Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

cleaning inside the headlight covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-03, 02:23 PM
wantalexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning inside the headlight covers

I have a 2000 RX300 that had cloudy or hazy headlight lenses. I have managed to remove all of the scratches and oxidation on the outside of my headlight covers with rubbing compound and polish. However, I noticed that there is still some work to be done on the inside of the covers. How do I remove these to get to the inside? Is this more trouble than it is worth? Is there a danger of not getting it to seal properly after taking it apart? Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 12-04-03, 07:41 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no experience with Lexus headlamp assemblys, but I can only tell you it's been done with the composite lens' units from Fords and other cars by heating them on LOW bake in your oven. It melts the glue that holds them together, and you have to re-seal them with clear silicone after you clean the inside cavity. Personally, I would'nt try it on my Lex, and on my T-Bird I just found junkyard relacements that looked almost new, for $50 for the pair, although others on the SCCoA (T-Bird Supercoupe website) have successfully taken them apart and reglued them as I mentioned. Seems like too much work for me.

I wouldn't know the differences between the Lexus lamps and those of Ford, so it might be risky trying to do the same procedure, when materials and the way they're made *may* be quite different. I guess as a last resort ( If you can't live with them as they are ) you could try it, if you're willing to accept you might ruin them in the process.

Someone else here may know more about the way Lexus makes the lens', and hopefully give you a better answer. Good luck.