use the products Lexus sells?

It's been a long time since I have read through this entire thread but allow me to ask the obvious:

Is there a specific reason why we all don't just use the products our Lexus dealers sell for treating Lexus seats?

Bad reputation? Too expensive?

One _would_ think that the manufacturer ought to know best what works best on the leather seats in their vehicles.

Just asking.
Old 12-16-13, 06:22 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Jarhead
It's been a long time since I have read through this entire thread but allow me to ask the obvious:

Is there a specific reason why we all don't just use the products our Lexus dealers sell for treating Lexus seats?

Bad reputation? Too expensive?

One _would_ think that the manufacturer ought to know best what works best on the leather seats in their vehicles.

Just asking.

What does the manufacturer actually recommend for your leather care?

From the owners manual:

■ Caring for leather areas
● Lexus recommends cleaning the interior of the vehicle at least twice a year to maintain the quality of the vehicle’s interior.

■ Cleaning the leather areas
● Remove dirt and dust using a vacuum cleaner.
● Wipe any excess dirt and dust with a soft cloth dampened with diluted detergent. Use a diluted water solution of approximately 5% neutral wool detergent.
● Wring out any excess water from the cloth and thoroughly wipe off all remaining traces of detergent.
● Wipe the surface with a dry, soft cloth to remove any remaining moisture. Allow the leather to dry in a shaded and ventilated area.

■ Cleaning the synthetic leather areas
● Remove loose dirt using a vacuum cleaner.
● Apply a mild soap solution to the synthetic leather using a sponge or soft cloth.
● Allow the solution to soak in for a few minutes. Remove the dirt and wipe off the solution with a clean, damp cloth.

So as you see, the manufacturer doesn't recommend anything, aside from cleaning using a Woolite like detergent, in their owners manual. OTOH, dealers will recommend anything that makes the dealership more money. Think extended warranty plans, paint protection plans, interior protection plans, etc., etc. Just because a Lexus dealership sells a product doesn't mean that Lexus corporate endorses or even recommends it.

The leather products sold by Lexus under their label are rebadged consumer products. Likely from the same source as those sold at Chevy, Ford, Chrysler and many other automotive dealerships under their respective badges. You most assuredly can buy these same products at an auto supply store under another, perhaps very familiar, label (for likely half the cost).

The reason I use particular, non-Lexus, branded products on my leather is that I have been caring for leather for several decades and have used countless scores of products and found those that work exceptionally well for me. In a nutshell, the products I use yield superior performance.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-16-13 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-16-13, 03:23 PM
2jzalex88
Driver School Candidate

I use Lexol in my 2002 IS300, and for its age it is in great shape, no rips or major cracks... but somewhere a while back, i read that the Leather in Lexus cars ( at least in my production year) was not "real leather" but more a vinyl.. can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather