Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clearing up some Zaino questions (direct from Sal himself)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 02:19 PM
clellandm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrendyTodd
Yes, Lexus/Toyota black does not have a clearcoat. That should not affect polish type though. From what I've heard, there is a clear thats mixed in with the paint. How true this is, I don't know, but I've also heard this from paint/body shop employees.
So no true clearcoat over the black, but possibly mixed in. I believe that there is clear in there somewhere the way the car was shining today!

Which Zaino polish would be best in this case (accounting for proper use of clay bar, their wash, etc) - the Z-2 Pro that is for clear coated paint, or the Z-3 for regular paint?
Old 03-16-09, 06:14 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

I just use Z5 Pro on all types of paints.
Old 03-17-09, 06:59 PM
clellandm
Driver School Candidate

Just Z5 would sure keep things simple.

Reading at the Zaino site, they recommend a multi-step process involving several products - like Z5 almost as a prep for the Z2 or Z3 finish coats. All those steps probably created a market for their 'all in one' product for people who wanted the quality product without the added confusion!
Old 03-20-09, 07:46 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

this may be a dumb question, but seeing that "black" cars do not have a clear coat...does this apply to my "Black Sapphire Pearl" color? It's not "black" so to speak, but it is very dark and the only time you'll know it's blue is when the sun is shining on it.

I've been using Zaino Z2 with ZFX, Z6, Z8 and clay bars. I've never seen a shine that I see after applying Z2 and Z6....WOW!!!
Old 03-20-09, 10:02 AM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtrue28
this may be a dumb question, but seeing that "black" cars do not have a clear coat...does this apply to my "Black Sapphire Pearl" color? It's not "black" so to speak, but it is very dark and the only time you'll know it's blue is when the sun is shining on it.

I've been using Zaino Z2 with ZFX, Z6, Z8 and clay bars. I've never seen a shine that I see after applying Z2 and Z6....WOW!!!
Pearl and Mica colors have clearcoat. Being that your car is dark, you should try a bottle of Z5, as its primarily used for darker colors. You may or may not see a difference from Z2, but I have seen differences between Z5 and Z2. Just my opinion.
Old 03-30-09, 10:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by clellandm
I have heard nothing but good things about Zaino products from a friend with an Infiniti G35, so was reading this thread as well as a few other detailing-related threads before placing the order.

I read something slightly disturbing and wanted to see if anyone could confirm since it affects which polish I will need. I have a 2009 IS250 in Obsidian Black and saw that Lexus doesn't put clearcoat on their black cars. That seems crazy to me, but is it correct?
Not exactly sure about the IS but my black 2001 GS430 has a clearcoat. Pre 2001 black GS cars did not have a clearcoat added on top of the final coat but I believe had clear mixed in with the paint. I believe all black Lexus vehicles after 01 had a separate final clearcoat but maybe I am wrong, I would think your black IS has a clearcoat added after the final paint coat but there is a possibility it is just mixed in. Single stage paint jobs or paint jobs without a final clearcoat layer generally have a deeper darker look to them which is one reason black is more popular for not having a clearcoat added.
Old 04-10-09, 10:38 PM
et025
Rookie

how should i treat surface scratches before using zaino for the first time?
Old 04-18-09, 10:22 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the "duh, now I get it" file:

For nine years I've been using Zaino. Recently I bought a 1990 Buick Reatta (white - original paint in good condition and never been in an accident). I washed the car with Dawn and was ready to apply Zaino AIO and then start with multiple coats of Z5 until, like a V8 moment, thought I'd clay the car (my first time). I always thought claying was a tough PITA thing to do...and I was right but it wasn't that bad.

Since 98% of you know the benefits of claying, I'll skip the process. But the purpose of this post is a message to others that claying is a very important process for Zaino prep (or any significant car care prep). I couldn't believe the difference it makes or should I say, the sediments..the garbage the clay took off the surface of the car (after the Dawn).

I clayed the Reatta and also clayed all but a quarter of the trunk of my Z28. On the Reatta, I've already applied and removed the Z-AIO and have one coat of Z5 (should be able to remove tomorrow and apply/remove additional coats throughout the coming week). On the Z28, I'm on my 3rd coat of Z2 and you can see on the trunk the benefits of claying (I'll finish it off with two coats of Z-CS). Its not a significant difference as the paint is in excellent condition but still, I can tell the difference.

So...just want to reiterate what others have been saying. It is worth taking an extra hour to first clay the car.
Old 08-10-09, 02:31 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28

I have to agree 150%. My car is the beautiful black saphire pearl as well

ZAINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Clearing up some Zaino questions (direct from Sal himself)-img_0028.jpg   Clearing up some Zaino questions (direct from Sal himself)-img_0078.jpg   Clearing up some Zaino questions (direct from Sal himself)-img_0081.jpg   Clearing up some Zaino questions (direct from Sal himself)-img_0080.jpg   Clearing up some Zaino questions (direct from Sal himself)-img_0038.jpg  

Old 09-30-09, 12:46 PM
jimmyXthai
Lead Lap

my gf's car got keyed what would be the best product to use?

i have used scratchx and it helped a little, the scratches are on the clear not down to the paint

thanks
Old 05-16-10, 07:25 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried some of the Zaino product below. The first coat was beautiful and the Zaino makes the car smell absolutely yummy.

However....as my car got dirty...then washed with softened water...then dirty....then washed again I noticed that my paint was coarse if I ran my finger down it.

I applied a layer of Zaino to no effect.

Tonight I took the claybar to the car and the Zaino came off into the clay and I have to say that it sounded a little TOO abrasive to me while coming off.

Now however the car is glass smooth and I'm not so sure if I will apply the Zaino again.

Think about it...your car gets dirty after 1 week of driving. Why would I apply a long lasting product when more frequent maintenance is required?

I think Zaino might be more for the weekend car.

Also...the Zaino 'leather in a bottle' does not smell like leather to me. I prefer Lexol much more and saddle soap from a leather store to clean with.

Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
Code:Z-5
Price: $16.95
Quantity in Basket: none

Description: Darker colored vehicles are prone by the easily visible surface marring or fine scratches from regular maintenance. Z-5 PRO and its micro filling technology gradually reduce the appearance of these surface imperfections without using any abrasives. Without using cheap oils or cheap fillers that merely last until your next car wash, Z-5 PRO protects and lasts like no other product.

Last edited by RyanV; 05-16-10 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-17-10, 11:48 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanV
I tried some of the Zaino product below. The first coat was beautiful and the Zaino makes the car smell absolutely yummy.

However....as my car got dirty...then washed with softened water...then dirty....then washed again I noticed that my paint was coarse if I ran my finger down it.

I applied a layer of Zaino to no effect.

Tonight I took the claybar to the car and the Zaino came off into the clay and I have to say that it sounded a little TOO abrasive to me while coming off.

Now however the car is glass smooth and I'm not so sure if I will apply the Zaino again.

Think about it...your car gets dirty after 1 week of driving. Why would I apply a long lasting product when more frequent maintenance is required?

I think Zaino might be more for the weekend car.

Also...the Zaino 'leather in a bottle' does not smell like leather to me. I prefer Lexol much more and saddle soap from a leather store to clean with.

Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
Code:Z-5
Price: $16.95
Quantity in Basket: none

Description: Darker colored vehicles are prone by the easily visible surface marring or fine scratches from regular maintenance. Z-5 PRO and its micro filling technology gradually reduce the appearance of these surface imperfections without using any abrasives. Without using cheap oils or cheap fillers that merely last until your next car wash, Z-5 PRO protects and lasts like no other product.
What was your prep before you applied Zaino? Zaino is sensitive to the cars surface and won't adhere correctly if the surface is not completely clean and has oils from a polish or other wax. Before applying Zaino you should do an alcohol rubdown or use a stronger soap that will strip any previous wax/polish to make sure the surface is completely clean. You also can't just apply Z2 or Z3 and I believe Z5 without first putting a base layer like ZAIO or flash cure accelerator on it or it won't adhere properly. If you just put a coat of Z5 and did not do a alcohol rubdown to make sure it is perfectly clean and did not put a base coat like ZAIO then the Zaino is not going to adhere as well and won't last that long. I have put ZAIO followed by Z2 on several vehicles and they get several months of protection without any issues, Zaino is one of the longest lasting sealants on the market.

There can be a few reasons for your cars surface being coarse. One of the main reasons is sticky pollen this time of year. Some pollens are so sticky and leave a residue that even after washing some of it still stays on your finish and builds up on your surface until it leaves your finish not feeling smooth anymore. Another thing I have personally seen is if your car is getting sprayed by those trucks that go around at night spraying pesticide for mosquito control, that stuff is pretty nasty and tough to get off and will leave your surface not feeling smooth anymore and have a oily appearance. If your water has more mineral deposits then usual that can adhere to your surface and cause spots and for it to be rougher.
Old 01-07-11, 09:20 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Obviously, this reply is quite remote in time to RyanV's post. (Full disclosure:I have no irons in this fire. I'm a family practice doctor in Arkansas but I have had experience with Sal's stuff since sometime shortly after joining CL thanks to members here.) After reading Ryan's post, I agree with EDel's questions. Nothing (in almost a decade of experience with Zaino products) in that account rings true. I don't doubt Ryan's account of his experience but have to suspect that proper prep was either inadequate or nonexistent. I feel a compulsion to come to Sal's defense. True believers may stop reading here.

My recently sold 01 GS (my factory special order) has been maintained with Zaino since new. I rewaxed twice yearly per recommendations for daily drivers. Nonetheless, my clear coat would still be beading water as if new when time came to rewax! And I wash often - I'm old but I still can't stand to look at crap on my car! Weekend car? Sorry, no.

Lexol to clean leather? Probably a wash. Saddle soap? OK, but not sure that'll make too much difference with aniline dye leather. (Those with more knowledge of different leather finishing might comment here.) I do remember a very detailed, knowledgeable post from long ago (mods, pls pardon me not searching to provide a link - I'm only recently returned to CL, I'm tired, clinic was busy, I've had a reasonably long conversation with Budweiser tonight, and, given the dates on this thread, I suspect no one will read this verbose post for.........months?) And probably Zaino Leather In A Bottle won't either but it certainly smells like a rack full of leather coats in a higher end men's store. (Don't ask. Don't tell. I promise it's not a fetish.)

I have introduced Zaino to many folks over the years. None have been disappointed. And every one of them has gone on to introduce some of their gearhead friends to Zaino.

I'm a cynic. That position is well earned. But Zaino's products do, as far as I can tell, precisely what is claimed (VERY rare in these days and times). No more, no less.

I think that about covers it. I do believe I'll go have another glass of 30 year old tawny port and contemplate the F in the garage.

Post script: I'll post pics of the IS-F once I have opportunity to adequately Zaino. Forecast this weekend is for snow (not common in Arkansas) so not sure how soon that will be. But I can promise I won't have to do the car again for at least 6 months. Really.

Last edited by mooretorque; 01-07-11 at 09:26 PM. Reason: better phrasing and a post script
Old 02-15-11, 11:36 AM
lexusmonk
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clellandm
So no true clearcoat over the black, but possibly mixed in. I believe that there is clear in there somewhere the way the car was shining today!

Which Zaino polish would be best in this case (accounting for proper use of clay bar, their wash, etc) - the Z-2 Pro that is for clear coated paint, or the Z-3 for regular paint?
Anyone have any opinions/suggestions for this question above? Which is best for Obsidian black, Z-2 or Z-3? And do you think you could go back-and-forth between Z-2/Z-3 and Z-5?... Thanks!
Old 02-15-11, 07:01 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusmonk
Anyone have any opinions/suggestions for this question above? Which is best for Obsidian black, Z-2 or Z-3? And do you think you could go back-and-forth between Z-2/Z-3 and Z-5?... Thanks!
pulled this from Zaino site...I beleive last yr.

Many people think that Z-2 works best on light colored cars and Z-5 on dark colors. Others think that alternating layers of each product is better. On my black paint I think that a couple of layers of Z-5 topped with a layer of Z-2 gives the best results.

Myself I purchased z-5 for my black sapphire( dk blue) lexus and wife's black toyota sequoia SUV last yr with excellent results. I generally apply 2-3 applications per session with Z-6( great product ) being applied betw ea z-5 application. Z-6 is a gloss enhancer and works great .
I am thinking of purchasing the Z-2 this Spring to apply an addition to the Z-5. Highly reccommend purchasing the zfx....which a very small amt is mixed with z-5 or z-2,3....it acts as an accelerator and cuts down on wait time between applications . good luck !!

Last edited by JRey350hou; 02-15-11 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Clearing up some Zaino questions (direct from Sal himself)