Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Lexus Leather VS Mercedes Leather

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 06:56 PM
kwc_diesel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lexus Leather VS Mercedes Leather

Greetings CL ES Crew!

This thread goes out to anyone who knows about leather interiors. Lexus leather seems really dry and soft, but Mercedes and BMW have more thicker waxy coat leather. Anyone know the durability comparison between them? FYI I've started to notice slight creasing on my 1 year old ES. I've been using the Lexus Cleaner and Conditioner and it seems to maintain the interior well. How often is recommended?

Regards,
Ken
Old 01-23-04, 09:09 PM
LexFather

I use Lexol, apply with my hands. Putting the leather cleaner/conditioner in a towel let's the towel absorb all the vitamins and good stuff.

Yes, Benz's and BMWs use good leather, Lexus has continuously improved their leather (they never had cheap plastic leather like in a Kia, Acura, SUV, etc). I'm moving to our detailing section for more help.
Old 01-24-04, 07:10 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default leather

I had a benz and I have friends with them. Although benzo's have reliability problems, their leather is unquestionably fantastic. Almost indestuctable. I never had to do anything to it. Never conditioned it, only an ocassional wet sponge wipe. The leather on my two lexus cars needs regular attention to maintain that new look.
Old 01-24-04, 04:58 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: leather

Originally posted by reggiek
I had a benz and I have friends with them. Although benzo's have reliability problems, their leather is unquestionably fantastic. Almost indestuctable. I never had to do anything to it. Never conditioned it, only an ocassional wet sponge wipe. The leather on my two lexus cars needs regular attention to maintain that new look.
true, i used to have a older Benz, the leather was in great shape.
Old 01-24-04, 06:00 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many of the older Mercedes' cars (not saying yours was nthach, may have indeed been leather ) were in fact what Mercedes called "MB Tex" which was in reality a vinyl. Held up real well of course. I recall a lot of people complaining back in the 1970's and 1980's about paying big bucks for the 3 pointed star and still not getting leather standard.

That would kinda stink I guess.

Old 01-24-04, 06:24 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a link ; http://interior.articles.mbz.org/seats/ with info on the MB Tex. It was used in *most* older Mercedes cars according to this Merc restoration site ( even still used in some of them up till 1994), and here's an excerpt from the page;

MB-Tex is what most MB's came with prior to about 1980. The stuff was just everywhere - and for good reason. This ain't the vinyl from your fathers Oldsmobile, it's increadably durable, long lasting and soft stuff. Second hand parts are common (although almost nobody will sell you just a used seat cover as they can't really sell what's left once they remove the cover. You end up having to peay for a seat and telling them to just ship the cover) and reasonable. I've never heard of anybody doing any repairs to worn Tex (it's that durable) but it's just vinyl so it should be easy and cheap to fix.
And;
Leather. Ah yes. Cloth lasts a long time. Tex seems to last forever. MB's with flawless leather are either new or very rare. But you have some options:
The last sentence illustrates that even MB leather succombs to the reality of time and wear. Those that have an old Merc with what they think is perfect leather probably have MB tex, because evidently perfect older MB leathers are few and far between, and probably really well taken care of and pampered..

That should make us feel a bit better about Lexus leather showing wrinkles and wear over time. It's just the nature of leather itself. Better quality leather is a help, but no panacea against the ravages of time and UV attack.( and the human butt!) Cheers

Last edited by Guitarman; 01-24-04 at 06:27 PM.